Quebec Nordiques: expansion or relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelle Lindbergh

Sep 9, 2006
Montreal
With all the infos we know now, and the Videotron center is maybe one the best arena in America, fans are already there, owners are named, tv contract included. Do you think at the end that the team will comes from expansion or relocation ?
Bettman asked to built a new arena, its done, they cant wait too long, now the arena is hitech and brand new , they cant wait that the arena to be a relic like the copps coliseum to bring back the team.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
What tells you they can't wait too long ?

As it goes, NHL is allowing it self to say that a 12 years old arena is not good enough.

So in my opinion, if you make it a pool, add a 3rd option : Ain't happening.

Pelle Lindbergh

Sep 9, 2006
Montreal
Now they have a brand arena, why wait ?
Remember , maybe in 2015, bettman wanted a league of 36 teams...
Quebecor built the arena, without promises ? Impossible
Quebecor went with the expansion bid last year, just for the thrill of it ? Impossible
Quebecor have a tv contract with the league, they created a channel fornthe return of the Nordiques, without promises , impossible.

For me, i think it will relocation, because if it was supposed to be expansion, it will be done deal at the moment.

Islanders : impossible, because of the history, and the ny area
Coyotes : i hope not because its my second favorite team, and theyndont want to loose the arizona market
Hurricanes : maybe the solution, with karmanos already out of the picture, in the board, not buyer from the area, i dont like cities losing teams but its the more logic situation.

YoungGuns

May 22, 2013
Calgary, AB
My bet is relocation within the next 3 years. There was a reason Quebec expansion was "put on hold" and the Canadian dollar wasn't the reason in my opinion. I believe they were told to hang on tight and be ready for a team at any point.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Seems like relocation is more likely with a few eastern franchises still not turning an ideal profit.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Relocation and sooner rather than later. The NHL are juggling way too many flaming balls of turd at the moment. Regardless of alignment and ideal solution it probably Quebecor time to crap or get off the pot. If they don't somebody else will smell the blood in the water and grab their lunch.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
It's relocation or nothing since the NHL basically boxed QC out of expansion. By all appearances, the NHL is keeping QC available as a relocation destination. It's seemingly being reserved for an eastern team to maintain the division alignment although we'll have to see how flexible they are with the Coyotes and their issues, how committed they are to Arizona.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
It's relocation or nothing since the NHL basically boxed QC out of expansion. By all appearances, the NHL is keeping QC available as a relocation destination. It's seemingly being reserved for an eastern team to maintain the division alignment although we'll have to see how flexible they are with the Coyotes and their issues, how committed they are to Arizona.

Quebec could likely play in the central for a few years while the other problem children get sorted out or a new realignment comes about. Winnipeg did something similar for 2 seasons.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think the Coyotes will be relocated to Quebec this summer or next. I think the Arizona state senate bill for a tax district will fail to make it to the house and the loca Indian Tribes will be the last hope for the Coyotes. I think the Indians are too shrewd to be conned by the slimy hucksters that own the Coyotes these days, and will eventually tell the Yotes to get lost. Quebec is he only city in North America prepared to take on a homeless NHL team at a moments notice.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Now they have a brand arena, why wait ?
Remember , maybe in 2015, bettman wanted a league of 36 teams...
Quebecor built the arena, without promises ? Impossible
Quebecor went with the expansion bid last year, just for the thrill of it ? Impossible
Quebecor have a tv contract with the league, they created a channel fornthe return of the Nordiques, without promises , impossible.

For me, i think it will relocation, because if it was supposed to be expansion, it will be done deal at the moment.

Islanders : impossible, because of the history, and the ny area
Coyotes : i hope not because its my second favorite team, and theyndont want to loose the arizona market
Hurricanes : maybe the solution, with karmanos already out of the picture, in the board, not buyer from the area, i dont like cities losing teams but its the more logic situation.

I wish as much as anyone else from Quebec to have the Nordiques back. But they way the league is doing business, I am not having high hopes.

We can't ignore what they are currently doing in Arizona and the Glendale arena.

Neither. Quebec has failed as an NHL market twice, why should they get another chance?

As long as no one proposes another team in Atlanta I'm fine with it.

Btw, what would you think of Arizona ? Should they give a 3rd chance to Coyotes there or is it failed after 2 times, no more ?

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
I wish as much as anyone else from Quebec to have the Nordiques back. But they way the league is doing business, I am not having high hopes.

We can't ignore what they are currently doing in Arizona and the Glendale arena.

As long as no one proposes another team in Atlanta I'm fine with it.

Btw, what would you think of Arizona ? Should they give a 3rd chance to Coyotes there or is it failed after 2 times, no more ?

Coyotes have been in Arizona for 20 years, they should stay there.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Coyotes have been in Arizona for 20 years, they should stay there.

Okay, but they are seeking to get a 3rd arena in a different location in Arizona.

If Quebec is a twice failed NHL market over a course of 100 years, when does Arizona starts showing signs of weakness with all that happened in the last 20 years ?

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Either is good. Whatever. We'll see.

Anyways, right now I'm richer because I'm not spending money on Nordiques group Season Tickets. So it's maybe more of a blessing in disguise.

And anyways, the Centre Videotron isn't wasted at all, it has awesome shows all the time. And the Remparts have better attendance then many Southern US teams, are cheaper to go see, and we're not sending our dollars to Pheonix trough revenue sharing.

Also, I've become addicted to the Coyotes Saga after so many years. If they ever relocated it'd be like Game of Thrones was cancelled.

Either way it'll happen eventually, I think. And if it doesn't, it's the NHL's loss. Not ours.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Quebec could likely play in the central for a few years while the other problem children get sorted out or a new realignment comes about. Winnipeg did something similar for 2 seasons.

If they were in the Central, the NHL could move Quebec and Columbus to the Atlantic and move the two Florida teams to the Central.

Quebec would be natural rivals with Montreal, and the two Florida teams could remain together.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Okay, but they are seeking to get a 3rd arena in a different location in Arizona.

If Quebec is a twice failed NHL market over a course of 100 years, when does Arizona starts showing signs of weakness with all that happened in the last 20 years ?

First of all the Coyotes were never meant to stay in America West Arena, they were supposed to move to a new arena built in Scottsdale but the deal fell thru and they had to settle for the one in Glendale which is a terrible location. With a proper arena in a good location the team should be successful. Just look at Ottawa and they're problems with attendance and the bankruptcy. Senators need a new downtown Arena to survive also but I guess in their case that's okay.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
So you have lost your team in the past and hope others have to do the same?

Come on man. That's not how I think. But after the NHL humiliated Québecor, stole ten million dollars from the group and refused us expansion. Is it any wonder many of us wish misery and pain on the rest of the NHL?

We wouldn't be here if they'd done the right thing and accepted to take our money.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Maybe they should have but they didn't. I'm sure they didn't move because they were too profitable.

They literally never lost a single cent. Ever. They were always profitable.

Aubut and the NHL used the speculative made up excuse that "according to their calculations the team would start losing money in the next few years", to sell to Colorado. But the team was always profitable. It never lost a penny.

It was a travesty. Like the North Stars moving to Dallas. But whatever. It was forever ago. Everyone's moved to other things.[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad