Series Talk: WCQF: Edmonton Oilers vs Los Angeles Kings - EDM Defeats LA 4-1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
They match up poorly against Edmonton, but their game plan has stymied certain teams all year. The Canucks for example. Could look different if they had drawn another team this year.

Also, this has been confusing to me but I always assumed the 1-3-1 was a McLellan thing, and assumed they would change up their gameplan when he was let go. Why do they persist in this system with a new coach? They have some good attackers and I don't understand why they don't utilize it better.

Because they lack high end talent and need to rely on trap style hockey to slow the game down and keep up.

The Canucks are literally the only playoff team the Kings had a winning record against this year.

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
They match up poorly against Edmonton, but their game plan has stymied certain teams all year. The Canucks for example. Could look different if they had drawn another team this year.

Also, this has been confusing to me but I always assumed the 1-3-1 was a McLellan thing, and assumed they would change up their gameplan when he was let go. Why do they persist in this system with a new coach? They have some good attackers and I don't understand why they don't utilize it better.
New coach is just an old assistant and he didn't want to change the system mid season. He def felt like a temporary solution until they find the new coach in the off season.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

A Kings fan would probably have to answer, but my guess is that since he was promoted from the existing coaching staff and has been there for a few years, they didn't make drastic changes. If he's just the interim coach I'd imagine they'd do a search for a new coach after the season and then you'd see big changes to the coaching staff and adopt that coaches gameplan.

Reactions: GOilers88

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That was probably 75% Canucks "fans" and then a sprinkling of the rest of the Canadian teams fans and some trolls.
That reminds me of how, in the Canucks-Preds series thread, most of the posters picking the Preds and putting down the Canucks appeared to be Oilers fans. You guys, Oilers and Canucks fans, really seem to enjoy trolling each other. :laugh:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
New coach is just an old assistant and he didn't want to change the system mid season. He def felt like a temporary solution until they find the new coach in the off season.

A Kings fan would probably have to answer, but my guess is that since he was promoted from the existing coaching staff and has been there for a few years, they didn't make drastic changes. If he's just the interim coach I'd imagine they'd do a search for a new coach after the season and then you'd see big changes to the coaching staff and adopt that coaches gameplan.
Thats fair.

To Kings fans, is there any coach in particular you're hoping for? What sort of attack plan do you think best suits the team? I honestly don't think they're a bad team, and they have some good pieces.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
That reminds me of how, in the Canucks-Preds series thread, most of the posters picking the Preds and putting down the Canucks appeared to be Oilers fans. You guys, Oilers and Canucks fans, really seem to enjoy trolling each other. :laugh:

As the higher seeded team in both series, there's a pretty good likelihood they meet in the 2nd round, people just can't seem to hold in their excitement I guess. I'm sure the mods aren't finding it all that funny though.

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah I don’t get it so I’m rarely involved in the discussion this year because it’s just so aggressively ignorant lol.

Kings fans: hey guys can you please murder us quickly so we can houseclean this summer? We barely stand a chance. This organization is embarrassing.

After game 1: hahaha in your face Kings f***ing suck , you should be embarrassed

Like yeah dude I said that more than a week ago

You’re one of the best posters here. We haven’t interacted as much this series as years past, but I just need to say that donairs are vastly superior to burritos.

Last edited:

Harry Waters

Oct 19, 2012
Don’t have time to fully dissect your post, but in short, yes, I have seen both miss their checks/flee the zone/not back check at all etc. Comparing them to the rest of the team is meaningless. They are the leaders. They set the example. There are decades worth of examples of players/leaders changing their game for playoff hockey.
My question actually was/is more if sacrificing offense really helps. Is there really this direct trade-off? Because not back checking mostly lets the opposition gain and stay in the offensive zone and missing assignments does not really help with getting back to the other end of the ice. So that hurts your offense more than it does help.

I am not saying that they are mistake-free players or anything, I question that it is as easy as sacrificing offense because apart from fleeing the zone, what you presented has nothing to do with being too focused on offense, it is more something like bad defensive awareness and you don't clean that up by playing deeper in your zone per se.

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
You lot are the same to me, just another bunch of brinks in a wall.

Never forget Kane's gut punches on Kolesar. The dirtiest thing I've seen since Tommy Wilson on Sundqvist years back.
Cmon surely 3 soft punches to a padded area isn't the dirtiest thing you've seen.

Reactions: capazzo

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
this might be the most unhinged comment in this entire series
His comment might be true about the crappy Burritos in Edmonton :laugh:

What do you want oilers fans to do? Not rub it in after blowing out LA days after their fans chirped us?
Were LA kings fan chirping? It was the usual cohort of Oilers haters. Canucks, Flames, Leafs fans and the random grouping of people who treat hating the Oilers like a full time job like that edmonton flyers guy.

Last edited:

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
btw Kings aren't out of this imo. Previous years have shown both these teams bounce back from losses.
Oh, please. Kings were out of it the moment the series was set in stone.

What do you want oilers fans to do? Not rub it in after blowing out LA days after their fans chirped us?
which "LA" fans chirped you? Outside of some sarcastic comments, I'm pretty sure even a quarter-sane kings' fan knew this series wasn't going to end well for us.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Not a single LA fan has been chirping or boastful in this thread or even on our own forum. You are making this up.

Any chirps against the Oilers are coming from other fanbases. Kings fans couldn’t care less about this series. We’re way more worried about Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille being fired in the offseason.

The Oilers have been, are, and will continue to do be the far superior team to anyone with a working brain. Learn how to punch up.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Not a single LA fan has been chirping or boastful in this thread or even on our own forum. You are making this up.

Any chirps against the Oilers are coming from other fanbases. Kings fans couldn’t care less about this series. We’re way more worried about Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille being fired in the offseason.

The Oilers have been, are, and will continue to do be the far superior team to anyone with a working brain. Learn how to punch up.
Kings fans, what are the main reasons you guys want these 2 fired?

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Crazy how Skinner won considering he allowed 27 goals

IMG_1583.jpeg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You’re one of the best posters here. We haven’t interacted as much this series as years past, but I just need to say that donairs are vastly superior to burritos.

Come on man.

There’s stuff you can say in the heat of the action and then there are things you can’t take back

Reactions: snipes

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Kings fans, what are the main reasons you guys want these 2 fired?
They seemingly coup’d Lombardi, the only GM to win a cup in LA and sold ownership and fans on the idea that they could still compete with the cup core even though many of us knew their time had passed and that a rebuild was necessary. After getting dominated and swept by Vegas in 2018, they signed Kovalchuk to a three year deal which was disastrous. Finally they decided to do a half baked rebuild where they actually acquired some decent assets but still refused to trade the cup core. In fact, they gave Doughty a ridiculous contract instead. They drafted center after center in consecutive first rounds and never actually gave any of them a chance to play at center in LA. Almost immediately after drafting Byfield, they decide the rebuild is over thanks to some complaints from Doughty about wanting to compete. So they decide to acquire Arvidsson and Danault. The Danault acquisition, in particular, completely blocked Byfield, Turcotte, Kupari, and Vilardi from ever getting a look at top 6 center. Then they made the bonehead Fiala trade followed by the bonehead PLD trade. All the while never drafting or developing a goalie because apparently goalies are worthless. They hired all their buddies to be in prominent roles in the organization. Nearly all prospects are mishandled. They are sent to the AHL for pretty much their entire waiver exempt existence which makes it nearly impossible to ice a team that isn’t up against the cap. We are now a decade removed from a playoff series win and it’s looking like another decade of waiting ahead.

Edit: oh, and lets not forget icing the softest team in the NHL with a personnel blend that doesn’t match the style they want to play. No one knows their identity. Just a bunch of small parts put together.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Cmon surely 3 soft punches to a padded area isn't the dirtiest thing you've seen.
Kane is a semi-professor boxer, trains all the time in the offseason. Come on now, he was aiming right for the solar plexus which you're trained to do to destroy somebody (one of the weak spots on a human being bruv).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad