Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes Pt. II | Will return to Michigan, Apr. / Sep. join date possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
the guy present at hughes birth who wanted to go to the podium if detroit picked him was very happy. otoh all of them were extremely excited when hayton was picked meaning they liked both picks.

No doubt they liked both picks, just comes down to which one they liked more. For my part I don't really care that they liked Hughes more than Zadina. I think it's defensible purely on a BPA level without factoring in positional need (which I dislike). But obviously others disagree.

Feb 20, 2013
Everyone knows the draft doesn't go according to public insight. That's not your point. Your point was: Who cares if VAN had Hughes ahead of Zadina, they didn't get the chance to choose, so it doesn't matter. [paraphrased]

Your other point is "Don't be negative".

Both of these points are not actually points. It is absolutely, without question, valid to question why VAN had Hughes ahead of Zadina. Next, being negative or positive has no bearing on the first point.

While your point about it being valid to question the draft order is a good one; such questioning should not be applied in this scenario for two principle reasons:

1. Just because Weisbrod fist pumped does not mean that Hughes was ranked ahead of Zadina by the Canucks as an organization.

2. It is likely correct to fist-pump, or at least seem excited about whomever you get to pick regardless of whether or not they were the one you wanted. Your visible excitement as a representative for the organization will help sell your pick to the fans (as evidenced by the reaction to the video in question) and you are, as a hockey executive, more invested in the business of selling things to fans than anything else (including winning [though winning usually does sell well]).

Reactions: Catbug

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
No doubt they liked both picks, just comes down to which one they liked more. For my part I don't really care that they liked Hughes more than Zadina. I think it's defensible purely on a BPA level without factoring in positional need (which I dislike). But obviously others disagree.

i dunno either. i am curious what made zadina such a faller relative to predraft expectations and stats. i am equally curious what made detroit pass on hughes for zadina after their coach saw him up close for a month and he bonded with their best young forward.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
While your point about it being valid to question the draft order is a good one; such questioning should not be applied in this scenario for two principle reasons:

1. Just because Weisbrod fist pumped does not mean that Hughes was ranked ahead of Zadina by the Canucks as an organization.

2. It is likely correct to fist-pump, or at least seem excited about whomever you get to pick regardless of whether or not they were the one you wanted. Your visible excitement as a representative for the organization will help sell your pick to the fans (as evidenced by the reaction to the video in question) and you are, as a hockey executive, more invested in the business of selling things to fans than anything else (including winning [though winning usually does sell well]).

Point 1 is correct. Point 2 doesn't make sense to me. The Canucks group was in the moment and reacting to what was happening, not calculatedly thinking about how they should try to appear in a video that would be released to fans in a months time. I think it's fair to say their excitement to get Hughes was genuine, and not staged.

Reactions: Bougieman

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
what we saw on this draft i think is that the canucks were stunned and happy to have the option of zadina or hughes fall to them when az picked hayton.

from that i think they had both those players rated 4th or lower , and would be ecstatic to get either at 7th.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Don't like the stuff about Weisbrod basically being Quinn Hughes godfather. Alarm bells.
Nepotism is indeed dangerous, and could lead to complications. For right now, Hughes was definitely the right pick, so it doesn't worry me. If they had picked him over some other obvious choice, I would be significantly more concerned.

Reactions: Catbug

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I believe it was Brackett that said Hughes when asked who to take between the two.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
i dunno either. i am curious what made zadina such a faller relative to predraft expectations and stats. i am equally curious what made detroit pass on hughes for zadina after their coach saw him up close for a month and he bonded with their best young forward.

According to Botchford, the wings weren't taking Hughes even if Zadina didn't fall. They would have seen a lot of him given U of M is in their backyard too.

Edit: Source

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Going from jimbo's tone during the interview on tsn1o40, I think quinn goes back.
Before he sounded so giddy at the fact he was gonna sign, now he seemed hesitant.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Going from jimbo's tone during the interview on tsn1o40, I think quinn goes back.
Before he sounded so giddy at the fact he was gonna sign, now he seemed hesitant.

#insulated

giphy.gif

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
The wings were taking Hughes, they even had a sizzler video of Ken Holland speaking about Hughes before their draft selection.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Could have been a smokescreen.

lol no, this isn't some large conspiracy. Teams usually have a good idea what other teams are picking in the early stages of the draft, they talk with each other. You can see even the media had a good idea of which team was picking who before they even made their selection on draft day.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
lol no, this isn't some large conspiracy. Teams usually have a good idea what other teams are picking in the early stages of the draft, they talk with each other. You can see even the media had a good idea of which team was picking who before they even made their selection on draft day.

Did LV know who Vancouver was picking at #5 in 2017?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yes, thats why they declined our offer to move back a spot. They wanted Glass the whole time.

Well ya, cause Jimbo let the cat out of the bag when they started chatting on the draft floor. But according to PD, that conversation should never have taken place because MacPhee should have already known who we were taking beforehand.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I would expect most teams in the top 7 had Zadina in the in the top 5, it is just likely they had one or more players available ranked ahead of him.

Montreal drafted for need, a centre, their player was ranked top 5 on Bob's consensus list.

Tkachuck was ranked #4 and went top #4.

Arizona went off the board. The only team that really surprised was AZ, that pick was WTFish and I'm still shocked they didn't move down for free picks.

Montreal drafting for need and Arizona going off the board he'd have gone top 4/5. I don't think there was anything wrong with him, just circumstances (mostly AZ) allowed him to get to Detroit. Hughes got pushed to 7 by the better rated prospect, not an issue.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Actually, Botch said that DET wasn't going to take Hughes. He heard rumblings that they had somebody else in mind. That that for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad