GDT: Quarter Final: Russia Vs Switzerland | 6:30AM EST 12:30PM CET | RUS 3 - 1 SUI

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
It was a well deserved win for Russia. They played disciplined through out the game, put early pressure on the Swiss side on the forechecking, thus not giving them room for a proper transition game and looked like the were generally happy in controling the game by monopolizing the puck. I think Russia saved quite some energy today. Something most other quarterfinalist might can't afford.

With the gameplan the Swiss had, it's crucial that the transition game works properly, which wasn't the case, partly forced by the Russians. So then to stay competitive, you either need an individual effort to gain an advantage, or have to rely on a quality PP. PP was poor and beside Nussbaumer and Knak, none of the Swiss forwards were confident enough to try something with the puck, that's just not enough. So it all came down to lucky bounces to win the game, which didn't came in spades today.

Overall I think the Swiss had a excellent tournament, regarding this year's talentpool. Lucky enough to be in the weaker group, but still 3 wins. One against Finland, and a blow-out against Slovakia, a rare occasion, that's more than one could have hoped for. The quality and depth regarding GKs and Ds was there for a bigger splash, but unfortunately not among Fs.

For next year Switzerland will lose all its GK and D quality, and as it looks today, the 01ers forwards have even less quality than the 00ers, and no one even remotely comparable to Nussbaumer's on-ice presence.
Alot will depend on Knak. And even Austria could be a potential danger if a gamebreaker like Rossi will be there.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Not playing Askarov is like not playing Svechnikov. 17 or not, they're elite. One bad game doesn't change that.
He was giving up really bad rebounds. It's not the typical Askarov, it's this particular 17y.o. still nervous. The problem is, against further opponents those rebounds will be goals against most probably.

Reactions: lilidk

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought the Russians were very good in this game. The Swiss kept it close because they have a good defense and buy into the system, but the Russians drove play the whole game.

The Russians have the best defense in this tournament, in my opinion. All their defensemen can play. And they have a lot of skill in their forward core. They very good lines. Their 4th line is a little weak. They shouldn't play those guys more than 10 minutes per game. I'd go with Miftakhov in net. I think he's more of a known. Askarov is too erratic. He'll be a great goalie in a few years, but at this level, I'm not sure he's up to the task.

On the Swiss side of things, I liked what I saw from Gross. He looked a lot better with the puck than what I had seen previously. I think we should give him a contract after this season.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Russia looked really good in this game, and what was most encouraging were big saves by Askarov. Russia has all the tools to win if they get top level goaltending.

Reactions: Hinterland

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
No, because it was as weak of a spear as they come. But there is only one call for it in the rule book, isn't there?

To be honest, if this was a group stage I wouldn't even be surprised by 1 game suspension, this is IIHF after all. Having said that, I think they aren't gonna do it for the semis.

Crickets

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You claimed there was a "spear". There wasn't a peep said about it, anywhere. Crickets
Don't really see how one correlates to another. By the rules it was a spear, I asked you like 10 times how would you call it if you were a ref and still no answer *crickets* . But sure it was very weak so why would anyone be talking about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->