Quebec still waiting patiently.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
If not having an NHL team where you live (or having to see outsiders participate) has such a profoundly negative effect on your life, then you have much deeper issues than not having an NHL team where you live (or having to see outsiders participate).

Why not let go of what you can't control, and enjoy what you do have and everything else life has to offer? Anything has to be better than moaning on internet forums.

The Canes could leave tomorrow and it would hurt like hell, but I think I would move on with my life and be ok. I certainly wouldn't be doing what relocationistas do.

I think you are taking this too personally. I mean we here on HF have strong opinions, but how many hockey fans spend their free time (and sometimes even some not-so-free-time) arguing on a hockey forum ? Not many. Those who are here are among the most passionate ones so yes you will see all kinds of extremes. I don't think anyone would pop a bottle of champagne if a give team was to move except maybe the people that the team will move to...but then again would you be mad at them ? I don't think many Carolina residents were sad and cried when Whalers left Hartford to become the Hurricanes and there's nothing wrong with that.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I agree with you. But this also works with US markets. I am still waiting to see the proof, but I don't think the US National deal will grow by a significant margin because of Seattle. Sure, there will be a local TV deal that currently does not exist, but that is also true for every other market.

I see your point, and I wonder about the same thing. But the Seattle situation is different from the Quebec situation in this way:

Quebec: A team would not increase the Canadian TV deal because most fans' eyes are already on hockey. In other words, as far as national TV goes, the market is redundant.

Seattle: I think a team is going to affect the US TV deal not very much, because I am not sure there are new fans to be found. In other words, NO ONE is watching, and NO ONE will continue to watch.

But, If I were the NHL BOG, I could easily think that Seattle is an underserved part of the US market, and there MUST be more fans to be found. So, from their eyes, I can see how it would seem different.

Reactions: Newsworthy

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Why anything, this is what is frustrating about talking to any sports fan about sports.

You have those emotional attachments that you value and we have ours. You can't throw out the baby with the bath water and pretend like our motivations are less pure than your own.

This idea that Canadians are gonna forever be happy being silent observers in an American League is not gonna last forever.

The fact is we pay for more than our 7 teams we are allotted if the roles were reversed American's would never tolerate it.

It's only a matter of time before the NHL starts loosing its firm grip on the Canadian audiences.

We have things like the Canadian Premier League starting up and its only a matter of time before these types of things start eating up the national television contract money.
so you are saying that there should be a "CFL" version of hockey in canada ?

good luck with that.....

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I think you are taking this too personally. I mean we here on HF have strong opinions, but how many hockey fans spend their free time (and sometimes even some not-so-free-time) arguing on a hockey forum ? Not many. Those who are here are among the most passionate ones so yes you will see all kinds of extremes. I don't think anyone would pop a bottle of champagne if a give team was to move except maybe the people that the team will move to...but then again would you be mad at them ? I don't think many Carolina residents were sad and cried when Whalers left Hartford to become the Hurricanes and there's nothing wrong with that.
But none of the Hurricanes fans exactly went on internet and demanded Whalers move to Raleigh neither. How do you expect people to not take it personally when people of your ilk demand their favorite teams move just for your happiness?

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City
But none of the Hurricanes fans exactly went on internet and demanded Whalers move to Raleigh neither. How do you expect people to not take it personally when people of your ilk demand their favorite teams move just for your happiness?
Let it put it that way, I need a Bike, I see your brand new beautiful bike that you never use, Sure I will try to buy your bike, you dont use it and I need it. If you start using your bike, I will just look elsewhere to find one...

It's nothing against actual fan of a team, If next year STH number jump greatly, we will have no other choice to look elsewhere...

Olfer

Apr 25, 2019
Rouyn-Noranda
Hi everyone,

I created an account just to share my personnal experiences on this matter.

I come from Rouyn-Noranda and I'm 26/27 years old. So technically the Nords didn't exist in my lifetime and, theoretically, I come from that farthest place possible in Québec from Québec city. Yet, around half of the people I know, and have known during my school years, would have cheered for the Nordiques (including myself). It has to do with the identitarian aspects, imo. The Montreal Canadiens always felt ''foreign'' to me, I can't really put my finger on it but I feel like the team is much more a Montreal team first and foremost than a French-Canadian team.

Many people share this feeling, even though they live closer to Montréal and would ''logically'' cheer for the CH.

So, to end this debate once and for all, I'm 100% sure that the Nords would draw fans from ALL over Québec. Giving them roughly a population pool of over 3m+.

As people have said before, the problem for the Nords has much more to do with the corporate support, the fact that it is already a hockey market (so no growth for the sport) and the Canadian TV rights deal.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Let it put it that way, I need a Bike, I see your brand new beautiful bike that you never use, Sure I will try to buy your bike, you dont use it and I need it. If you start using your bike, I will just look elsewhere to find one...

It's nothing against actual fan of a team, If next year STH number jump greatly, we will have no other choice to look elsewhere...

See, that goes back to the whole "Appreciate what you do have in life and let go of what's out of your control." I don't get the pinning your happiness on something that may never happen. Life is too short to be clutching and grabbing for something. And it's honestly a bad look and you shouldn't be surprised if you get pushback from the people who are targeted.

And the bike analogy is bunk. Canes/Yotes/Panthers fans have not had a beautiful new bike. We've had rusted out huffys with no brakes and 1 and a half wheels.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Hi everyone,I created an account just to share my personnal experiences on this matter.

Notice his avatar. *That's* the kind of support I'm talking about! That is now my favorite QMJHL team.

And the bike analogy is bunk. Canes/Yotes/Panthers fans have not had a beautiful new bike. We've had rusted out huffys with no brakes and 1 and a half wheels.

...and most years we ask our friends to go riding with us. "Mehhhh...I would, but...it's such a nice evening, I don't feel like spending it in traffic, etc. etc..." (which is no better than the excuses of the mid 00s Blackhawks and Penguins "our team sucks/we hate our owner", but look how they turned out)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I feel like that appetite to grant or relocate a franchise to Quebec City just isn't there. The NHL would rather focus on large or unique markets in the US, which provide them with more opportunity for growth than the fan in QC that's already watching the NHL on TV, buying tickets and merchandise. Quebec City is a nice pawn for the NHL because they're a ready market and they can use that to put pressure on groups in other cities to spend money on a team.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: LeHab

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

If this site was around in 1997 and the Whalers move to Raleigh (via Greenboro) was in the works, I'm sure number of residedents in the area wanting the move to happen was greater than 'none'. Same thing Nords to Denver, Jets to Phoenix and Stars to Dallas.

There would have been wide range of people cheering those moves on back then too.

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City
See, that goes back to the whole "Appreciate what you do have in life and let go of what's out of your control." I don't get the pinning your happiness on something that may never happen. Life is too short to be clutching and grabbing for something. And it's honestly a bad look and you shouldn't be surprised if you get pushback from the people who are targeted.

Ok, got it, like the good canadian I am, I will say sorry, eat my pea soup will watching you ignore the big "all you can eat" buffet you have in front of you.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
In OT news, Palideau is getting into the taxi business

Quebec media baron Pierre Karl Péladeau becomes Montreal's taxi czar

Takes over the assests of Talexco. No value on the transaction but expected to close by May 31.

He tried to buy the assests earlier in the year but was unsuccessful. But he didn't give up, much like his NHL bid. Don't say much stay behind closed doors and should the opportunity arises his 'drive' should pay off.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Are you going to demand the said owner of bike give you the bike just because he isnt using it?

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
If this site was around in 1997 and the Whalers move to Raleigh (via Greenboro) was in the works, I'm sure number of residedents in the area wanting the move to happen was greater than 'none'. Same thing Nords to Denver, Jets to Phoenix and Stars to Dallas.

There would have been wide range of people cheering those moves on back then too.

I'm betting the number of people in Denver, Raleigh, Phoenix, Dallas inclined to go public - had it been as easy in the 90s - with "yeah, we got a team! Screw those undeserving know nothings in Quebec, Hartford, Winnipeg, Minnesota" was orders of magnitude smaller than the number seen with "Winnipeg" and "Atlanta" in those respective positions....

Reactions: zetajerk

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Yeah because in 1997 when the Whalers moved the internet as we know it didn't exist. Web 2.0 was several years away and there would be no forum for Hurricanes fans to do such a thing.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Yeah because in 1997 when the Whalers moved the internet as we know it didn't exist. Web 2.0 was several years away and there would be no forum for Hurricanes fans to do such a thing.

So? We can't prove it either way, but I highly doubt we would ever see an attitude like we saw with Winnipeg in any of the 90s relo recipients, or that we'll see with Quebec if God forbid someone moves there. Were Jets/Nords/Stars/Whalers fans mocked on national broadcasts?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
So? We can't prove it either way, but I highly doubt we would ever see an attitude like we saw with Winnipeg in any of the 90s relo recipients, or that we'll see with Quebec if God forbid someone moves there. Were Jets/Nords/Stars/Whalers fans mocked on national broadcasts?

Ofcourse we wouldn't because nobody was clamoring for hockey in Carolina. Its not like there was a mad passionate fan base wanting the NHL in the area. It has nothing to do with people from Carolina or Phoenix somehow being classier than people in Quebec City. It has to do with the general indifference of the populace about the sport.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Ofcourse we wouldn't because nobody was clamoring for hockey in Carolina. Its not like there was a mad passionate fan base wanting the NHL in the area. It has nothing to do with people from Carolina or Phoenix somehow being classier than people in Quebec City. It has to do with the general indifference of the populace about the sport.

Being passionate means treating other people like crap? There's that entitlement again.

Olfer

Apr 25, 2019
Rouyn-Noranda
Notice his avatar. *That's* the kind of support I'm talking about! That is now my favorite QMJHL team.

Thanks man! It looks cheap and really dated, but I always prefered this logo. Crazy what the team is doing this year though, and for such a small market. I hope they can go all the way and bring back the Memorial for the first time.

Sorry for the OT, now back to the topic!

Reactions: klabob

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Seriously man. How many people were using internet back in 1997 ? 70 million worldwide. Today, it's 4600 millions or 65 times that.

I guess if there was ''one of us'' demanding that in 1997, there's 65 of us today. Sure it seems a lot.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I feel like that appetite to grant or relocate a franchise to Quebec City just isn't there. The NHL would rather focus on large or unique markets in the US, which provide them with more opportunity for growth than the fan in QC that's already watching the NHL on TV, buying tickets and merchandise. Quebec City is a nice pawn for the NHL because they're a ready market and they can use that to put pressure on groups in other cities to spend money on a team.

Just my opinion.

And your opinion isn't wrong. But, at some point, that strategy will end up biting the NHL, or at least costing them something. I mean, I personally have yet to watch a single playoffs game...even if the Bruins are in the 2nd round now and I do ''follow'' them. I kinda grew of living the dream, hoping, praying.

If NHL comes, I'll see what my entertainment budget looks like, and maybe I will invest, maybe I will not. Fast forward 10 years in future and they will be more and more people like me. And it's not just happening to NHL but other sports and entertainment activities. The offer is growing growing and growing. At some point I can take my phone out my pocket, check the score, the replays and do 10 others activities instead of paying $300 and spending 3 hours watching a 2-1 game. Once in a while ? Sure. 42 times a year...yep I got other stuff more entertaining to do.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
And your opinion isn't wrong. But, at some point, that strategy will end up biting the NHL, or at least costing them something. I mean, I personally have yet to watch a single playoffs game...even if the Bruins are in the 2nd round now and I do ''follow'' them. I kinda grew of living the dream, hoping, praying.

If NHL comes, I'll see what my entertainment budget looks like, and maybe I will invest, maybe I will not. Fast forward 10 years in future and they will be more and more people like me. And it's not just happening to NHL but other sports and entertainment activities. The offer is growing growing and growing. At some point I can take my phone out my pocket, check the score, the replays and do 10 others activities instead of paying $300 and spending 3 hours watching a 2-1 game. Once in a while ? Sure. 42 times a year...yep I got other stuff more entertaining to do.
Clearly it’s all about you and if NHL doesn’t cater to your whims they are doing it wrong.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Just my opinion.

The usefulness of Quebec as a chess piece to the NHL is probably an understated factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad