GDT: Quarterfinal - May 23 - Finland vs Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Have you ever watched these teams play before? It doesn’t matter if one team is better on paper because these games are all about heart.

I’m thinking this is going to be a one goal game. Look at Latvia for reference.

I'm seen many Finland vs Sweden hockey rivalries in my lifetime thanks for asking.
And how that belongs in this thread could you please tell me.

But now Finland has their C or D team in these IIHF men's worlds and that team is EHT level team.
If you seriously believe on that the gap between Sweden and Finland in these IIHF men's worlds is so small as you think you'll be terribly wrong. Finland doesn't have enough talent to beat Sweden in quarterfinal and that's a fact.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I hope there comes a time when I can see a Finnish NHL top team playing against a Swedish SHL team. That would be nice.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Finland 4, Sweden 0.

Finland will start Olkinuora, who posts a shutout.

Kakko will score all four. First from a breakaway. The second with a lacrosse scoop. The third will bounce in from Lundqvist's helmet. The fourth will bounce in off Kakko's crotch. It will be allowed after a coach's challenge, because Grönborg will want to measure Kakko's stick to see if he was playing with illegal equipment.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Kakko will do some miracles again tonight but I'm not sure will that be enough to win the game.

Finland could have something like 1/4 chance to win the game, hopefully this is that one. I'll go with 4-1 Sweden or 4-0 Sweden though. They will freeze the game after 2 goal lead and will get few goals after that as well.

My expectations on a SWE-FIN game have never been this low regarding Finland's win chances.

Reactions: illone84

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
No we don't, we can ice a better team than this with 100% different players.
Yup, only about a third of these guys would make the actual A roster. It's still a very strong team on paper though. Let's hope they can start playing up to their potential now, because they have never really fired on all cylinders.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
finns who seems to have lost a gear or 2 after a great start of the tournament!
The early tournament was a miracle itself. No one in Finland was expecting the team to even reach the playoffs, much less win Canada. The team is basically the C level national team, consisting of career-local team players.

Reactions: FinPanda

king89

Dec 4, 2018
I'm seen many Finland vs Sweden hockey rivalries in my lifetime thanks for asking.

But now Finland has their C or D team in these IIHF men's worlds and that team is EHT level team.
If you seriously believe on that the gap between Sweden and Finland in these IIHF men's worlds is so small as you think you'll be terribly wrong. Finland doesn't have enough talent to beat Sweden in quarterfinal and that's a fact.
Did not know that it was a fact, where can i find these facts? Wikipedia?

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Sweden won two periods against Russia but got wrecked in 2nd period and coach should have called a timeout earlier. Felt bad for Markström that got left alone for most of the goals.

Finland is just like Canada a team with less stars but with good chemistry and if Lankinen perform well im not sure it will be a cakewalk for Sweden.

We are missing Zibanejad, Bäckström, Hedman, Karlsson etc to be able to field a roster of the same caliber as Russia.

And looking at this past season, if Lehner wasnt UFA im sure he would be our #1 goalie for this tournament, Hank just havnt had a good season.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
I think The key for Sweden is to "control" Kakko. What is he 18yrs old? Put some veteran grinders, who knows all the tricks, on him, like Lander and Kruger, and let Landeskog do the talking to him, and I think that if he is human, and whit that inexperience, he then shouldnt have the time or space to carry an entire National-team on his back offensively again and after him, who are the goal-scorers for this team Finland?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Eh, it's not a fact. If Finland wins this game it would be nowhere near the biggest upsets in hockey history. The odds are something like 4 to 1 in favour of Sweden which is probably pretty accurate.

The biggest difference between NHL'ers and good european league players is their ability to capitilize on scoring chances. This has been evident with this Finnish team as well. Over an 82 game season they couldn't score enough to be successful. But in one game? Anything is possible. Kakko could score a couple of goals, someone random could score another and Lankinen could be standing on his head. That can be enough to win one game.

Remember they are also playing with virtually no pressure on them at all in this game. Let's just hope this isn't one of the five games where Finland comes out on top.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
they beat us in wjc aswell

Yeah, but i was only talking about seniors. Fact is that we almost win everytime against Finland when we have NHL-players on the roster and they also do. Now that we have a whole squad full of NHL-players and Finland has zero f*** i just can’t se us lose this.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Can't help but to still be pissed at the players who keep turning down the opportunity to represent their country.

Barkov, Aho and Rantanen clearly give a damn and have my respects. A certain defenseman from Buffalo doesn't. Keeps whining about long and hard NHL seasons but doesn't realize that he needs to play till June if he ever wants to win the Cup :laugh:. A couple of weeks in a tournament where a good proportion of the teams are subpar is nothing in comparison.

Reactions: FinPanda and king89

MRodman

Apr 15, 2019
Can't help but to still be pissed at the players who keep turning down the opportunity to represent their country.

Barkov, Aho and Rantanen clearly give a damn and have my respects. A certain defenseman from Buffalo doesn't. Keeps whining about long and hard NHL seasons but doesn't realize that he needs to play till June if he ever wants to win the Cup :laugh:. A couple of weeks in a tournament where a good proportion of the teams are subpar is nothing in comparison.

What about Laine?

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
4-1 for Finland Kaski will make 2 at PP. Savinainen will make 1 and Kakko for sure 1. Landy will make some lucky bounce goal.
I should not be drinking coffee and reading HF Boards. Spit it all out laughing at Kaski scoring 2 :laugh::naughty::nod::sarcasm:

JHB

Feb 15, 2019

C'mon, Finland doesn't have their D team. They have their B team, just like Sweden. Finland just have less NHL players overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad