GDT: Quarter Final: Finland Vs United States | 11:30AM EST 5:30PM CET | FIN 1 - 0 USA

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I think in the "Planet USA" underestimate the average finnish player. He is stronger than some Hockey-Fans from "God own country" thought. ;)

Reactions: king89 and wacko2

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
What a great match! I or my "vibes" / gutfeeling was right about this team Finland.

But there is still a long way to go here. And Sweden - no, Canada? - will be a formidable opponent
.. We will see... Enjoy anyway.

Reactions: king89

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Lucky win for the finns. USA would have probably tied the game without that dive in the end from that no-name player
Dive in the end? Jesus grow up. And you now there was like two seconds left right? Hard to score in two seconds...

Reactions: NinjaKick

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
We Finns will continue being underrated by the US. I saw a pregame interview of their coach and he admitted to not knowing who Annunen is. He could be argued to be the best young goalie coming into the tournament by stats and body of work so far into the season, and the head coach doesn't even know him.

Look, here's the thing, this guy is a 3rd rounder prospect and the Finnish league isn't exactly known for its high level so a few good games in a low-level adult league don't suddenly boost a mid-tier prospect to blue-chip level. So it's not that surprising that the USA coach had more important players to focus on

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Look, here's the thing, this guy is a 3rd rounder prospect and the Finnish league isn't exactly known for its high level so a few good games in a low-level adult league don't suddenly boost a mid-tier prospect to blue-chip level. So it's not that surprising that the USA coach had more important players to focus on

This is the attitude why they keep losing to rosters less talented. You of course are a self loathing Finn but these people that you talk about, should probably focus on scouting their opponent. If they don't do that, then they are really bad at this sport.

The european mens leagues are the best leagues that any of these juniors in these games have played in. None of them play in the NHL right now, that's why they are available.

Finnish league is far more competitive than the kids leagues team USA prospects mainly play for at this age. They play among kids. But you know that, this is nothing new.

Reactions: king89

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I played in three different Jr A leagues and NCAA for 4. Is that high enough for you? Not trying to be rude but I would love to hear where you played, ****in hardo
Well then you must know how it feels to even get slightly clipped by an elbow at high speeds?

Really don’t wanna make it a dick measuring contest, but yeah, played for the national team for a few games in the U17 tourney in Canada, the Hlinka and some games for the U20 squad. Career ended through multiple injuries, though would have probs never made it to the biggest pro leagues.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
If I were the USA coach I would have thrown a nutty in the locker room after the first period and benched Beecher for the rest of the game and let them all know why. Stupid penalties the whole tournament, by the whole team, and that one by rights, should have been a 5 minute major. He had no contol of this squad.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This is the attitude why they keep losing to rosters less talented. You of course are a self loathing Finn but these people that you talk about, should probably focus on scouting their opponent. If they don't do that, then they are really bad at this sport.

The european mens leagues are the best leagues that any of these juniors in these games have played in. None of them play in the NHL right now, that's why they are available.

Finnish league is far more competitive than the kids leagues team USA prospects mainly play for at this age. They play among kids. But you know that, this is nothing new.
You're right and wrong at the same time...

Finnish league is far more competitive than the kids leagues team USA prospects mainly play for at this age

TRUE - a men league is more competitive that the US Junior leagues. FTR. the Czech extraliga teams would beat them too.

They play among kids

YUP.. and a lot more 'kids' in the NHL than Finns. It's not even close. Even the NCAA (which has eaten a lot of shit on the board) produces considerably more NHL players than Finland.

I love Finnish hockey but the NHL is the end goal... there are 37 Finns in the NHL not counting goalies. So let's call it 40. There are 221 American's in the NHL (not counting goalies).

What league do you think all these NHLers are coming from?

https://www.quora.com/Do-most-NHL-players-come-from-college-or-junior-hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad