Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes Pt. II | Will return to Michigan, Apr. / Sep. join date possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
So it's only valid if we Hughes is chosen over Zadina? It doesn't matter that we know that they had Hughes ranked higher, and that this in itself is an oddity? Think again Lawrence. Debating the legitimacy of their thought process, which seems incorrect here, is absolutely valid. HF isn't the place where these types of questions get shoved under the rug.

Now in saying that, they didn't have the opportunity to choose. That probably saved them a lot of backlash. It's not 2016 all over again. Any resulting debate will definitely not have the same teeth. Take solace in that.

what's so odd bout it? Arizona and Montreal also had at least one player no one would have thought of ahead of Zadina. so what's my point RIGHT NOW? my point RIGHT NOW, is a lot of times, the actual draft ranking usually will not go accordingly to the scouting sources we read online, and to this point, as a long time hockey fan like yourself, SHOULD BE USE TO STUFF LIKE THIS happening by now. I"m sure no one saw Hayton going ahead of Zadina right? no ranking sources had him higher, absolutly none, so if a team has Hayton ranked higher then Zadina, then it shouldn't be a surprise if another team has a Hughes ranked ahead of Zadina, what's so puzzling? I'm sure this is not your first draft your followed closely Ronning, like cmon, it seems like there are a certain people here that want to neg on the Canucks no matter what happens, I thought most of us would be estatic that Hughes fell to us, but it seems like somehow we found someone to piss on again.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You think debating the quality of our scouting staff is out of place on a hockey forum?

If our scouts had Hughes ahead of Zadina it's worthy of discussion, just as it would be if we had Hughes ahead of Dahlin and Svechnikov even though they were never available to us.

It is a far more likely scenario for a Hughes to be ranked higher then Zadina, as then for him to be ranked ahead of Dhalin, at this point this is not the topic nor did it happen. The reason why i'm saying this, is because, Zadina actually dropped, as for the other guys actually didn't drop. Not to mention 3 other teams also passed up on Zadina, and not to mention Zadina wasn't even available for us anyways

"
You think debating the quality of our scouting staff is out of place on a hockey forum?"

I think this should be management thread.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
what's so odd bout it? Arizona and Montreal also had at least one player no one would have thought of ahead of Zadina. so what's my point RIGHT NOW? my point RIGHT NOW, is a lot of times, the actual draft ranking usually will not go accordingly to the scouting sources we read online, and to this point, as a long time hockey fan like yourself, SHOULD BE USE TO STUFF LIKE THIS happening by now. I"m sure no one saw Hayton going ahead of Zadina right? no ranking sources had him higher, absolutly none, so if a team has Hayton ranked higher then Zadina, then it shouldn't be a surprise if another team has a Hughes ranked ahead of Zadina, what's so puzzling? I'm sure this is not your first draft your followed closely Ronning, like cmon, it seems like there are a certain people here that want to neg on the Canucks no matter what happens, I thought most of us would be estatic that Hughes fell to us, but it seems like somehow we found someone to piss on again.

Everyone knows the draft doesn't go according to public insight. That's not your point. Your point was: Who cares if VAN had Hughes ahead of Zadina, they didn't get the chance to choose, so it doesn't matter. [paraphrased]

Your other point is "Don't be negative".

Both of these points are not actually points. It is absolutely, without question, valid to question why VAN had Hughes ahead of Zadina. Next, being negative or positive has no bearing on the first point.

Reactions: Krnuckfan

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
It makes a lot of sense for him to sign now if he thinks he is ready to play in the NHL and he thinks there is a spot/the Canucks will open up a spot for him. There is also the AHL option where he might decide to be better for his development and where he will almost certainly get a chance to make his NHL debut.

Maybe it's the spending time growing in Toronto part but if you listen to him talk and his dad talk, the dream isn't to play with his brother on the same team or win the Frozen Four championships. You don't really hear them talk about that.
I think he could use another year of development at Michigan myself. and I don't think the kind of year we're likely to endure upcoming here is something he's likely to regret missing. No real downside to spending another year in college that I can see. I guess I'd like to see him be as well prepared as possible for what will be in store for him here.

Reactions: sting101 and F A N

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I think quite a few people in the industry had those players rated ahead of Zadina. Perhaps not here on this board but that doesn't matter. People get hung up on consensus; look at the reaction last year when we took Pettersson.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think quite a few people in the industry had those players rated ahead of Zadina. Perhaps not here on this board but that doesn't matter. People get hung up on consensus; look at the reaction last year when we took Pettersson.

Consenus, a form of, is the only reason Bob McKenzie's list is as revered as it is. Consensus places Dahlin at the top of this draft. Consensus had Svechnikov and Zadina as #2 and #3 respectively in this draft. Whether you realize it or not, whatever judgement fans, media or even teams make about this draft, they do it with consensus in mind. It's unavoidable.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Consenus, a form of, is the only reason Bob McKenzie's list is as revered as it is. Consensus places Dahlin at the top of this draft. Consensus had Svechnikov and Zadina as #2 and #3 respectively in this draft. Whether you realize it or not, whatever judgement fans, media or even teams make about this draft, they do it with consensus in mind. It's unavoidable.
Agreed. I guess I'm just saying that we shouldn't be surprised to see teams break from the consensus, it happens every year and this year was no different. It seemed to pay dividends for us last year. Let's hope luck is in our favor once again ;)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think he could use another year of development at Michigan myself. and I don't think the kind of year we're likely to endure upcoming here is something he's likely to regret missing. No real downside to spending another year in college that I can see. I guess I'd like to see him be as well prepared as possible for what will be in store for him here.

Ya. That's why I said my mind thinks another year of college while my heart hopes he signs and comes in and plays like a stud out of the gate.

But ya, if he signs, I would be excited but more worried. If he goes back to college I would be relieved but slightly disappointed.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
By the way, I do really like Zadina myself. I think he's probably one of two or three from this draft that might play this year. Very little not to like there. I get the impression this staff was drafting for need early again to some extent. Just my hunch.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think quite a few people in the industry had those players rated ahead of Zadina.

You mean Brett Hayton? that was more of a shocker to everyone.

Everyone knows the draft doesn't go according to public insight. That's not your point. Your point was: Who cares if VAN had Hughes ahead of Zadina, they didn't get the chance to choose, so it doesn't matter. [paraphrased]

to some extent it actually doesn't matter since even the team had no control over it since Zadina was already taken. We had a legit argument in 2016 when Juolevi was taken ahead of Tkachuk, but not this time around.

valid to question why VAN had Hughes ahead of Zadina.

here's my take.

both players are highly offensive players, Benning a couple years ago did say that if its close between a foward or a dman, they will lean towards the offensive generating dman, not to mention Hughes did impress at the world champions, made team USA as a teenager, Zadina didn't even make his countries team, making team usa defence is harder to crack the Czech team as a foward, reasons why I think the Canucks might like him more, plus I think they favor more on dmans over fowards, plus I think it's perfect for our organization to get another offensive d, since we are stacked on fowards.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
You mean Brett Hayton? that was more of a shocker to everyone.

I was referring to Brady Tkachuk and Hayton, yes. Hayton was something of a surprise going there, yes, but I don't think it rose to the level of being a shocker. There were rumblings in the late going that his stock was on the rise. And he did fill a need at center that was in short supply this year.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I was referring to Brady Tkachuk and Hayton, yes. Hayton was something of a surprise going there, yes, but I don't think it rose to the level of being a shocker. There were rumblings in the late going that his stock was on the rise. And he did fill a need at center that was in short supply this year.

ohhh the idea of passing on bpa for need, plenty of centremans this years draft.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Well, yeah, because either they arrived at that opinion before the scenario unfolded, or they came to that opinion like ten seconds before they made their pick. Either one is worth discussing. Which do think it was?
We got Hughes Robbie. Compare him to Boquist or Dobson or anyone after 7

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
It is a far more likely scenario for a Hughes to be ranked higher then Zadina, as then for him to be ranked ahead of Dhalin, at this point this is not the topic nor did it happen. The reason why i'm saying this, is because, Zadina actually dropped, as for the other guys actually didn't drop. Not to mention 3 other teams also passed up on Zadina, and not to mention Zadina wasn't even available for us anyways

"
You think debating the quality of our scouting staff is out of place on a hockey forum?"

I think this should be management thread.

I think discussing our draft list based on performance, regardless of where players actually went, is absolutely valid.

I think given that we're directly comparing Hughes to Zadina in this context it's valid for it to be discussed here, though I would agree that to discuss our scouting as a whole it wouldn't belong here.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Honestly I wouldn't have been too offended if we had gone and taken Hughes with Zadina on the board. Zadina is talented yes, but I do not know if I see an elite first liner in the making here. I see some tantalizing potential for our pick to be a top offensive D in the league for years to come though.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Honestly I wouldn't have been too offended if we had gone and taken Hughes with Zadina on the board. Zadina is talented yes, but I do not know if I see an elite first liner in the making here. I see some tantalizing potential for our pick to be a top offensive D in the league for years to come though.

Agreed. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have ranked Hughes ahead of Zadina. They're both older draft eligibles. Hughes was a top defenseman in college, while Zadina was a dominant player in junior.

My personal board looked like Dahlin, followed by Svechnikov, and then I viewed Zadina/Hughes fairly interchangeable at 3/4. To walk out with either is fantastic, and if pressed, I probably would rate Hughes higher anyway.

I do hope Hughes signs this summer though. Not because I want him on the Canucks roster (no please keep him far far away from the tire fire), but I think it would be beneficial to get him to start defending against guys in the pros. It would be great to put all our prospects in a positive environment where they can develop (Utica).

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
So there’s 6 weeks until classes start. Is there a specific cut off date that Hughes will have to tell Michigan he’s coming back or can he put the decision off until then? I know the reports said they’d make the decision by this week but is there anything stopping them from not making a decision for another month or so?

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
By the way, I do really like Zadina myself. I think he's probably one of two or three from this draft that might play this year. Very little not to like there. I get the impression this staff was drafting for need early again to some extent. Just my hunch.

Who’s to say we wouldn’t have drafted Zadina if we had the chance? From the report it was only one scout fist pumping.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
is there any evidence hughes was ranked higher than zadina other than the usual after the fact tire pumping?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
is there any evidence hughes was ranked higher than zadina other than the usual after the fact tire pumping?

By the Canucks you mean? Only evidence I would think is their reaction in the video, which suggests they were happy to see Zadina go at 6 than disappointed.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
By the Canucks you mean? Only evidence I would think is their reaction in the video, which suggests they were happy to see Zadina go at 6 than disappointed.

the guy present at hughes birth who wanted to go to the podium if detroit picked him was very happy. otoh all of them were extremely excited when hayton was picked meaning they liked both picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad