GDT: Quarter Final | Russia Vs Germany | 1/2 @ 10 AM | TSN/NHL

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
All is well, Russia plays much better against the top teams.

From now on , you will see a different team Russia with Abramov / Chinakhov back in the lineup

I hope Chinakhov comes back. Without him it's a shit show.

Reactions: c9gunner

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Is it just me or is TSN coverage of team Russia really bitter? Any mistake the Russians make gets special bashing, like they are eager and happy to point out how badly the Russian player has done

Canadians salty as usual.

The COVID is getting to them and their friends in the South aren't giving them any vaccine.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Podz with a terrible game

He was invisible. I think he has an injured hand though doesn’t he? Wouldn’t explain the lack of jump he had in his legs though.

He was pretty good overall so far before today.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
I hope the Russian fans

The Russian fans (with only few exceptions) are very busy with bashing Larionov and its team right now. I checked a couple of Russian hockey boards and couldn't believe how much crap this team is getting from Russian fans.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

Antonglk

Dec 28, 2012
Moscow, Russia
The shots accuracy of this Russian team is terrible. They have control of the puck, they have a lot of chances, but shots are going in to the center of the goal, or going wide. Not sure why it so.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Yes, was asking which winner of the next 3 games do they play?
Reseeding takes place, so you can't tell yet. Assuming Canada and USA take care of business (which they might not, who knows), and Sweden beats Finland, it's:

Canada - Sweden
USA - Russia

But if Finland beats Sweden (they seem to have Sweden's number the past several years), it's:

Canada - Russia
USA - Finland

So Russia plays either Canada or USA, assuming those two teams get in. Czechs can be a frustrating opponent though. And tough. So the bracket goes upside down if the Czechs win. And so on.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's ok. They have lots of bitter memories.
It's a reaction to the way Canada always gets roasted by your fans and media IMO. And that is because you have even more bitter memories of Canada.

I don't blame them or TSN to be honest, we will always hate each other in hockey and frankly I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Against Canada?

It was a draw basically. Larionov gave Askarov a rest in the 3rd period, and his backup let in a soft wrist shot from outside to make it a 1-0 final. To be honest, for all the hype surrounding the "best Canadian junior team ever" talk that was filling the posts, Canada didn't look that impressive. Maybe just a pretournament warmup, but they looked beatable from a very average Russian team.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm not so sure, they had a great tournament but what happens without Stutzle? They still have a bunch of countries to jump before they touch the Czech's.
I'd say it's extremely close at every level.. Jr. World's and best on best.
I have no doubt that this years full team would've beat the Czechs... we have nothing like a Stutzel or a Seider... or a Peterka and Reichel.lol
It was a very nice win last year over us. I was really impressed.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Just barely surviving is still surviving, but Russia appears to be continuing its uninspired and unimpressive march toward ...... 4th place? They look disunited, disorganized, selfish, and often, demoralized as they tread water out there, just barely surviving. It's almost hard to tell by the way they play, but some of those kids are very talented and might show up very well if they had any sort of team chemistry. If they should draw Canada as their SF opponent, maybe Canada will discount them and take them lightly. The United States likely would be motivated by revenge after losing to them in their opening contest. They deserve to be a big underdog, but there is always the hope in a single elimination playoff that they could have a good game and surprise someone by sending them home, even if they are already home, so to speak.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Just barely surviving is still surviving, but Russia appears to be continuing its uninspired and unimpressive march toward ...... 4th place? They look disunited, disorganized, selfish, and often, demoralized as they tread water out there, just barely surviving. It's almost hard to tell by the way they play, but some of those kids are very talented and might show up very well if they had any sort of team chemistry. If they should draw Canada as their SF opponent, maybe Canada will discount them and take them lightly. The United States likely would be motivated by revenge after losing to them in their opening contest. They deserve to be a big underdog, but there is always the hope in a single elimination playoff that they could have a good game and surprise someone by sending them home, even if they are already home, so to speak.

Russia never plays too well against highly defensive styles of play and usually "shows up" against the top contenders, with all due respect to the German team and their effort tonight. I wouldn't be too quick to judge the team after this QF.

Reactions: Fried Tree Sap

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I say gold medal game and have from start... Beat US right away and then beat the streak. German's were coming on strong and were completely smothered in the final 5 minutes. When the time comes to rise up, I think Russia will.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but if Canada and the US win as expected, Germany will finish 6th, which would put them in the same group as Austria (2/3/6/7/10) next year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see Stutzle has been elevated to demigod status.

He's really good, but I think the people saying he can beat Russia on his own are exaggerating things. My general rule is that one player, unless we are talking about a real generational level talent (and we don't see those from the non-big five countries), is not good enough to beat a big five team on their own.

Now, if Germany had Stuetzle, Seider, Peterka, Reichel, and Ancicka all playing, maybe they could've pulled off the upset. However, a weak Russian team still beats them here, albeit in a close game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad