Speculation: Nikolaj Ehlers

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I feel like WPG ownership hasn't been a fan of Ehlers for a few years.
that may be true but it doesn't seem like WPG wants to rebuild and unless some team is banging down the door trying to actively trade for Ehlers what's the return on him? Does WPG really want a lower first and a B+ type of prospect? Ehlers doesn't return a better younger less expensive player with team control most likely so where does that leave WPG? Maybe a reclamation project they believe in? But is that such a great gamble compared to extending Ehlers? The devil you know and all that.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
WInnipeg is a franchise that values loyalty - both from players, and in the organization itself. They know it's hard to sign UFAs in Winnipeg (or to get players to waive NTCs) so if a player wants to stay in Winnipeg they keep them.

Ehlers has played 9 years in Winnipeg, signed for one more.

This will be all up to Ehlers. Jets will attempt to re-sign him. If Nik is open to re-signing him they'll do so. If he wants to go, Jets will listen to trade offers (though it might be at the deadline, not off-season).

The Jets though have made their bets - they re-signed Hellebuyck for a number more years. They aren't rebuilding.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I see him being traded as well. If he's going anywhere, probably Florida, Chicago, Vancouver or NYR. Somewhere that could use a LW at his cap.

Probably 1st + 2nd + Prospect + Roster Player. Some may say it's overpay, but the reason I beg to differ is his cap. If he's with the right centreman he'll thrive.

I see him being traded as well. If he's going anywhere, probably Florida, Chicago, Vancouver or NYR. Somewhere that could use a LW at his cap.

Probably 1st + 2nd + Prospect + Roster Player. Some may say it's overpay, but the reason I beg to differ is his cap. If he's with the right centreman he'll thrive.
A first, B prospect and a roster player could be realistic
I'd be miss the heck outta Ehlers, but if he returns a Dobson or Nemec or Jiricek level RHD, it'd help ease the pain a whole bunch
Yeah, no.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
that may be true but it doesn't seem like WPG wants to rebuild and unless some team is banging down the door trying to actively trade for Ehlers what's the return on him? Does WPG really want a lower first and a B+ type of prospect? Ehlers doesn't return a better younger less expensive player with team control most likely so where does that leave WPG? Maybe a reclamation project they believe in? But is that such a great gamble compared to extending Ehlers? The devil you know and all that.

Ehlers likely isn't returning a 1st.

They reportedly already tried to move him. I imagine he isn't happy playing 14ish a night.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

They reportedly already tried to move him. I imagine he isn't happy playing 14ish a night.
If they already tried to move him and couldn't and he is coming off another lackluster playoff why is the offer going to be better now such that WPG would say yes? Never say never but it seems unlikely the market to acquire his services expanded.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Ehlers is a solid player, but I don't think a smaller winger who has been able to full a (75 game plus season) 4 times in his 9 year career will fetch a massive return. And in those 4 healthy seasons after his rookie year, he paces for 60 odd points. There is a deal to be made, but not sure it will solve the Jets needs.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

We need a winger for EP bad! Love Hogz but EP needs a guy that thinks the game at a top line level like him.

As crazy as this sounds Myers and Zadorov for what they will cost and how good they have been combined with Hroneks value and other factors, he might be better used as an asset for a winger like Ehlers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Maybe i'm wrong, but i've never thought of Ehlers as being soft. Injury-prone, sure.
I would agree. He does engage in battles. But, when he plays a full season (75 games plus), it's only happened 4 times in 9 seasons, he ends up with 60 odd points. He's had higher PPG in the less than full seasons, but Availability is an Ability as they say in Football.
Going to be a taker for him, just a question of where and for how much.

Not sure which teams would drop a long term deal on him if they got him.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
No thanks from Van. We have EP40 already. No need for two soft forwards
How is EP soft? He doesn't shy away at all from contact and has developed quite the nice reverse hit repertoire to his game.

I guess it really depends on what you think is soft, for me soft is a guy that avoids the boards and won't take a hit to make a play

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
What is the deal with him on the PP? Because that's what really jumps out at you.

25 goals.
0 on the PP.

How can that be? He's got a live shot.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Maybe i'm wrong, but i've never thought of Ehlers as being soft. Injury-prone, sure.
Ehlers has never played soft.Hes always finished checks and gone into the corners and fought for the puck. It's probably one of the reasons he's faced injuries. The only real complaint from some fans is that he seems to go down easily which has actually drawn a lot of power plays for the Jets.
The soft angle are from fans that haven't evolved from Don Cherry rock em sock em videos from the 80's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Does something around Pulock + Nelson and Pionk + Ehlers work for Islanders fans? Winnipeg would be adding assets. Pulock has 6 years on his contract, and the other 3 players have only 1 year left. This shakes up the Islanders, which is maybe what they need. Their core isn't getting very far. Obviously though NYI are not going to just give Pulock away. He's a good player. The assets coming in the deal would have to make it worth it.

FULL DISCLAIMER - I'm neither a Jets fan or Islanders fan, just a neutral observer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad