GDT: Quarter Final: Finland Vs United States | 11:30AM EST 5:30PM CET | FIN 1 - 0 USA

Donzis

Jan 2, 2020
Jesse "Monster of Kärpät" Puljujärvi ....? Do you mean Jesse "Can't make the Oilers roster and they suck" Puljujärvi?

Big reason for the US loss today was the undisciplined penalty by Drury. And in the offensive zone? Completely unacceptable, and cost them the game. His mouth should have got him an extra 2 minutes after the penalty was called too.

Finally, as a Habs fan, glad to see that Caufield showed his true colours in the tournament. Maybe we can focus on someone who has the ability to play at the higher level and not disappear when facing bigger, tougher, players.

Reactions: SOLR

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
We're a nation 5,5 million people. It's a short tournament, we're not here to entertain, we're here to win.
Amen. I could give a crap how Canada wins. A win is a win. Sometimes when a team wins 2-0 because the goalie made 50 saves, I find that entertaining. Nobody cares how a team got the win years later. They only remember that the team won!

except Patriots and Falcons. Everyone knows they blew a 25 point lead lol.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Not only can the Finns boast a couple years of adequacy at the u20s after decades of irrelevancy, they also churn out elite talent at the top of the draft like Kaapo "Should've Gone 1st" Kakko, Jesperi "#1C BTW" Kotkaniemi, Patrik "90 Goals" Laine, and Jesse "Monster of Kärpät" Puljujärvi. Move over, Canada!
I'll give you the first three, but Puljujarvi...? Either:
a) he was put in a position to fail at Edmonton (rushed him to the NHL too fast); or
b) didn't have enough time in the NHL to show his skills
Thus far, people will either say he's a failure, or the grade for him is incomplete. And the longer he continues to play in the Finnish league (no offense to that league), the harder it will be to claim that Puljujarvi is an "elite talent".

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
that’s very fair. I’m just arguing against judging and labeling guys after watching them in just one tournament

Ya judging guys from 1 tourney is just lazy and unfair. I'll admit that after 1 tournament it can leave a sour taste in my mouth with players if they are bad, but it's not like it's my final thought on how his career will be lol

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Finally, as a Habs fan, glad to see that Caufield showed his true colours in the tournament. Maybe we can focus on someone who has the ability to play at the higher level and not disappear when facing bigger, tougher, players.

Or maybe not focus too much on a players play in a short tournament. The guy he’s most compared to, Alex Debrincat, actually produced less in his lone WJHC appearance. Seems to do pretty well against the bigger and tougher nhl players.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Wahlstrom really has bad memories for Finland
Hopefully he won't pay those back in men's world championships sometimes in the future.

As Panthers fan i feel sorry for Spencer Knight he's great young goalie.
Hopefully Barkov won't totally embarrass him in Panthers game warm-ups or pre game practices.

Thanks to USA for tough and exciting game.
See you again next year.

Reactions: Czechboy

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Finland was probably hoping for a low scoring game. Plays into their strengths. It goes without saying but if the US could have scored the first goal I think the game would have opened up more and played more to their strengths.
What was shocking to me is that the US didn't get energized killing off the Finland 4 minute power play. I thought once the US had that successful kill, they would finally be able to settle down and play their game. But like many people here said, this US group was a bunch of individuals, not a real "team".

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Let's play grinders with Zegras at the end of the game when you have a guy like kaliyev on the bench. Frustrating as hell. The US coach is an idiot.

I don't know does this get you feel any better.
But our coach was also total idiot in preliminary round games.

Now he looks like a genius.
Great gameplan by coach Helminen for this game indeed.
Where the hell this Team Finland was first 7 days.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Yes...Brink earned his playing time that he got...and should have gotten more. Cole was not noticeable at all this tourney.

Hell...today the only time I noticed Cole was when he and Wahlstrom played catch on the PP late in the game passing back and forth 5-7 times.

Don't get me wrong, players usage and icetime was a farce. But you also need to try and do something with the icetime you do get to get more. Cole didn't do that.....as a comparison,look at Zegra despite his low icetime in games.

Who did Zegras play with?

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
he looked horrible this game. Made a few boneheaded mistakes. Especially late when he glided towards the puck thinking it was an icing with an empty net on the PP.

that being said, overall I think he looked good for the tournament.

He was 1 of the few players on USA that I thought had a really good tourney

Basically a more skilled Gallagher or Marchand-lite
Has that great unique combo, can't wait til he's in blue and white

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Basically a more skilled Gallagher or Marchand-lite
Has that great unique combo, can't wait til he's in blue and white

More skilled than a consistent 30+ goal scorer and elite chance generator? Wow must be a top 5 prospect in the league

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Brutal brackets, result of brutal pools. No way should the CZ, Fin, Swe, and USA all be in the same side, while Russia and CAN get easy walks.

It’s almost as if the US was the only team to get a tough pairing and you’re salty about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad