GDT: Quarter Final: Finland Vs United States | 11:30AM EST 5:30PM CET | FIN 1 - 0 USA

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Canada is way more physical and can bully teams in a way the Yanks can’t.

Lafreniere has some Gordie Howe and Ovi to his game in the corners. Don’t **** with him type thing.

Don’t worry, our lads have been scolded and are ready for a Gold rematch with our biggest rival.
I missed the game.. how did Laf look?

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Classic Finland.

Not a complicated recipe either. Add in one pint solid goaltending and mix with desire to compete hard, limit mistakes with good team defensive play, keep it tight and when you get your opportunities take advantage of them.

Lot's of talk on here about player I.Q but in short tournaments like this team I.Q is far more important.

And they have been doing this for quite some time now.

Good game Finland.

Re: the bold, it seems that's the "classic" Suomi recipe for how they've been so successful the last 10 years or so at this tournament. As many others have already said before this game started, if it's a tight, defensive game, most likely Finland wins. If random people posting on this forum can see this, why couldn't the US coaching staff devise a strategy to counter it? Anyway, congrats Suomi! For many years, Finland has been one of my favorite teams at this tournament.

Reactions: Loffer and jj cale

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Re: the bold, it seems that's the "classic" Suomi recipe for how they've been so successful the last 10 years or so at this tournament. As many others have already said before this game started, if it's a tight, defensive game, most likely Finland wins. If random people posting on this forum can see this, why couldn't the US coaching staff devise a strategy to counter it? Anyway, congrats Suomi! For many years, Finland has been one of my favorite teams at this tournament.

I disagree a little... here's what I've been noticing:

Finn's send a superlative ultratalented team and they win
Finn's send a stripped down team missing many top players... and they win

They've won with both high end talent teams and with teams missing their high end talent guys... need to ship some Sisu to Prague!

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Brutal brackets, result of brutal pools. No way should the CZ, Fin, Swe, and USA all be in the same side, while Russia and CAN get easy walks.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Finland was probably hoping for a low scoring game. Plays into their strengths. It goes without saying but if the US could have scored the first goal I think the game would have opened up more and played more to their strengths.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Caufield is one of the most prolific goal scorers in USA junior history. Not to mention he’s one of the best scorers in college as a freshman which is extremely rare. If people are judging players on one tournament good or bad then they’re doing it wrong.

I worry about him in the NHL and taking hits finding space more than his scoring ability but agreed can’t judge him on a single tournament

Montreal is also a bad roster for someone Caufields size to start out with

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Regardless of the actual hit and its ramifications, why are you defending the decision to actively trying to hurt a player when you know the puck is in the other end of the rink and the game is just about over?

Im not defending it. I said in my initial post that it was stupid by Pinto to go after him in the first place. He had bad intentions, I do agree. But he didn't connect.

He got elbowed in the face, what are you even talking about.

I'd say elbowing someone in the face when there's 2 seconds left in the clock makes you a wimp, but hey, that's just me.

He barely touched him, watch the replay.

Just shows to me that you’ve never laced em up, bud! A ”tiny” looking contact from the replay, hurts like a mother****er when hit with a hard elbow to the cheek.

Not trying to be rude, but just shows you never played hockey at any high level of junior or men’s.

I played in three different Jr A leagues and NCAA for 4. Is that high enough for you? Not trying to be rude but I would love to hear where you played, f***in hardo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad