Quebec Nordiques: expansion or relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
i have never understood this attitude. to claim some sort of superiority in not supporting a struggling, local team. in my mind, it doesnt make you a smarter consumer, it makes you a ****. it's almost as if you think by boycotting a poor team, you are somehow encouraging them to suddenly start trying and magically produce a winning team for you ... like they can just snap their fingers and do so.

Is that any better than succumbing to the emotional blackmail "you better support us no matter how miserable we are or else you're a horrible fan and person"? Did Edmonton fans behaving like sheep make them competitive, or was it sucking for a decade and getting lucky at the draft? It sure is helping winnipeg, isn't it? No pressure on their management to be any good since wins and losses won't affect the bottom line, right? Too bad they don't play somewhere good that could attract players and has fans that aren't terrified to do something else.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I am happy aswell. Only 9248 last night in attendance.

Maybe NHL will slowly realize they don't have Quebec City in their pocket. We're a market with money but nothing to spend it on. Oh and BTW we have state of the art arena that's only 2 years old.

Better than in another NHL market this pre-season where they cancelled a game over supposedly ''bad ice conditions'' nudge, nudge, wink, wink!:amazed:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Is that any better than succumbing to the emotional blackmail "you better support us no matter how miserable we are or else you're a horrible fan and person"? Did Edmonton fans behaving like sheep make them competitive, or was it sucking for a decade and getting lucky at the draft? It sure is helping winnipeg, isn't it? No pressure on their management to be any good since wins and losses won't affect the bottom line, right? Too bad they don't play somewhere good that could attract players and has fans that aren't terrified to do something else.

All those years of fan indifference have sure done wonders for Phoenix and Florida and Carolina. There has been no pressure on those organizations to improve. Florida missing the playoffs year after year with the occasional 1st round exit...this past year, there were orders to decrease payroll despite poor crowds. Phoenix with no playoffs in years and arguably the worst team in the NHL the past 5 seasons...crowds have been awful the entire time. Carolina seems to draw fewer fans every year having missed the playoffs for a decade or so.

Ownership in these places sure feel the pressure to offer a better product don't they?:sarcasm:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
i have never understood this attitude. to claim some sort of superiority in not supporting a struggling, local team. in my mind, it doesnt make you a smarter consumer, it makes you a ****. it's almost as if you think by boycotting a poor team, you are somehow encouraging them to suddenly start trying and magically produce a winning team for you ... like they can just snap their fingers and do so.
So Leafs fans are the greatest because they freely give their money to support poor hockey. That makes no sense! It makes management not care about the fans or winning. No one is saying don't go to every game but instead of 15 to 20 got to 5 or 10. Fan support motivates Owners, GM's to win. Edmonton won the McDavid lottery and that's the only reason they have become competitive ditto TML and Matthews. The owners of those teams quite frankly could never try to win and make money. It's like a movie studio that constantly puts out poor movies eventually people catch on and no one goes to see the movies it puts out.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Better than in another NHL market this pre-season where they cancelled a game over supposedly ''bad ice conditions'' nudge, nudge, wink, wink!:amazed:

Gee..... not sure whom you're referring to there...... :rolleyes:

The ice is still bad there even when the chiller system doesn't suffer a relay failure.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
So Leafs fans are the greatest because they freely give their money to support poor hockey. That makes no sense! It makes management not care about the fans or winning. No one is saying don't go to every game but instead of 15 to 20 got to 5 or 10. Fan support motivates Owners, GM's to win. Edmonton won the McDavid lottery and that's the only reason they have become competitive ditto TML and Matthews. The owners of those teams quite frankly could never try to win and make money. It's like a movie studio that constantly puts out poor movies eventually people catch on and no one goes to see the movies it puts out.

So that should put paid to either the 'lottery is rigged' myth or the 'NHL hates Canada' myth...which shall it be, gents?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Well you have to figure Seattle is the next expansion team once/if they get their arena approved. NBA isn't expanding anytime soon; so it is essential to the project that The NHL is a tenant sooner rather than later.

Based off of this it seems Quebec will perhaps land an existing team. I'd think Carolina or Florida at this point.

But then with The NHL you never know....

theoriginal55

Aug 6, 2005
"Shark Tank" multi-millionaire Kevin O'leary (AKA Mr. Wonderful) appeared on the Rich Eisen show today and stated he was "part of a syndicate wanting to move the Phoenix hockey team to Quebec City until Bateman(sic) shut it down. Purchase price around $300 million. Took it to other owners and they said 'Not a chance in hell." See it here http://www.richeisenshow.com/2017/0...shark-tank-joins-the-re-show-in-studio-92017/. Starts at appx 2:45 second mark.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well you have to figure Seattle is the next expansion team once/if they get their arena approved. NBA isn't expanding anytime soon; so it is essential to the project that The NHL is a tenant sooner rather than later.

Based off of this it seems Quebec will perhaps land an existing team. I'd think Carolina or Florida at this point.

But then with The NHL you never know....

My bet is Vegas in 5-10 years when the new team shine wears off, the Raiders show up and they become a money pit.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
"Shark Tank" multi-millionaire Kevin O'leary (AKA Mr. Wonderful) appeared on the Rich Eisen show today and stated he was "part of a syndicate wanting to move the Phoenix hockey team to Quebec City until Bateman(sic) shut it down. Purchase price around $300 million. Took it to other owners and they said 'Not a chance in hell." See it here http://www.richeisenshow.com/2017/0...shark-tank-joins-the-re-show-in-studio-92017/. Starts at appx 2:45 second mark.

If that's true it's not surprising at all. Many, many people have been floated in the past five years as possible co-investors with Québécor for NHL in Québec. Like René Angélil (RIP) and Brian Mulroney for exemple.

Money's not the issue. It's obvious that in a huge, modern arena in Québec, hockey is a gold mine.

The problem's not the money. It's Bettman and the NHL boys club.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
If that's true it's not surprising at all. Many, many people have been floated in the past five years as possible co-investors with Québécor for NHL in Québec. Like René Angélil (RIP) and Brian Mulroney for exemple.

Money's not the issue. It's obvious that in a huge, modern arena in Québec, hockey is a gold mine.

Exactly...it is all about Bettman and the NHL boys club illusion...

Mr O'Leary said it himself in the interview...the losses in the Phoenix market is what needs to be absorbed...and the only way to make money is from the capital gains...(i.e., to flip it to another market)...where it will make money...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It's obvious that in a huge, modern arena in Québec, hockey is a gold mine.

..... correct:

tumblr_n61dnqyCCz1shio1vo1_400.gif

Exactly...it is all about Bettman and the NHL boys club illusion... Mr O'Leary said it himself in the interview...

Indeed, and an interesting story to say the least. I wasnt aware of this until now nor do I think were many others.

Elephant Igloo

Jan 11, 2017

The league hates Quebec City so much.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I've said this for a while, have Peladeau contact the KHL, do a North American expansion of 6 teams with PKP fronting some of the money at the beginning. If you're PKP you sort of become owner of that Division so the revenues goes directly to you.

My uncle was telling me about when the Nords won the Avco cup in the WHA and he said it was an amazing experience. There was a parade in the city and it was like they had won the Stanley Cup. So you know what? Bring this back.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

And that is why relocation is and will be the only option.

Bettman ( re: the BoG ) does not want a team in Quebec City. Bettman didn't want a team in Winnipeg.

But, when the day comes where the NHL has a choice between contraction or moving a team to a place they don't want to go to... they will move the team to the place they don't want to go to.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

People used to say the same thing about Winnipeg.... So. A little over the top dont you think EI?... I actually believe Gary Bettmans' oft repeated line about "righting wrongs" in bringing the Jets & Nordiques back into the fold. Call me naive' perhaps but no, I dont believe "hatred" has anything to do with QC being rebuffed by way of Expansion. I/we dont really know what went down, not unless you wanna buy into the League narrative that it had to do with Conference Alignment, which I dont particularly buy. Most likely the Quebec card in being un-played being kept in abeyance as a soft landing spot for a potential Relocation..... Do I like it, agree with the NHL's strategy & actions? No Sir, I do not. Acquiring a team at the expense of another market's fan base is no fun for those who lose their club & should be avoided at all costs. And while the NHL mouths such platitudes, how they dont "run out on their fans" they do, they will, the minute any given muni or authority refuses to be Blackmailed & we currently have at least 2, possibly more situations exactly like that on the front burners.... So hang in there, I dont think your hoping & waiting is in vain.

Reactions: amethyst

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
The league does not want the most Eastern city to have a team play in the West. Especially if they already got a couple of dumpster fire in the East anyway. Plus they have not ran out of suckers willing to lose money in Arizona yet. When that happen I'm guessing they start thinking outside the box they build around this problem. The NHL is also scared to death of letting a team move today, and having nowhere else to go tomorrow.

The whole point of the expansion was to fill up Gary rolodex of potential ownership group willing to overpay for a dumpster fire. It did not exactly work out the way it was planned. Now that they got Seattle on track more or less, I predict they cash in on Quebec city in the near future. Probably the minute the shovels hit the ground in Seattle.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
And that is why relocation is and will be the only option.

Bettman ( re: the BoG ) does not want a team in Quebec City. Bettman didn't want a team in Winnipeg.

But, when the day comes where the NHL has a choice between contraction or moving a team to a place they don't want to go to... they will move the team to the place they don't want to go to.

Bit of a stretch. In the Coyotes bankruptcy proceedings a private email was shared with Bettman saying the team should be offered to Winnipeg.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Bit of a stretch. In the Coyotes bankruptcy proceedings a private email was shared with Bettman saying the team should be offered to Winnipeg.

I'm no Bettman apologist, but I find it hard to believe he specifically hates the idea of Quebec and Winnipeg having teams. He simply does not want the Coyotes to move. I feel like even if the golden goose of Seattle was offered as a relocation candidate, and there was still a possibility of saving the Coyotes instead, he'd choose to continue eating the losses.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Need to clarify... when I say Bettman I mean the Board of Govs, because that's who Bettman works for. On a personal level, sure Bettman said the team should be offered to Winnipeg and maybe he feels that way, but on the business side, no one is going to convince me that Jeremy Jacobs ( who basically runs the BoG and has huge influence ) was happy with the idea of the Coyotes potentially going back to Winnipeg, nor was he happy with the Thrashers going to Winnipeg. In either case it was because the NHL had no choice.

And if the Coyotes ever do have to move and the choice is Quebec City or Seattle....we all know where the team is headed.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Need to clarify... when I say Bettman I mean the Board of Govs, because that's who Bettman works for. On a personal level, sure Bettman said the team should be offered to Winnipeg and maybe he feels that way, but on the business side, no one is going to convince me that Jeremy Jacobs ( who basically runs the BoG and has huge influence ) was happy with the idea of the Coyotes potentially going back to Winnipeg, nor was he happy with the Thrashers going to Winnipeg. In either case it was because the NHL had no choice.

And if the Coyotes ever do have to move and the choice is Quebec City or Seattle....we all know where the team is headed.

And you can't see any logic in choosing a new NHL market over a two-time failure? And not even the more successful two-time failure -- after all, Atlanta teams played more years in the NHL than Quebec teams.

Frankly, I suspect that Quebecor got cold feet about buying a franchise and the whole deferred application is the NHL helping Quebecor save face with Quebecois.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
People used to say the same thing about Winnipeg.... So. A little over the top dont you think EI?... I actually believe Gary Bettmans' oft repeated line about "righting wrongs" in bringing the Jets & Nordiques back into the fold. Call me naive' perhaps but no, I dont believe "hatred" has anything to do with QC being rebuffed by way of Expansion. I/we dont really know what went down, not unless you wanna buy into the League narrative that it had to do with Conference Alignment, which I dont particularly buy. Most likely the Quebec card in being un-played being kept in abeyance as a soft landing spot for a potential Relocation..... Do I like it, agree with the NHL's strategy & actions? No Sir, I do not. Acquiring a team at the expense of another market's fan base is no fun for those who lose their club & should be avoided at all costs. And while the NHL mouths such platitudes, how they dont "run out on their fans" they do, they will, the minute any given muni or authority refuses to be Blackmailed & we currently have at least 2, possibly more situations exactly like that on the front burners.... So hang in there, I dont think your hoping & waiting is in vain.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bettman himself say publicly if Quebec City built a brand new arena it would increase their odds of getting an NHL team? As you know that's what they did when the Videotron Centre opened and from what I read it's comparable to Rogers Place in Edmonton and PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh. So for getting about all the other factors with Seattle and how an expansion team their would make more sense to balance out the Western Conference which I know on paper does make sense. When Quebec City stepped up with a new arena what else do they need to do?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bettman himself say publicly if Quebec City built a brand new arena it would increase their odds of getting an NHL team? As you know that's what they did when the Videotron Centre opened and from what I read it's comparable to Rogers Place in Edmonton and PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh. So for getting about all the other factors with Seattle and how an expansion team their would make more sense to balance out the Western Conference which I know on paper does make sense. When Quebec City stepped up with a new arena what else do they need to do?

Yeah I seem to recall hearing him say that however "increasing the odds" in building an arena is no guarantee you'll get a team yet..... that seems rather disingenuous, a sort of double standard at play given how Bettman & Daly have been proactive in Seattle. Meeting with City & County Officials. Potential ownership groups & so on. They didnt meet with the City of Quebec or anyone else up there as far as I know when the whole debate over building a replacement for the Colisee' was going on. Quebec needed a new arena regardless, originally tied into a possible Olympic bid and when that was dropped they proceeded, obviously the hope being that eventually they'd land an NHL franchise....

As for "what else do they need to do"?.... Theyve seemingly done everything they can at least publicly & from a business perspective. Followed the NHL's processes, they havent gone after any teams in trouble with hostile relocation attempts, like Winnipeg had done bided their time, quietly lobbying, no public pronouncements or demands, no criticisms of the NHL etc. Quebecor dropped a tonne on french language broadcast rights, content for TVA & their other french language media platforms. Theyve' really done everything right & theres not a lot more they can do if they stick to the NHL's general policies, dont rock the boat, dont go after a team in trouble, dont be stating anything in public thats been discussed, behave & then "maybe".

So while Quebec's done all it can, absolutely beyond NHL ready, no criticism of the NHL subsequent to being turned down while Vegas receives a team, the NHL, namely Jeremy Jacobs, starts shooting his mouth off to reporters, publicly. How he's "disappointed that we didnt receive applications from Seattle, Houston, Southern Ontario" and so on. Goes on to suggest "grave concerns with the CDN$ and Quebec", that Conference Alignments a major issue, how awarding a team to QC "does nothing to grow the game" and that its small market. All criticism's that not only ring hollow, are untrue, but criticisms that can easily be disassembled, deconstructed & destroyed. Utter nonsense. Conference alignment an obstacle sure but its fixable, man made construct. No ones talking about rearranging the planets in our solar system for Gods sake. To even address Jacobs statements is to reward duplicity & stupidity with dignity & he doesnt deserve it, doesnt deserve any respect yet... play the game one must, and so here we are. Stuck in neutral. No one from Quebecor's group screaming Blue Murder as they might want to for fear of ticking off the NHL, winding up Blackballed altogether. Nasty, unjust, absolutely irrational situation.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I seem to recall hearing him say that however "increasing the odds" in building an arena is no guarantee you'll get a team yet..... that seems rather disingenuous, a sort of double standard at play given how Bettman & Daly have been proactive in Seattle. Meeting with City & County Officials. Potential ownership groups & so on. They didnt meet with the City of Quebec or anyone else up there as far as I know when the whole debate over building a replacement for the Colisee' was going on. Quebec needed a new arena regardless, originally tied into a possible Olympic bid and when that was dropped they proceeded, obviously the hope being that eventually they'd land an NHL franchise....

As for "what else do they need to do"?.... Theyve seemingly done everything they can at least publicly & from a business perspective. Followed the NHL's processes, they havent gone after any teams in trouble with hostile relocation attempts, like Winnipeg had done bided their time, quietly lobbying, no public pronouncements or demands, no criticisms of the NHL etc. Quebecor dropped a tonne on french language broadcast rights, content for TVA & their other french language media platforms. Theyve' really done everything right & theres not a lot more they can do if they stick to the NHL's general policies, dont rock the boat, dont go after a team in trouble, dont be stating anything in public thats been discussed, behave & then "maybe".

So while Quebec's done all it can, absolutely beyond NHL ready, no criticism of the NHL subsequent to being turned down while Vegas receives a team, the NHL, namely Jeremy Jacobs, starts shooting his mouth off to reporters, publicly. How he's "disappointed that we didnt receive applications from Seattle, Houston, Southern Ontario" and so on. Goes on to suggest "grave concerns with the CDN$ and Quebec", that Conference Alignments a major issue, how awarding a team to QC "does nothing to grow the game" and that its small market. All criticism's that not only ring hollow, are untrue, but criticisms that can easily be disassembled, deconstructed & destroyed. Utter nonsense. Conference alignment an obstacle sure but its fixable, man made construct. No ones talking about rearranging the planets in our solar system for Gods sake. To even address Jacobs statements is to reward duplicity & stupidity with dignity & he doesnt deserve it, doesnt deserve any respect yet... play the game one must, and so here we are. Stuck in neutral. No one from Quebecor's group screaming Blue Murder as they might want to for fear of ticking off the NHL, winding up Blackballed altogether. Nasty, unjust, absolutely irrational situation.
Besides the comments from Jacobs, didn't Bettman also say he was disappointed not to have received a bid from Seattle once the application deadline passed? Although maybe those were the comments from Jacobs, because I do remember it was long before Vegas was approved and Quebec City was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad