Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
upload_2021-1-1_10-44-19.png

full

Russia
Confirmed Tournament Roster

Forwards:
Mikhail Abramov, Victoriaville Tigres (QMJHL)
Yegor Afanasiev, CSKA Moscow (KHL)
Rodion Amirov, Salavat Yulayev Ufa (KHL)
Zakhar Bardakov, Vityaz Podolsk (KHL)
Danil Bashkirov, Salavat Yulayev Ufa (KHL)
Yegor Chinakhov, Avangard Omsk (KHL)
Vladislav Firstov, University of Connecticut (NCAA)
Arseni Gritsyuk, Avangard Omsk (KHL)
Maxim Groshev, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)
Marat Khusnutdinov, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)
Vasili Podkolzin, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)
Vasili Ponomaryov, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)
Ilya Safonov, Ak Bars Kazan (KHL)
Yegor Spiridonov, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)
Defencemen:
Roman Bychkov, Buran Voronezh (VHL)
Danil Chaika, CSKA Moscow (KHL)
Semyon Chistyakov, Avangard Omsk (KHL)
Kirill Kirsanov, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)
Artemi Knyazev, Ak Bars Kazan (KHL)
Yan Kuznetsov, University of Connecticut (NCAA)
Shakir Mukhamadullin, Salavat Yulayev Ufa (KHL)
Yegor Shekhovtsov, SKA-Neva St. Petersburg (VHL)
Goaltenders:
Artur Akhtyamov, Ak Bars Kazan (KHL)
Yaroslav Askarov, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)
Vsevolod Skotnikov, CSKA Moscow (KHL)

full

Germany
Confirmed Tournament Roster

Forwards:
Manuel Alberg, Red Bull Hockey Juniors
Jakub Borzecki, Red Bull Hockey Juniors
Julian Chrobot, Kolner Haie
Samuel Dube, Red Bull Hockey Juniors
Florian Elias, Adler Mannheim
Enrico Henriquez-Morales, ERC Ingolstadt
Jan Nijenhuis, Grizzlys Wolfsburg
John Peterka, Red Bull Munich
Filip Reisnecker, Fischtown Pinguins Bremerhaven
Joshua Samanski, Owen Sound Attack (OHL)
Jan-Luca Schumacher, Heilbronner Falken
Markus Schweiger, ESV Kaufbeuren
Tim Stutzle, Adler Mannheim
Justin Volek, Ravensburg Tower Stars
Defencemen:
Lucas Flade, Dresdner Eislowen
Maximilian Glotzl, Kolner Haie
Simon Gnyp, Kolner Haie
Niklas Langer, Augsburger Panther
Luca Munzenberger, Kolner Haie
Steven Raabe, Grizzlys Wolfsburg
Maksymilian Szuber, Red Bull Hockey Juniors
Mario Zimmermann, EV Landshut
Goaltenders:
Florian Bugl, Red Bull Hockey Juniors
Jonas Gahr, Lowen Frankfurt
Arno Tiefensee, Adler Mannheim

Do not ask for or provide links to illegal streams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Heart says Germany, head screams Russia....
That Germany goaltending tho...Woof
Discard those first two games when the team had their third and fourth stringer in net. Bugl was actually quite good until the panic set in for the last few minutes of that game.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
With Bragin behind the bench there would no be a question, Russia would beat this Germany every time. With Larionov this team is still an enigma. They didn't really show up for Czech and Austria and played somewhat decent against US and Swe. I still think this team Russia is too talented to lose since I don't believe in the hype for the Germans, they collected the points playing against weaker teams. Russia should play a solid game with 6:1 win.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
With Bragin behind the bench there would no be a question
Based on what exactly? Bragin had his share of very bad games including a few losses to the Czechs in round robin and several eliminations in quarterfinals. Bragin was ok, but not great. Over his career he had 5 WJC finals and won only one (2011 in Buffalo) and in my opinion the Buffalo gold was won by the individual talent and effort, not by superior coaching (As far as I remember his coaching in that game was limited to yelling and breaking a coaching board which probably helped with motivation, but it's not really a technique a great coach should use).

Last edited:

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
As far as I remember under Bragin they medaled every time except for 2018 when they lost to the US in quarterfinal. That is an amazing achievement. I am not sure what other quarterfinal exits you are talking about. I think he was getting the best he could out of the material he had. 2018 roster was weak so no shame that year.

Based on what exactly? Bragin had his share of very bad games including a few losses to the Czechs in round robin and several eliminations in quarterfinals. Bragin was ok, but not great. Over his career he had 5 WJC finals and won only one (2011 in Buffalo) and in my opinion the Buffalo gold was won by the individual talent and team effort, not by superior coaching.

Reactions: snipes

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Your heart says Germany? You're from there or something?
Does he have to be? I'd prefer a Germany win as well, but it's not because I dislike Russia. A) Germany is an underdog and it's always fun to see underdogs win. B) Germany went through more adversity this tournament than any WJC team in history, and it's nice to see them rewarded for it. C) This is actually the first time they've ever been to even a quarterfinal so imagine how big it would be for Germany to make the semis. Lots of good reasons to have your heart set on Germany.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
As far as I remember under Bragin they medaled every time except for 2018 when they lost to the US in quarterfinal. That is an amazing achievement. I am not sure what other quarterfinal exits you are talking about. I think he was getting the best he could out of the material he had. 2018 roster was weak so no shame that year.

You are right - only one loss in quarterfinals ( I forgot that in 2010 the head coach was Pluschev, not Bragin) I stand corrected, but still - in my opinion, with the talent Bragin had over his 8 years as a head coach he could have delivered better results. In my books a great coach is able to bring a team to the level above everybody's expectations, and I watched too many lost finals where his teams were expected to win. I'm not saying Bragin was a bad coach, I'm just saying he wasn't great.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Based on what exactly? Bragin had his share of very bad games including a few losses to the Czechs in round robin and several eliminations in quarterfinals. Bragin was ok, but not great. Over his career he had 5 WJC finals and won only one (2011 in Buffalo) and in my opinion the Buffalo gold was won by the individual talent and effort, not by superior coaching (As far as I remember his coaching in that game was limited to yelling and breaking a coaching board which probably helped with motivation, but it's not really a technique a great coach should use).
Get your facts straight. You are obviously one of the Bragin haters. He has lost in QF ONCE in his career in 2018 to USA. His reputation is that good exactly for that fact. He might have won it all just once, but except for one odd year his teams always medaled. And those were except for his gold winning team not exactly teams ladden with future superstars. They LACKED individual talent you are talking about. So how could they win on individual talent? You are trying to bend it to your Bragin hate.

And his yelling and breaking boards is EXACTLY what a good motivator knows when and how to use. He is one of the greatest motivators I've ever seen. And that is as much needed for a coach as being a great strategist and tactitian. The championship in Buffalo was won exactly on Bragin's ability to drive the team to success. Motivating and re-motivating them when the need was dire.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You are right - only one loss in quarterfinals ( I forgot that in 2010 the head coach was Pluschev, not Bragin) I stand corrected, but still - in my opinion, with the talent Bragin had over his 8 years as a head coach he could have delivered better results. In my books a great coach is able to bring a team to the level above everybody's expectations, and I watched too many lost finals where his teams were expected to win. I'm not saying Bragin was a bad coach, I'm just saying he wasn't great.
Better results? With those rosters? You are dreaming.

Reactions: snipes

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
Go check the rosters. None of the rosters he had since 2011 had enough depth and star power to win it. Perhaps 2012 was the best in terms of forwards but defense was mediocre and offensively challenged. And look at Sweden roster, so many solid NHLers now.

Reactions: Atas2000

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
5-2 Russia. Stutzle and Peterka with 2 points but Germany won't be able to match Russia's depth.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Does he have to be? I'd prefer a Germany win as well, but it's not because I dislike Russia. A) Germany is an underdog and it's always fun to see underdogs win. B) Germany went through more adversity this tournament than any WJC team in history, and it's nice to see them rewarded for it. C) This is actually the first time they've ever been to even a quarterfinal so imagine how big it would be for Germany to make the semis. Lots of good reasons to have your heart set on Germany.

That would be one boring semi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad