GDT: Quarter Final: Russia Vs Switzerland | 6:30AM EST 12:30PM CET | RUS 3 - 1 SUI

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Askarov hasn't been the better goalie of the two at this tournament so far. Period. Whether he'll look better down the road or not is a whole different question. But claiming that Miftakhov has been giving the team a less of a chance of winning at this tournament is asinine and anyone who says this loses all credibility on the spot.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I dunno why, but I have a weird gut feeling that in this game lies the first upset (and probably the only one if Finland wont win the US).

Very early game, Swiss's somewhat disciplined showing against us in the last round robin game + possible confidence boost from that game and if Charlin stays in net and Swiss will finish their counterattacks effectively like they did against us and they dont have the pressures in this game mentally they may take this one. If not on the regulation; then atleast in overtime.

Ofc Bragin's coached teams are also very disciplined and dont take anything for granted or lightly, but somehow I see this as a potential upset.

Anybody else have the same feeling here, or am I the only one?

I mean I'd take it but I fear that we're too banged up to compete with Russia. Especially on defense. Injuries on defense mean that we have to expose our young defenders so Russia is gonna get their chances and with Hollenstein in goal (I don't see Paterlini starting somebody else) that's gonna result in too many goals against.

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
I mean I'd take it but I fear that we're too banged up to compete with Russia. Especially on defense. Injuries on defense mean that we have to expose our young defenders so Russia is gonna get their chances and with Hollenstein in goal (I don't see Paterlini starting somebody else) that's gonna result in too many goals against.

Has Hollenstein lost his confidence in this tournament, cuz he still seems to have terrific stats in NLA. Okey its only 8 games up, but still. Has he had a responsible D in front of him in NLA or is it up to something else atm?

Cuz in my opinion, even if it was predictably easy to defend against us and Charlin in net, I saw it more like that way they didnt need to put bodies infront of the shots we were taken on him cuz ur D guided us to corners most of the times.

I know Finland is notch below Russia and its harder team to defend against cuz of their individual skill, speed and size, but wuld it be the first time actually that early game gives some nervosity for the Russians that tends to lean on preparation and has the pressures of them.

Ofc Askarov or Miftakhov on their lvl are very good goalies whoever starts it for Russia, but its not easy task either for a gk if theres any doubt or juniorlvl future-seeking.

Mentally beating us culd've been the thing why this Swiss group of guys will play at their best flow. But yh we will see it when the game begins.

Russia is a heavy favorite, but if D and gk wont leak in Swiss side + they remain disciplined, I culd see this as a tight one goal game contest.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Has Hollenstein lost his confidence in this tournament, cuz he still seems to have terrific stats in NLA. Okey its only 8 games up, but still. Has he had a responsible D in front of him in NLA or is it up to something else atm?

Cuz in my opinion, even if it was predictably easy to defend against us and Charlin in net, I saw it more like that way they didnt need to put bodies infront of the shots we were taken on him cuz ur D guided us to corners most of the times.

I know Finland is notch below Russia and its harder team to defend against cuz of their individual skill, speed and size, but wuld it be the first time actually that early game gives some nervosity for the Russians that tends to lean on preparation and has the pressures of them.

Ofc Askarov or Miftakhov on their lvl are very good goalies whoever starts it for Russia, but its not easy task either for a gk if theres any doubt or juniorlvl future-seeking.

Mentally beating us culd've been the thing why this Swiss group of guys will play at their best flow. But yh we will see it when the game begins.

Russia is a heavy favorite, but if D and gk wont leak in Swiss side + they remain disciplined, I culd see this as a tight one goal game contest.

Well, Zug is leading the NLA ahead of the defending champs with less games played so they're doing something right. But no. I wouldn't describe their defense as particularly good. With the puck yes...against it, meh...

Genoni's numbers support that...they're much lower than Hollenstein's.
What went wrong for Hollenstein in this tournament? No idea but there's no point in trying again with the options we have. We do have three strong goalies who could have made almost any roster.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Miftakhov has not choked. Bragin choked with another stupid goalie decision. He is known to do those. Who playes even a great starter on back to backs against top opponents? And no, right now Askarov is not superior. He might be going forward, but he is 17.

Not playing Askarov is like not playing Svechnikov. 17 or not, they're elite. One bad game doesn't change that.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Not playing Askarov is like not playing Svechnikov. 17 or not, they're elite. One bad game doesn't change that.
I guess this is more of a reply to Atas but Vasilevsky had .953 Sv% at WJC in his draft year so yeah, Askarov definitely should be in the net. He just has to bring it now. Also let's face it, this is not the best opponent, so it's the perfect game to either get Askarov into the rhythm or not play him in the semis, if he really is not in tune in this tournament.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Morozov. you suck. Not a single time this guy was able to shoot the damn puck with hundreds of opportunities on the tourney. Just flat out sucks at hockey.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Up early for this one, a great day of hockey ahead! The longer this goes scoreless, you have to think that's better for Switzerland (knock on wood).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad