Quebec still in discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Gentlemen.....

Let’s move on. I’ve had my say and I’m not moving off of it, and this is just sending the discussion further off the rails.

Blue Warriors

Apr 11, 2012
St-Lawrence River
8.4M is the entire province, half of these people live in Montreal.
Yes, Quebec City is a small market. However, when you consider that there’s only one major pro team ( 2 with the MLS) for 8,5 million people in the province and that Florida has 9 major pro teams ( 11 with MLS) for 21,5 million people, you get the feeling that there’s untapped potential. There were many Nordiques fans all across the province.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
No. The Ottawa metro area is about 50% bigger in population than the Quebec City metro area.

and considerably wealthier.

Ottawa / Gatineau Metro GDP: $86bn CAD
Quebec City Metro GDP: $43bn CAD

As a comparison to other Canadian franchises:
Toronto: $395bn (doesn't include the rest of the Southern Ontario area)
Montreal: $200bn
Vancouver: $138bn
Calgary: $101bn
Edmonton: $87bn
Winnipeg: $41bn

One of the dumbest things on this message board is the idea that the Sens would move to QC, especially with Ottawa being so amenable to a new stadium in the downtown area.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

One of the dumbest things on this message board is the idea that the Sens would move to QC, especially with Ottawa being so amenable to a new stadium in the downtown area.

What is the latest on the new round of RFPs with respect to LeBreton Flats? I haven't heard anything lately...

And, you are right. Ottawa moving to QC is possible, but only if LeBreton is developed without an arena.

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
What is the latest on the new round of RFPs with respect to LeBreton Flats? I haven't heard anything lately...

And, you are right. Ottawa moving to QC is possible, but only if LeBreton is developed without an arena.

Last 2 emails to Tobi Nussbaum's office got promises to let me know when announcements about to happen. Since then just crickets.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

The LeBreton redevelopment has been on pause since April due to the Pandemic. The goal was to have final approval by the end of the year and then start sending out RFP.

It's to be done over stages with a piece of land set aside for an arena, but there was never a timetable on which pieces of land (except for the Library district) would get done. it's a long way from a resolution either way.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016

Wait until you remember back in 2009-2013 there was 2 separate ownership groups trying get phoenix to Saskatoon....

dkitson16

Jul 23, 2017
Yes, Quebec City is a small market. However, when you consider that there’s only one major pro team ( 2 with the MLS) for 8,5 million people in the province and that Florida has 9 major pro teams ( 11 with MLS) for 21,5 million people, you get the feeling that there’s untapped potential. There were many Nordiques fans all across the province.

But most of those 8.5M people don't live close enough to drive to a Tuesday night game in Quebec City after work. Comparing franchise numbers and populations between states and provinces is pointless when determining what pro teams a city can support. Metro population or urban area are far better indicators, though they each have their flaws. And the NHL is a gate driven league. TV viewers are nice but people in the seats pay the bills.

Reactions: Stumbledore

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
So 5 there where's the rest played?

There was actually two separate groups, not both at once, along the way, and they both wanted to move Phoenix to Saskatoon, however they would have settled for this "5 game" thing.

It's simply a soft relocation ploy to say, same thing Bronfmans are doing with Tampa Bay/Montreal in the MLB now.

The MASSIVE key issue was that the USD/CAD was par or the CAD was better at the time.

As everyone mentions now, the dollar difference hits all Canadian pro teams hard and the CFL for players.

Saskatoon is currently building a new rink in 4-7 years likely similar to the Videotron center. There's 4 locations debated downtown and a tenative budget of around 450 million currently. Sasktel center is currently the same/larger then MTS in winnipeg. (MTS added 100 seats last year simply to say it's larger... but wasn't.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Venial Cyn

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Saskatoon is currently building a new rink in 4-7 years likely similar to the Videotron center. There's 4 locations debated downtown and a tenative budget of around 450 million currently. Sasktel center is currently the same/larger then MTS in winnipeg. (MTS added 100 seats last year simply to say it's larger... but wasn't.)

TNSE said that the added seats were to capitalize on increased demand for "premium access" and indeed all of them were snatched up by STH.

Any source for your "simply to say it's larger" swipe?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
There was actually two separate groups, not both at once, along the way, and they both wanted to move Phoenix to Saskatoon, however they would have settled for this "5 game" thing.

Ice Edge Hockey was one group..... I posted the link above. And they never wanted to move the team to Saskatoon.

Bear in mind I've been following all this since 2009. Aside from Jerry Reinsdorf, Greg Jameson, Matthew Hulsizer, Bill Gallacher, Darin Pastor (bet not many remember him), Jim Balsillie, Andrew Barroway, and now Alex Meruelo..... those who actually put bids in....... what group that never got past the tire kicking stage is the other????

Reactions: Venial Cyn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad