Injury Report: Quincey to see a doctor next week regarding his ankle (UPD: Quincey out 9-12 weeks)

Actual Thought*

Should be Kindl but knowing KH Marchy will be sent down.

Logic would dictate Marchy getting sent down. You don't just waive roster players. Depth is obviously important as is evidenced by Q going down or Pav, or Pulks, or Miller....... You need all the bodies you can get. Marchy needs to be playing so he is better off in GR. Kindl can sit because it won't hurt his development. "Knowing KH" means knowing he is smart enough to value depth.

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
Logic would dictate Marchy getting sent down. You don't just waive roster players. Depth is obviously important as is evidenced by Q going down or Pav, or Pulks, or Miller....... You need all the bodies you can get. Marchy needs to be playing so he is better off in GR. Kindl can sit because it won't hurt his development. "Knowing KH" means knowing he is smart enough to value depth.

I don't like that logic. Best player should play. Its not like we don't have other guys in GR that can come up and play and be as good as Smith and Kindl and actually have upside.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
A year ago I would have agreed. But Marchenko has taken a step forward this year. He is playing better than both Smith and Kindl and is one reason our defense is looking improved. It's getting about time to cut ties with Kindl. Waive him. Pretty decent chance he clears meaning we retain our depth.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, we need another d man. Right now 2 of Smith, Kindl, Marchenko is guaranteed to be in the lineup at any given time. Marchy's started to look better but I'd still feel 100x better if we could get a middle pairing guy and keep E out of the top4 all while shoving one of Smith/Kindl out of the lineup.

Nope.

Kronwall - Green
DeKeyser - Ericsson
Quincey - Marchenko

Quincey pushes Smith/kindl out of lineup and then we have the best D since Rafalski retired. No weak links.

You can't build it any better losing better assets or creating another problem elsewhere.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I know we won't but I'd waive Kindl (probably clear) and let Smith be 7th man

Aug 6, 2012

You can waive roster players pretty easily when you have plenty of them already and Jensen + XO down in GR.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
yeah kindl doesn't get claimed I don't think. not with the cap hit and term. would be good for him to play regularly too

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I think kindly would get claimed though, his play recently has been good so a team like cbj/Colorado could pick him up to hopefully get him to play good to later trade him as a rental next year. I mean kindly isn't that bad imo

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Kindl gets claimed easily. If Nestrasil and Ferraro do. So do Kindl.

They also get about 10 games of scoring from him. instantly. probably about 7 or 8 points

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
A year ago I would have agreed. But Marchenko has taken a step forward this year. He is playing better than both Smith and Kindl and is one reason our defense is looking improved. It's getting about time to cut ties with Kindl. Waive him. Pretty decent chance he clears meaning we retain our depth.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...es-detroit-red-wings-alexey-marchenko-so-good

Here's an interesting article on Marchenko. He has a quiet yet effective type of style to his game.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Kindl gets claimed easily. If Nestrasil and Ferraro do. So do Kindl.

They also get about 10 games of scoring from him. instantly. probably about 7 or 8 points
I think the contract is why he could pass. If he was on a cheap 1-year deal he'd be claimed instantly. Maybe some team with a lot of cap space and bad defense claims him, but it wouldn't be a great loss.

Actual Thought*

And the Marchy gets hurt like he already has multiple times. (never played a full season in GR) Now you are down 2 defencemen. Not smart.

You can waive roster players pretty easily when you have plenty of them already and Jensen + XO down in GR.

So your prospects can rot in the press box? That would be very foolish. We are better off with Kindl rotting in the press box and prospects playing. Development 101.

I think the contract is why he could pass. If he was on a cheap 1-year deal he'd be claimed instantly. Maybe some team with a lot of cap space and bad defense claims him, but it wouldn't be a great loss.

His cap hit would be pro rated and he would get snatched up immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And the Marchy gets hurt like he already has multiple times. (never played a full season in GR) Now you are down 2 defencemen. Not smart.
That is betting on 2 things to happen: Kindl to get claimed AND Marchenko getting injured. Big chance at least one of those things wouldn't happen.
And regardless, between Smith and Ouellet we should be able to survive anyway.

His cap hit would be pro rated and he would get snatched up immediately.
He was 1 year left though. Any team picking him up would either need to include him in their plans for next season or waive/trade him themselves.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That is betting on 2 things to happen: Kindl to get claimed AND Marchenko getting injured. Big chance at least one of those things wouldn't happen.

He was 1 year left though. Any team picking him up would either need to include him in their plans for next season or waive/trade him themselves.

That, and the one year still left on his deal, are the exact reasons Kindl should be put on waivers. The guy has more experience than our kids in GR, but it doesn't really matter if he's still a lousy player. Let someone else take him on, free up $2.4m for us, and maybe give us an easier look at another kid this year to better decide if he's a long term player for us, or someone to flip.

Actual Thought*

That, and the one year still left on his deal, are the exact reasons Kindl should be put on waivers. The guy has more experience than our kids in GR, but it doesn't really matter if he's still a lousy player. Let someone else take him on, free up $2.4m for us, and maybe give us an easier look at another kid this year to better decide if he's a long term player for us, or someone to flip.

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't we eat part of Kindl's cap hit if we waived him and he isn't picked up? Then we would be wasting cap space while a prospect was sitting the bench. Seems anti-productive to me.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't we eat part of Kindl's cap hit if we waived him and he isn't picked up? Then we would be wasting cap space while a prospect was sitting the bench. Seems anti-productive to me.

More productive than keeping Kindl and eating ALL of his caphit for him to sit on the bench.

Actual Thought*

More productive than keeping Kindl and eating ALL of his caphit for him to sit on the bench.
Not really. Kindl is buying you time to allow your prospects to play big minutes instead of completely stalling their development while they sit in the NHL press box. It never ceases to amaze me that people don't get this. You see this argument over and over. Kindl is helping prospects not holding them back.

You are missing the 3rd option of someone else getting injured which is extremely likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
If Quincey looks good 2-3 games in, I think that Kindl or Smith should be traded. Pittsburgh makes sense.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Not really. Kindl is buying you time to allow your prospects to play big minutes instead of completely stalling their development while they sit in the NHL press box. It never ceases to amaze me that people don't get this. You see this argument over and over. Kindl is helping prospects not holding them back.
You are missing the 3rd option of someone else getting injured which is extremely likely.
But we would be waiving Kindl so we can keep playing Marchenko, not to put a prospect in the press box. That is where Smith would be.

And in case of another injury, we would insert Smith in the lineup and call up someone to sit in the pressbox (maybe Lashoff to avoid hurting development of XO).

Do you think it's better for Marchenko at this point to go back to the AHL? He is playing great for us. If we send him back down, we're basically 3 injuries away from XO getting a shot at playing an NHL game this year (Smith+Kindl+Marchenko ahead of him for the #6 slot).

I bought the 'depth' argument when Marchenko/XO weren't clearly better than Kindl, but that time is gone. Marchenko should be a regular from now on.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
But we would be waiving Kindl so we can keep playing Marchenko, not to put a prospect in the press box. That is where Smith would be.

And in case of another injury, we would insert Smith in the lineup and call up someone to sit in the pressbox (maybe Lashoff to avoid hurting development of XO).

Do you think it's better for Marchenko at this point to go back to the AHL? He is playing great for us. If we send him back down, we're basically 3 injuries away from XO getting a shot at playing an NHL game this year (Smith+Kindl+Marchenko ahead of him for the #6 slot).

I bought the 'depth' argument when Marchenko/XO weren't clearly better than Kindl, but that time is gone. Marchenko should be a regular from now on.

Bingo. We're eating a bad contract either way, it's just that one way we get to keep a guy in the lineup who is playing well and deserving to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad