Quebec still waiting patiently.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
brian burke said quebec is way too small of city and have no corporate support.......

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Patience is needed here and lots of it.

I think it's in the league's back pocket in the event of a relocation is needed. After all, their application was never rejected.

Now that Seattle is officially off the board, Houston is the only realistic candidate ahead of them out there and with a few teams with questionable futures, it may not be long until it rises to the top.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Patience is needed here and lots of it.

I think it's in the league's back pocket in the event of a relocation is needed. After all, their application was never rejected.

Now that Seattle is officially off the board, Houston is the only realistic candidate ahead of them out there and with a few teams with questionable futures, it may not be long until it rises to the top.

The NHL is keeping Quebec City as an option in case a struggling franchise needs to relocate in a jiffy. Forget about expansion for la Vieille Capitale.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Quebec City can wait and wait but until they find an owner or a group that can afford $650M or more nothing will happen. As mentioned the only way they are likely to get a team is if someone moves and it costs the group that buys the team a boatload less than the current or future expansion fee.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
quebec would probably be in the league today if the city built them a new arena 23 years ago......

the city waited 23 years too late and now the videotron is already a white elephant..copps coliseum 2.0....

Mike Louis

Feb 7, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Quebec City currently is to the NHL what Washington was to MLB and Los Angeles was to the NFL: a vacant market with an available stadium being used as a stalking horse for teams looking for either a new stadium or a better lease at their current one. Eventually a Eastern Time Zone team will need to relocate (Ottawa isn’t that team, the problem there is the owner, not the fanbase) and that’s when the Nordiques will return.

Reactions: 13 others

Final Baton

Nov 13, 2010
Québec city
Quebec City currently is to the NHL what Washington was to MLB and Los Angeles was to the NFL: a vacant market with an available stadium being used as a stalking horse for teams looking for either a new stadium or a better lease at their current one. Eventually a Eastern Time Zone team will need to relocate (Ottawa isn’t that team, the problem there is the owner, not the fanbase) and that’s when the Nordiques will return.
Yep. Hit the nail on the head

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia

I cant figure out who though. FLA is stuck in a lease for several years, and I personally can't see the Hurricanes moving. Their owners seem pretty adamant in keeping them there. And of course the league will protect the Yotes until the cows come home. Quebec seems, at least at the moment, completely out of options.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I cant figure out who though. FLA is stuck in a lease for several years, and I personally can't see the Hurricanes moving. Their owners seem pretty adamant in keeping them there. And of course the league will protect the Yotes until the cows come home. Quebec seems, at least at the moment, completely out of options.
Yotes relocation destination seems to be somewhere else, rather than league protecting them.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The NHL is keeping Quebec City as an option in case a struggling franchise needs to relocate in a jiffy. Forget about expansion for la Vieille Capitale.

Yup, I've been saying this for years. I'm honestly of the opinion that if somehow the Thrashers had stayed in Atlanta up to this point, the NHL wouldn't have given Winnipeg a serious expansion consideration for the same reason. NHL likes having a security blanket in the event that a troubled market's bottom really falls out.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Yup, I've been saying this for years. I'm honestly of the opinion that if somehow the Thrashers had stayed in Atlanta up to this point, the NHL wouldn't have given Winnipeg a serious expansion consideration for the same reason. NHL likes having a security blanket in the event that a troubled market's bottom really falls out.
If Thrashers stayed, Coyotes would have move back to Winnipeg.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
the league is not protecting the Coyotes what they were protecting was the right to control franchise location. They came within a few minutes of moving back to Winnipeg and may move eventually to somewhere else. They were placed in the Central Division for a reason and I suspect it’s relocation related.

Reactions: Mike Louis

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
the league is not protecting the Coyotes what they were protecting was the right to control franchise location. They came within a few minutes of moving back to Winnipeg and may move eventually to somewhere else. They were placed in the Central Division for a reason and I suspect it’s relocation related.

Possible moves to even the Western Conference at eight teams in each division:

Put Seattle in the Central - This doesn't seem to make much sense at all. Seattle is nowhere near the Central teams and would make the Central a three time zone division all season long. Also down plays the potential Vancouver rivalry.

Put Edmonton or Calgary in the Central - Splitting up the Alberta teams is a bad idea. Also, if travel distance is a concern, Calgary to Nashville is ~2700 km compared to ~2300 for Phoenix to Chicago. And Edmonton would be even farther.

Put both Edmonton and Calgary in Central and move Colorado to the Pacific - Travel distances come into play again. Plus it involves moving three team instead of one.

Put Vegas in the Central - Makes the Central a three time zone division all year long. Further away from Central division teams than Arizona (only one closer to Vegas is Winnipeg and that's by less than 100 km).

Put Arizona in the Central - Makes the Central a three time zone division from for about four months. For the first and last months of the season and the playoffs, Arizona's PST is the same as Colorado's MDT, leaving the Central a two time zone division for those time periods.

So, I think there were logical reasons for moving Arizona to the Central without even considering possible relocation.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Possible moves to even the Western Conference at eight teams in each division:

Put Seattle in the Central - This doesn't seem to make much sense at all. Seattle is nowhere near the Central teams and would make the Central a three time zone division all season long. Also down plays the potential Vancouver rivalry.

Put Edmonton or Calgary in the Central - Splitting up the Alberta teams is a bad idea. Also, if travel distanc

e is a concern, Calgary to Nashville is ~2700 km compared to ~2300 for Phoenix to Chicago. And Edmonton would be even farther.

Put both Edmonton and Calgary in Central and move Colorado to the Pacific - Travel distances come into play again. Plus it involves moving three team instead of one.

Put Vegas in the Central - Makes the Central a three time zone division all year long. Further away from Central division teams than Arizona (only one closer to Vegas is Winnipeg and that's by less than 100 km).

Put Arizona in the Central - Makes the Central a three time zone division from for about four months. For the first and last months of the season and the playoffs, Arizona's PST is the same as Colorado's MDT, leaving the Central a two time zone division for those time periods.

So, I think there were logical reasons for moving Arizona to the Central without even considering possible relocation.

I think in the case of Arizona, it's actually the reverse of what you wrote:

In the winter, Arizona is MST. So, from Nov to Mar, Central will be 2 time zones.
In October, March and playoffs, Arizona is still MST, but that matches PDT, so it makes the division 3 time zones.

Which doesn't change the argument at all.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Quebec City will get a team roughly when Hamilton can get a team +/- 10 years.

Quebec city will get a team roughly when Seattle can get a team +/- 10 years.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I think in the case of Arizona, it's actually the reverse of what you wrote:

In the winter, Arizona is MST. So, from Nov to Mar, Central will be 2 time zones.
In October, March and playoffs, Arizona is still MST, but that matches PDT, so it makes the division 3 time zones.

Which doesn't change the argument at all.

You're right. I goofed. Thanks for the correction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->