GDT: Quarter Final | Russia Vs Germany | 1/2 @ 10 AM | TSN/NHL

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Not too sure it looks any better than normal. Looks like every 5-6 years they produce a potential allstar with a few relegation years inbetween. It would be nice if they solidified themselves in the top 8.

Let’s wait how many talents actually live up to there potential but our new youth program definitely produces more talent.

I remember a few years ago I celebrated Tom Kühnhackl being drafted in 4th round. So I do feel like there is improvement. Just hoping it will last.

Reactions: Smif

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
raises no concerns. 1 game. He has carried that team all tourney.
The Germans only lost by one goal to Russia. That’s a huge improvement for them, even in this tournament when losing so badly to Canada earlier.

Reactions: Holystik

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
These German's are going to have a say about that going forward...
I'm not so sure, they had a great tournament but what happens without Stutzle? They still have a bunch of countries to jump before they touch the Czech's.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
... you are aware this was the first quarter final of four?
Yes, was asking which winner of the next 3 games do they play? I'm pretty sure there used to be brackets, I've been watching this tournament for decades. Apparently they re-seed after the quarter-finals now. How long have they been doing that?

Reactions: Stive Morgan

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
This is team Germany, not world beaters. They easily could have scored several more goals. Canada could probably score 4 or 5 on this defense.
Yes, and any Bragin's team would be leading 10-0 after the first :) Germany was a solid opponent - they played with heart and deserve respect. Russia controlled the game, didn't make many mistakes, but didn't capitalize on the scoring opportunities it had. On the other hand Russia didn't have any injuries and bad penalties (other than "covering a hand with a puck" one) I expect a much better offence with Abramov and Chinakhov returing for the semi final.

Reactions: ViD

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Let’s wait how many talents actually live up to there potential but our new youth program definitely produces more talent.

I remember a few years ago I celebrated Tom Kühnhackl being drafted in 4th round. So I do feel like there is improvement. Just hoping it will last.
Definitely producing more consistently and I hope it continues, also. They just really need to stay out of the relegation round.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Not too sure it looks any better than normal. Looks like every 5-6 years they produce a potential allstar with a few relegation years inbetween. It would be nice if they solidified themselves in the top 8.
More of a generalization to the players they’ve been turning out lately rather than in relation to the WJC in particular. Seider, Stutzle, Peterka, Reichel are all very good players.

But in regards to the WJC, many of their players that impressed the most are eligible to return next year: Elias, Peterka, Reichel, Glotzl from the top of my head. Hopefully they’ll remain competitive for awhile.

Reactions: Smif

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
raises no concerns. 1 game. He has carried that team all tourney.

Yeah, was playing very good opponents who were defending him with a specical diligence. It is quite usual that top forwards don't score in those crucial games, because the opposing defense is focusing on them an they don't get much room.

Reactions: funky

RandR

May 15, 2011
No problem. Yes, there used to be playoffs brackets, but it has changed recently, I think.

Edit: 2021 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships - Wikipedia
I think it's pretty safe to assume that Canada and USA move on. If Finland wins then we'll have Canada vs Russia and USA vs Finland semis. If Sweden wins, in turn, then we'll have Canada vs Sweden and USA vs Russia.
From the IIHF site for this tournament:

In the semi-finals the best-ranked team - criteria: 1) placement in the group, 2) points in the preliminary round, 3) goal difference in the preliminary round, 4) goals scored in the preliminary round, 5) seeding coming into the tournament - will play against the lowest-ranked semi-finalist. The 2nd-best ranked semi-finalist will play the 3rd-best ranked semi-finalist. The host if qualified, or otherwise the best-ranked semi-finalist according to beforementioned criteria, shall play the early game. The time slots will officially be determined after the quarter-final games.

IIHF - Tournament Info 2021 IIHF WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad