Quarantine Canteen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Quality of cut, or cooked properly? If it's the first, find a better place to get a steak. If it's the second, what typically happens is cooks either don't allow for resting, or the steak sits in the heat window while the other plates for the order are being finished. If I want your medium rare steak to reach you at exactly 120 degrees, I need to pull it off the grill at about 112 and allow the steak to finish cooking itself with the heat it is retaining. A lot of the people I've worked with don't seem to get this, and will cook the steak to 120, then wonder why it gets sent back as overcooked.

edit: To add to "why is it hard to get a good steak", another factor is that unless a restaurant is willing to eat a loss, it's tough to offer quality cuts at a price that won't make most customers balk. It's important to realise that for a restaurant to clear a 5-8% profit margin, they need to sell the food for a roughly 400% markup. Most restaurants do not achieve a 5-8% profit margin these days.

Is that temperature the same for burgers?

Reactions: oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
@StupidGenius

You're a part-time superhero eh?

tenor.gif

Another question if I may:

Which restaurants do you recommend, or which ones would you spend your money at?

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
@StupidGenius
Another question if I may:

Which restaurants do you recommend, or which ones would you spend your money at?

If you're looking for value, target independently owned, long-running places such as Route 99, or Kosmos in Leduc. You'll find a more consistent experience and better value than you would with a major chain like Moxie's, as they don't tend to try and reinvent the wheel and nickle and dime every penny of profit they can. A "mom-and-pop" sort of place might have to raise their prices once in a while, bu they won't roll it out at the same time they do a portion decrease, while ordering esoteric ingredients that can only be used for a single menu item they recently added to 'stay trendy'.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If you're looking for value, target independently owned, long-running places such as Route 99, or Kosmos in Leduc. You'll find a more consistent experience and better value than you would with a major chain like Moxie's, as they don't tend to try and reinvent the wheel and nickle and dime every penny of profit they can. A "mom-and-pop" sort of place might have to raise their prices once in a while, bu they won't roll it out at the same time they do a portion decrease, while ordering esoteric ingredients that can only be used for a single menu item they recently added to 'stay trendy'.

I'll have to try Route 99, it isn't that far from where I live so I'll give it a go ... after all this COVID stuff is over.

What about in terms of quality? The kind of places where you would prefer to spend half your pay check for a special occasion.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I'll have to try Route 99, it isn't that far from where I live so I'll give it a go ... after all this COVID stuff is over.

What about in terms of quality? The kind of places where you would prefer to spend half your pay check for a special occasion.

I don't frequent many of the higher end places in town, but we do go to Moose Factory on New Year's and they are consistently excellent. I worked for Pampa for their first year and a half, and felt that for the $50, you'd be hard pressed to find a better quality/quantity ratio in town, but that was almost a decade ago and I can't imagine rapid, agressive expansion paired with the skyrocketing price of meat wouldn't have taken a toll on their quality. A place like The Keg is like watching the Oilers beat the Flames 2-1 while playing like ass; you were excited at the prospect, you are satisfied with the result, but you're left wondering if perhaps things should have gone better anyways. The Harvest Room at the Hotel Mac is probably the only other 'high-end' place in town I have any experience with, but they're great if you want to have a salad you can't pronounce and feel pampered.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

For your date with Melissa?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't frequent many of the higher end places in town, but we do go to Moose Factory on New Year's and they are consistently excellent. I worked for Pampa for their first year and a half, and felt that for the $50, you'd be hard pressed to find a better quality/quantity ratio in town, but that was almost a decade ago and I can't imagine rapid, agressive expansion paired with the skyrocketing price of meat wouldn't have taken a toll on their quality. A place like The Keg is like watching the Oilers beat the Flames 2-1 while playing like ass; you were excited at the prospect, you are satisfied with the result, but you're left wondering if perhaps things should have gone better anyways. The Harvest Room at the Hotel Mac is probably the only other 'high-end' place in town I have any experience with, but they're great if you want to have a salad you can't pronounce and feel pampered.

Holy crap, this post is like you read my mind, lol.

I agree with everything. Great analogy with the Keg, btw.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Fairly inconsequential, but it depends on what type of beans. Smaller, softer beans like navy beans can be heated on a higher flame, whereas a hardier bean like kidney or garbanzo do better on a slower heat. If your beans are in a tomato sauce, a medium heat will cook and soften the beans without scorching the sauce.

Damn. Thats a great reply! Thanks!!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Are these exactly like Cadbury mini-eggs? Because there are some knock offs that don't taste very good at all. I'd love to find a massive bag like this for a decent price in Edmonton!

Not sure. I just tried to find a picture of the biggest bag of mini eggs I could find haha.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I've been trying to spend my money at the few mom and pop places in town while they're still doing take-out.

I figure you can't go wrong helping them out right now while also saving the food I've got at home for in case I do end up with the virus and need to completely quarantine.

Had a burger the other night, curry and rice last night and pizza tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad