Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes Pt. II | Will return to Michigan, Apr. / Sep. join date possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I only see 1 ranking at #3. Anyways, average rank is 6.9. Then again Zadina fell 3 spots, so you gotta think that the only draft rankings that matter are the teams draft rankings. What's Pettersson's draft ranking now? I think these guys know what they're doing.

You think so?

Team rankings matter in that they decide where the player goes, but it will be a while yet to see which team decisions were valid.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I only see 1 ranking at #3. Anyways, average rank is 6.9. Then again Zadina fell 3 spots, so you gotta think that the only draft rankings that matter are the teams draft rankings. What's Pettersson's draft ranking now? I think these guys know what they're doing.

I think the only thing that matters is how a player ultimately turns out. I was merely responding to the earlier suggestion that Hughes had no business falling to 7. Other than Hayton, every player before him was generally expected to go before Hughes so him going at 7 is entirely unsurprising.

zoolander09

Oct 23, 2009
Would like to see him spend another year in college so he can mature a bit more physically.
If he's signed I hope they at least let him play.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In my mind, I think it is safer that Hughes spends another year in college getting stronger. In my heart, I want to see Hughes play 82 games for the Canucks and look like a legitimate top pairing Dman in 2019-2020.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Could very well be. We will never really know. I don’t think anyone really knows what it means.

You're reading it wrong, they were fist pumping because they were going to get Hughes.

Or maybe you just like to complain.

Actually, I'm going to go with the second scenario as the most likely option.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Quinn Hughes will go back to Michigan to play with his brother Jack, the consensus #1 pick in next year's draft....and like it so much, he'll play out his junior and senior years, and then become a UFA so he can play with the NHL team that drafts his brother. Better get him signed Jimbo.
His brother won't play three years of college hockey. I doubt he plays two years there.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
You really think Zadina's going to win a Calder ahead of Svechnikov and Dahlin?
This should be a great Calder year. Dahlin is front runner, but Svetch, Zadina, and Pettersson could all be up there as well. Hughes, even if he plays in the NHL, would be a massive longshot. Still, that race is probably the most interesting thing to follow this year for Canucks fans, besides watching all the prospects develop in Utica.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
No he'll go back to Michigan for another year to play with his brother. I have never thought it made sense for him to sign now.

You do know Jack isnt even playing for Michigan right? He didnt accelerate his schooling so hes going to be back with the US program next year.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I’d actually have to agree here that having Hughes over Zadina seemed puzzling.
It's not puzzling at all.

Who was the player that this fan base talked about and wanted the most @ 7?

I think its pretty clear that Francisco Aquilini's public relations and marketing team made this pick given who was still on the board...same crap happened with Pettersson last year.

Reactions: The Drop

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Now we are debating wether it was a right thing for ranking him ahead of zadina ? That might have been valid if we did take Hughes ahead of zadina but that’s not the point right now. Zadina wasn’t available to us, also being drafted by Detroit means we might not see him Su quickly.

This forum .....man oh man........

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Now we are debating wether it was a right thing for ranking him ahead of zadina ? That might have been valid if we did take Hughes ahead of zadina but that’s not the point right now. Zadina wasn’t available to us, also being drafted by Detroit means we might not see him Su quickly.

Thats what i was thinking too. We are arguing over if they had someone already taken above or below someone else :laugh:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You really think Zadina's going to win a Calder ahead of Svechnikov and Dahlin?

I don’t even think zadina will be in the same rookie year as Dhalin svech.

It's not puzzling at all.

Who was the player that this fan base talked about and wanted the most @ 7?

I think its pretty clear that Francisco Aquilini's public relations and marketing team made this pick given who was still on the board...same crap happened with Pettersson last year.

Nope it’s not clear at all, did they wanted to pick someone else ? Clear the enlighten me. Hughes was the bpa at that point.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

You think debating the quality of our scouting staff is out of place on a hockey forum?

If our scouts had Hughes ahead of Zadina it's worthy of discussion, just as it would be if we had Hughes ahead of Dahlin and Svechnikov even though they were never available to us.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

So it's only valid if we Hughes is chosen over Zadina? It doesn't matter that we know that they had Hughes ranked higher, and that this in itself is an oddity? Think again Lawrence. Debating the legitimacy of their thought process, which seems incorrect here, is absolutely valid. HF isn't the place where these types of questions get shoved under the rug.

Now in saying that, they didn't have the opportunity to choose. That probably saved them a lot of backlash. It's not 2016 all over again. Any resulting debate will definitely not have the same teeth. Take solace in that.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Thats what i was thinking too. We are arguing over if they had someone already taken above or below someone else :laugh:

Well, yeah, because either they arrived at that opinion before the scenario unfolded, or they came to that opinion like ten seconds before they made their pick. Either one is worth discussing. Which do think it was?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You think debating the quality of our scouting staff is out of place on a hockey forum?

If our scouts had Hughes ahead of Zadina it's worthy of discussion, just as it would be if we had Hughes ahead of Dahlin and Svechnikov even though they were never available to us.

To be fair, that poster thinks debating (period) is out of place on this forum. Just cheer and defend. That’s all we should do.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No he'll go back to Michigan for another year to play with his brother. I have never thought it made sense for him to sign now.

It makes a lot of sense for him to sign now if he thinks he is ready to play in the NHL and he thinks there is a spot/the Canucks will open up a spot for him. There is also the AHL option where he might decide to be better for his development and where he will almost certainly get a chance to make his NHL debut.

Maybe it's the spending time growing in Toronto part but if you listen to him talk and his dad talk, the dream isn't to play with his brother on the same team or win the Frozen Four championships. You don't really hear them talk about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad