Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
if hughes can make the transition and play regular minutes you would think 30 points is in reach over 82 games. if he can handle the nhl i think the offence will be there.
I want 30 in 10.

To start.

We will then reevaluate and slightly temper our expectations for next year. :sarcasm:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Only issue cause some posters dissect each and every word JB says. Were not concerned translates to them as we are not worried about the number of games he plays versus we will take care of the situation. People believe what they want to believe.

Nobody said they believed he'd be exposed in the draft.

Again, the concern (entirely legitimate) was that they would allow him to play so many games that they would have to protect him and, thus, need to expose someone else that they wouldn't otherwise have to.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Nobody said they believed he'd be exposed in the draft.

Again, the concern (entirely legitimate) was that they would allow him to play so many games that they would have to protect him and, thus, need to expose someone else that they wouldn't otherwise have to.
But to his point that’s absurd. He was never getting enough games to need to be protected just like Boeser or Hughes not signing was never a legitimate concern.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
But to his point that’s absurd. He was never getting enough games to need to be protected just like Boeser or Hughes not signing was never a legitimate concern.

Your comment isn't "to his point." His point was that people were worried that Hughes would be exposed in the expansion draft. He's incorrect. That isn't what they were worried about.

As to whether it's absurd to think that management might have allowed Hughes to play over the threshold for expansion draft eligibility, you have a higher opinion of the intelligence of that management group than I do if you think such a possibility extremely unlikely.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Your comment isn't "to his point." His point was that people were worried that Hughes would be exposed in the expansion draft. He's incorrect. That isn't what they were worried about.

As to whether it's absurd to think that management might have allowed Hughes to play over the threshold for expansion draft eligibility, you have a higher opinion of the intelligence of that management group than I do if you think such a possibility extremely unlikely.
Lol he thought we wouldn’t protect him? Now that is absurd. But it’s equally absurd that we would play Hughes 11 games. Do you think In the entire organization there isn’t anyone smart enough to understand what the 10 game threshold means with regard to the expansion draft? Looking for drama

Reactions: Nomobo

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Lol he thought we wouldn’t protect him? Now that is absurd. But it’s equally absurd that we would play Hughes 11 games. Do you think In the entire organization there isn’t anyone smart enough to understand what the 10 game threshold means with regard to the expansion draft? Looking for drama

To the first: He thought that others were saying there was a chance he wouldn't be protected. But nobody was saying that.

To the second: I fear that those in the organization who are that smart may be legion (secretaries, janitors, scouts, etc.), but they don't have the ear of a senior management that is prone to utterly bizarre magical thinking. I'm not saying they would have played him that many games, but that it wouldn't have surprised me if they had.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
To the first: He thought that others were saying there was a chance he wouldn't be protected. But nobody was saying that.

To the second: I fear that those in the organization who are that smart may be legion (secretaries, janitors, scouts, etc.), but they don't have the ear of a senior management that is prone to utterly bizarre magical thinking. I'm not saying they would have played him that many games, but that it wouldn't have surprised me if they had.
Brackett doesn’t have Bennings ear? Seems like a pretty smart guy

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Sergachev’s 17-18 season is a reasonable expectation.

15 minutes/game hugely sheltered with 80% o-zone starts and heavy PP usage where he racks up a fair few points. Probably not quite as many as Sergachev without Stamkos and Kucherov but getting to 30-35 total shouldn’t be unreasonable.
Agreed

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I thought it was a little weird that Green said Quinn has a good shot. It's probably the weakest part of his game. He said he can get it through. I'm not so sure. His shot isn't very hard. I do think that will hold him back a bit at first. Sergachev has a rocket. I expect most of his points will be assists, but who knows?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I thought it was a little weird that Green said Quinn has a good shot. It's probably the weakest part of his game. He said he can get it through. I'm not so sure. His shot isn't very hard. I do think that will hold him back a bit at first. Sergachev has a rocket. I expect most of his points will be assists, but who knows?
With Brock and EP capable of one timers I suspect the PK guys will lean closer to them. If that helps to open a lane for Hughes to get it in net, that will be the main objective for him. Will need a strong net front guy to screen the goalie since The goalie will have a split second more to track the shot.

How many guys his size would possess a rocket?

Can look at greens comment like you would when it comes to skating. There’s speed, edgework, Being strong on your skates, quickness. Sid and Forsberg are/were not burners like McDavid but they are hard to knock off the puck.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
With Brock and EP capable of one timers I suspect the PK guys will lean closer to them. If that helps to open a lane for Hughes to get it in net, that will be the main objective for him. Will need a strong net front guy to screen the goalie since The goalie will have a split second more to track the shot.

How many guys his size would possess a rocket?
Krug has an absolute cannon and they're similar size. I'm hoping he develops a better shot. His shot is accurate but it's just not very hard. I agree, he's gonna have a ton of space. And he's dynamic the way he moves, I can't wait to see him on the PP.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Do you think In the entire organization there isn’t anyone smart enough to understand what the 10 game threshold means with regard to the expansion draft?
"Luca Sbisa will be a top 4 defensemen for us"
"Sutter is a foundational player for us"

Does this kind of judgement sound unquestionable? How about this sequence of trades

Kesler = Bonino, Sbisa, McCann, 3rd = Sutter, Gudbranson, Dorsett = injured Sutter, Tanner Pearson

How to turn a gritty Selke power forward centre (maybe the single most derivable asset in the league) into Tanner Pearson.

[minus a third (85th overall), 2nd (55 overall), 2nd (33 overall), 4th (94 overall]

That is the chain of events from those brilliant men in the organization.

The people you speak of who understood the CBA and Salary Cap etc. were coerced out of the organization years ago.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not to defend this management group but player analysis/assessment is different than being able to understand the rules of the expansion draft.

They were locked into the mindset of compete while the twins were still around. Thus all the moves were made with that mindset. It was the wrong call.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I can’t remember who did an article on the softer wrist shots from the point being more effective than most think. But the whole point is getting the puck at least to the net, where forwards can hopefully tip or retrieve rebounds. Troy Stecher for a smaller guy has a pretty solid slap shot in his game, but he rarely gets the puck through. Ben Hutton has a weak slap shot game, but a decently accurate wrist shot that gets through and has at least on more occasions than Stecher’s, created second opportunities on the puck.
It’ll be interesting to watch Quinn work the line with possession, as so far the only impressive Canucks defenceman who can do this trait is Alex Biega.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I can’t remember who did an article on the softer wrist shots from the point being more effective than most think. But the whole point is getting the puck at least to the net, where forwards can hopefully tip or retrieve rebounds. Troy Stecher for a smaller guy has a pretty solid slap shot in his game, but he rarely gets the puck through. Ben Hutton has a weak slap shot game, but a decently accurate wrist shot that gets through and has at least on more occasions than Stecher’s, created second opportunities on the puck.
It’ll be interesting to watch Quinn work the line with possession, as so far the only impressive Canucks defenceman who can do this trait is Alex Biega.
I'm most excited to see him work the line and beat forwards from the point. He's so dynamic up there. That's where his crazy skating ability comes in. He's a really good passer too, so he's still dangerous. I agree, wristers are huge, but even Quinn's wrist shot is pretty weak.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I'm most excited to see him work the line and beat forwards from the point. He's so dynamic up there. That's where his crazy skating ability comes in. He's a really good passer too, so he's still dangerous. I agree, wristers are huge, but even Quinn's wrist shot is pretty weak.
He’s the type of creative defenceman who can move the along the line and set up passing lanes on the PP to open up Petey/Boeser more often again.
If the Canucks are going to keep Chris Tanev around, at 5v5 I’d look at keeping him with Quinn. That allows the Edler/Stecher pairing to reunited, which has helped Eddie more often than not.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

A good shot doesn't nessarily mean a hard shot. Quinn has a muffin of a shot, but many have noted that he's actually pretty accurate with it. He's good at getting it past shot blockers, something most of our D-corp aren't skilled at. That is thanks to his skating mobility and his edgework more than anything. He gets in position quick and makes it hard to take away his angle.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
A good shot doesn't nessarily mean a hard shot. Quinn has a muffin of a shot, but many have noted that he's actually pretty accurate with it. He's good at getting it past shot blockers, something most of our D-corp aren't skilled at. That is thanks to his skating mobility and his edgework more than anything. He gets in position quick and makes it hard to take away his angle.
This is a fair point, and I pointed out his shot is accurate actually, because it is. But I still think it needs to improve. NHL goalies are a big step up from NCAA goalies and it looked a bit soft at the NCAA level.

I love Quinn Hughes. My favorite prospect in that draft outside of Dahlin. But I still think his shot needs to improve. We'll see though, I can't wait for the speculation to end! We're gonna see him in action real soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad