GDT: Quarterfinal - May 23 - Finland vs Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
4-1 for Finland Kaski will make 2 at PP. Savinainen will make 1 and Kakko for sure 1. Landy will make some lucky bounce goal.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

king89

Dec 4, 2018
I can't believe people think about Finland as a stronger team.
Easy win for Sweden 3-0 or 4-1.
I don't think Finland is the stronger team? Where have i/anyone written it?:)

Finland is comparable to Schweiz/Latvia. And Sweden did not have easy games against them.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013

Finland is comparable to Schweiz/Latvia. And Sweden did not have easy games against them.

I think Switzerland is on a higher level than Latvia. I was surprised that Sweden struggled so much to win against Latvia. Concerning Finland they could easily lose the game against Switzerland with this team. Don't forget that Switzerland has some good players from the NHL like Niederreiter, Fiala, Hischier, Andrighetto.

But for the game against Sweden due to the rivality between Finland and Sweden these games are always special. On the paper Sweden is the stronger team but as you said Sweden struggled with Latvia too. So may be if Sweden doesn't have his best day may be Finland can win though Sweden is the favourite.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This should be soooooooooo easy for Sweded.

Just take Kakko out of the game and you don't even need to show up on the ice.

5+ goals for Sweden.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I think Switzerland is on a higher level than Latvia. I was surprised that Sweden struggled so much to win against Latvia. Concerning Finland they could easily lose the game against Switzerland with this team. Don't forget that Switzerland has some good players from the NHL like Niederreiter, Fiala, Hischier, Andrighetto.

But for the game against Sweden due to the rivality between Finland and Sweden these games are always special. On the paper Sweden is the stronger team but as you said Sweden struggled with Latvia too. So may be if Sweden doesn't have his best day may be Finland can win though Sweden is the favourite.
This is not very special! When the Finns had a much stronger team on paper as now,we could speak about "special". Looking in the past 2017(1:4) and 2013(0:3) the finns were chanceless vs Swedish top-teams

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto

But vs Finland, Sweden always goes stronger because they know how does it feels to beat Finland.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
On paper this looks like a game where Sweden should be big favorites, but they haven't strung together three decent periods in these championships this year so far. Top point producers aren't producing, goaltending is looking shaky at best and the defense have been surprisingly bad. They're also prone to collapsing after bad breaks.

Thinking this will be an upset, 4-2 Finland.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
On paper this looks like a game where Sweden should be big favorites, but they haven't strung together three decent periods in these championships this year so far. Top point producers aren't producing, goaltending is looking shaky at best and the defense have been surprisingly bad. They're also prone to collapsing after bad breaks.

Thinking this will be an upset, 4-2 Finland.
But "Sweden is Sweden"! Im 100 % conviced that Sweden win this game. I bet my monthly salary upon. ;) ;)

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Good that Sweden had the Russia game before. A well needed dose of reality check. With that said i think Sweden will win.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Sweden have won the last five games against Finland in the three big tournaments, World Championship, Olympics and World Cup. Should probably make that six, but you never know. Finland normally only beats us in EHT.

JHB

Feb 15, 2019
Hope for Russia - Sweden semi, but won't get surpeised, if it turns out to be Finland - USA...

I think Sweden lost on purpose against Russia. Pretty sure you will see a different Sweden if they meet in the semis.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I honestly think that Finland has in many ways been better than Sweden so far. We've gotten by all too often on individual brilliance and that's not a recipe for success. Outside the Wennberg line, our team seems like one of those where the whole is less than the individual parts. The Pettersson line has been good, but it should be dominant. The bottom six does not look very strong on paper, but look worse on ice except for individual efforts by Kempe. The defense pairings should be the strongest of the tournament, but it certainly doesn't feel like it.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Finland cut off all space for Nylander, and outduel the rest of the team. My Finnish friends would lord that over me for months, even though they say I'm crazy to think that this will be an even fight. Finns give us way too much credit nowadays. Wouldn't surprise me if they have a winning record against us over the last five years ago, counting junior to Olympics.

thestudent

May 10, 2011
View attachment 230097
9GJVwdTWa598z3z29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad