Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes Pt. II | Will return to Michigan, Apr. / Sep. join date possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Last post from previous thread:

I'm quite happy with the Canucks drafting the past 4 years minus Juolevi.

Boeser, Petterson, Hughes is a really good core to build around. Regardless if we are bottom or middle pack next year, at least the young guys will give me the motivation to tune in.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
First.

images

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
So that dude randomly claimed that his source told him Hughes is going pro and like no one responded lol.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Personally don’t care if he signs now or not. I just want him to develop this coming season. Him being signed won’t change the fortunes of the Canucks this season. So, where should he play to best grow his game for the future?

I doubt playing for the Canucks improves his biggest weakness which is his strength. He won’t have The time off to do that with their travel schedule.

Is he best served back at Michigan with a minimal course load and 40 game schedule or better off in the ahl with a 70 odd game schedule but no school to deal with?

How’s the D coaching in the ahl vs Michigan? Can’t say I follow the ahl coaching staffs or NCAA staffs that much to know who will help Hughes more.

Reactions: VancouverCanucks36

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
I doubt playing for the Canucks improves his biggest weakness which is his strength. He won’t have The time off to do that with their travel schedule.
He is 4 (or 5, depending on who you ask) inches shorter than Pettersson, yet weighs 10 pounds more. Strength is not his biggest weakness.

I would argue his biggest weakness is lack of experience of defending professional grown men. He's got the skating and smarts to be able to do it effectively, just needs experience. A great time for him to figure it out and make the growing pain mistakes he will inevitably make is next year, helping us to be able to draft his brother!

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I cannot stop laughing at the Canucks scout who actually fist pumped when Zadina was chosen before our pick. They are going to replay that as a meme for a decade after Zadina wins the calder.
Except that Hughes has a really unique skill set and one that we desperately need. Zadina is a winger with a good shot. He'll be a good player. He may even be better than Hughes objectively. But there's a strong chance that Hughes is better, and when you take team needs and positional value into consideration it makes a lot more sense.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Except that Hughes has a really unique skill set and one that we desperately need. Zadina is a winger with a good shot. He'll be a good player. He may even be better than Hughes objectively. But there's a strong chance that Hughes is better, and when you take team needs and positional value into consideration it makes a lot more sense.
I was hoping DET chose Hughes as I’m a big Zadina fan but we still got lucky this draft imo. Hughes had no business falling to 7.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Quinn Hughes will go back to Michigan to play with his brother Jack, the consensus #1 pick in next year's draft....and like it so much, he'll play out his junior and senior years, and then become a UFA so he can play with the NHL team that drafts his brother. Better get him signed Jimbo.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Quinn Hughes will go back to Michigan to play with his brother Jack, the consensus #1 pick in next year's draft....and like it so much, he'll play out his junior and senior years, and then become a UFA so he can play with the NHL team that drafts his brother. Better get him signed Jimbo.
Do we have to have this conversation every time we draft a kid from the NCAA? :facepalm:
Posters on here said it about Boeser, Demko, and Gaudette. It was silly to worry about it for them and it’s silly to worry about it now.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

why would jack go to michigan

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Except Jack isn't going to play in Michigan.

Do better.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Its right to be concerned about that but i think we can hold off on worrying til we really know whats gonna happen in the next couple a days or weeks

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Ya I don’t follow consensus lists. And he was ranked 3rd by several publications as well.

Several? I’m aware of Pronman and Canucks Army ranking him that high. Unless there’s more that’s not several. Most had him 5-8 as I said. Saying he had “no business” flies against the majority of scouting opinions, regardless of what you think of them.

Reactions: thefeebster

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Several? I’m aware of Pronman and Canucks Army ranking him that high. Unless there’s more that’s not several. Most had him 5-8 as I said. Saying he had “no business” flies against the majority of scouting opinions, regardless of what you think of them.
Dobber as well. So just adjust your post to 3-8 and we are all good.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
2018 NHL Draft Rankings

Look for yourself. 3 rankings had him at 3. All others were 5-8, which is the majority of rankings, including the generally most respected ones (Hockey Prospects, Mackenzie).
I only see 1 ranking at #3. Anyways, average rank is 6.9. Then again Zadina fell 3 spots, so you gotta think that the only draft rankings that matter are the teams draft rankings. What's Pettersson's draft ranking now? I think these guys know what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->