GDT: Quarter Final: Finland Vs United States | 11:30AM EST 5:30PM CET | FIN 1 - 0 USA

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
Not only can the Finns boast a couple years of adequacy at the u20s after decades of irrelevancy, they also churn out elite talent at the top of the draft like Kaapo "Should've Gone 1st" Kakko, Jesperi "#1C BTW" Kotkaniemi, Patrik "90 Goals" Laine, and Jesse "Monster of Kärpät" Puljujärvi. Move over, Canada!
I guess (ppg)Laine, Teräväinen, Aho, Barkov and Heiskanen didn't help to get your point across

Reactions: THE JAM

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Wow, didn't think they would pull it off. My heart just had its toughest minutes this year after Saarela took the slashing penalty. (Weakish one, IMO, but according to rules, it was warranted.)

I hope Wahlstrom takes a breather after this tournament and thinks about things a bit. If he continues to play with that attitude, it will get him in trouble. He's young, it's not too late for him to change.

I missed most of 1st and 3rd periods; was USA just mediocre and played bad as a team or did Finland play that well? At least during the 2nd I think Finland was struggling quite a bit.

Reactions: behemolari

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Don't be so insecure. Everyone follows their team's prospects on this board during the tournament. Assuming you are a Habs fan; don't you wish Caufield wasn't so terrible?
As terrible as Robertson was this past game? No
Anyway, he did not have a great tournament, most players on the US stunk it up.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Wow, didn't think they would pull it off. My heart just had its toughest minutes this year after Saarela took the slashing penalty. (Weakish one, IMO, but according to rules, it was warranted.)

I hope Wahlstrom takes a breather after this tournament and thinks about things a bit. If he continues to play with that attitude, it will get him in trouble. He's young, it's not too late for him to change.

I missed most of 1st and 3rd periods; was USA just mediocre and played bad as a team or did Finland play that well? At least during the 2nd I think Finland was struggling quite a bit.

The 3rd was all Finland. 1st period was pretty good from the Finns too.

The difference was gap control and zone exits. Finland was quite impressive re: both.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Totally predictable. USA always has one of the more skilled rosters but they always play terribly as a team. And the coaches always make baffling decisions.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Is that because he actually had playing time?
Yes...Brink earned his playing time that he got...and should have gotten more. Cole was not noticeable at all this tourney.

Hell...today the only time I noticed Cole was when he and Wahlstrom played catch on the PP late in the game passing back and forth 5-7 times.

Don't get me wrong, players usage and icetime was a farce. But you also need to try and do something with the icetime you do get to get more. Cole didn't do that.....as a comparison,look at Zegra despite his low icetime in games.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Wouldn’t be surprised if Finland takes Canada out in similar style

Canada is way more physical and can bully teams in a way the Yanks can’t.

Lafreniere has some Gordie Howe and Ovi to his game in the corners. Don’t **** with him type thing.

Don’t worry, our lads have been scolded and are ready for a Gold rematch with our biggest rival.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Canada is way more physical and can bully teams in a way the Yanks can’t.

Lafreniere has some Gordie Howe and Ovi to his game in the corners. Don’t **** with him type thing.

Don’t worry, our lads have been scolded and are ready for a Gold rematch with our biggest rival.
If some team can crush Canada's gold dreams, I think it's Finland. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad