Quarantine Canteen

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Is it the same as in the US? IMO it's way better than Pizza Hut, Round Table Pizza and a bit better than Papa Johns (albeit I've only had there once when on Oahu for a trip)
I don’t disagree it’s better than those. Still some pretty mediocre pie at best but when you’ve got coupons it’s worth it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don’t disagree it’s better than those. Still some pretty mediocre pie at best but when you’ve got coupons it’s worth it.

IMO it's decent when they load up on the sauce, however that's far less often than them not in spite of me paying for it. One of these days I'll be giving them a piece of my mind, but don't f*ck with people that handle your food in times like these.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
What is a tornado? Nice to see you get a break!

It's a taquito type thing. You see them on the rollers next to the hot dogs at 7elevens. Some flying J places deep fry them to cook them and they are so good then. I can't have too many of them though. If I do I have to make sure im parked close to somewhere that gives me immediate access to modern day plumbing.

Thanks for the support! I really appreciate the comment. I'm getting major beef cravings so that BBQ is getting used every day I'm home.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's a taquito type thing. You see them on the rollers next to the hot dogs at 7elevens. Some flying J places deep fry them to cook them and they are so good then. I can't have too many of them though. If I do I have to make sure im parked close to somewhere that gives me immediate access to modern day plumbing.

Thanks for the support! I really appreciate the comment. I'm getting major beef cravings so that BBQ is getting used every day I'm home.

Ah ok. It’s like a Flying J or 7-11 enema then lol.

You guys driving the trucks are a big part of keeping us bastards rotting at home from starving to death. Working non stop among this insanity cant be easy. My hats off to you and to anyone else working out there right now.

PS enjoy the bbq and have a few beers too!

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Anyone know of any good cocktail sauce recipes? Breaded shrimp with really good cocktail sauce is hard to beat.

Ketchup
Horseradish
Lemon Juice
Dash(es) of Tabasco

D0B6E552-C218-4BEF-A1F8-72E79D6060F0.gif

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
On the subject of pizza, I don't mind Dominos. Half price Mondays there are always great, plus there's one maybe three blocks from my house. I can order online, slip into the garage to have a smoke and it will be ready by the time I get there. Plus, it's always a good option if you're constipated. Nothing cleans out my guts like the next morning after a pie from there.

BP is still my personal favorite, although it's way overpriced. I almost always grab a side of pizza bread with meat sauce/ bolognaise. It makes an excellent dipping sauce for the pizza. I won't buy Pizza Hut ever again, and Papa Johns, to me, was tasteless. We've done the take and bake approach from Papa Murphys a couple times. There's a local shop here that goes nuts on the toppings, their meat lovers is insane, like nearly 3/4 of an inch of meat. But again, they throw in a free pizza with every one you order, but charge you thirty bucks for what ends up to be two mediums.

My favorite pizza ever was a joint in Antigua called Perry's Island Pizza. Fantastic crust, sauce and generous toppings. But sadly, they closed down a few years ago. There's another spot in downtown St.Johns called the Big Banana, and their pizza is also fantastic. We'll eat a regular meal (best chicken breasts I've ever eaten, just pure heaven) there and order a pizza to go, but on the forty minute ride back to where we stay the bottom of the box tends to get a bit wet.

Tonight for supper I grilled up four large t-bone steaks, no bbq sauce, just salt, pepper and Montreal steak spice, then in the last few minutes I melted and smeared some butter on them. Complimented with the Sawmills sesame steak sauce for dipping, they were excellent. My wife hates the little round potatoes I buy and cook, so for supper she spiced them up with paprika, cayenne, and a bunch of other spices. Of course she got lazy and mixed them with two spoons as opposed to getting her hands in the bowl, and some were bland and others made you nearly choke. I'll use that recipe again, a few were just right and quite awesome. We added some green beans in butter and MSS, fresh corn on the cob and garlic bread cooked on the grill. I'm going to make nearly the exact same supper for both my moms on Mothers Day, but we'll swap out the T-Bones for some beef tenderloin and scrap the potatoes in favor of some bacon fried rice.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
On the subject of pizza, I don't mind Dominos. Half price Mondays there are always great, plus there's one maybe three blocks from my house. I can order online, slip into the garage to have a smoke and it will be ready by the time I get there. Plus, it's always a good option if you're constipated. Nothing cleans out my guts like the next morning after a pie from there.

BP is still my personal favorite, although it's way overpriced. I almost always grab a side of pizza bread with meat sauce/ bolognaise. It makes an excellent dipping sauce for the pizza. I won't buy Pizza Hut ever again, and Papa Johns, to me, was tasteless. We've done the take and bake approach from Papa Murphys a couple times. There's a local shop here that goes nuts on the toppings, their meat lovers is insane, like nearly 3/4 of an inch of meat. But again, they throw in a free pizza with every one you order, but charge you thirty bucks for what ends up to be two mediums.

My favorite pizza ever was a joint in Antigua called Perry's Island Pizza. Fantastic crust, sauce and generous toppings. But sadly, they closed down a few years ago. There's another spot in downtown St.Johns called the Big Banana, and their pizza is also fantastic. We'll eat a regular meal (best chicken breasts I've ever eaten, just pure heaven) there and order a pizza to go, but on the forty minute ride back to where we stay the bottom of the box tends to get a bit wet.

Tonight for supper I grilled up four large t-bone steaks, no bbq sauce, just salt, pepper and Montreal steak spice, then in the last few minutes I melted and smeared some butter on them. Complimented with the Sawmills sesame steak sauce for dipping, they were excellent. My wife hates the little round potatoes I buy and cook, so for supper she spiced them up with paprika, cayenne, and a bunch of other spices. Of course she got lazy and mixed them with two spoons as opposed to getting her hands in the bowl, and some were bland and others made you nearly choke. I'll use that recipe again, a few were just right and quite awesome. We added some green beans in butter and MSS, fresh corn on the cob and garlic bread cooked on the grill. I'm going to make nearly the exact same supper for both my moms on Mothers Day, but we'll swap out the T-Bones for some beef tenderloin and scrap the potatoes in favor of some bacon fried rice.

Damn that all sounds great!

Reactions: oilers'72

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I just looked up some Fajita recipe's last night. Was this store bought or hand made seasoning? Looking good!

Homemade with this recipe. Adjustments in brackets.

Fajita Seasoning Recipe
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder (1Tablespoonvoo)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (3/4 tsp Kosher - regular salt is iodized. Doesn't taste as good IMO)
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (1/2tsp)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
I preslice the chicken when it's cold, fry in a tbsp(or so) of oil on high heat, remove, throw in sliced (lengthwise) 1 Onion, 2 Bell Peppers, and 2 Jalapenos (seeded). Saute for about 1 minute, move veggies to sides, put pre fried chicken in middle of pan, dump the seasoning on the chicken, stir it up, and add about 1/4 cup or so of water. All on high or medium high heat. Depending on stove. Ours is gas.

Store bought tortilla(s) - I usually individually baste on a plate with hot water so just damp on 1 side and nuke for 10 - 15 secs on 1 less than high, flip the tortilla and load er up with grated cheddar and fajita mix. Roll er up like a J and your good to go.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Had a buddy over tonight who's a regular for cards with us. Easy to isolate when you have a tight group of friends. We all needed the laughs and the thick delicious Costco Tenderloin slabs of bountiful beef cooked to medium rare, no BBQ sauce or salt or pepper tonight. Cheaped out with packaged Caesar salad and tinfoil garlic bread. Miller light and Kokanee. Nice Kosher Kush Indica and Mimosa Sativa mixed J. ;)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Had a buddy over tonight who's a regular for cards with us. Easy to isolate when you have a tight group of friends. We all needed the laughs and the thick delicious Costco Tenderloin slabs of bountiful beef cooked to medium rare, no BBQ sauce or salt or pepper tonight. Cheaped out with packaged Caesar salad and tinfoil garlic bread. Miller light and Kokanee. Nice Kosher Kush Indica and Mimosa Sativa mixed J. ;)

Sounds like a good time was had by all!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
For anyone that has been to Maui and had Azeka's ribs, the grandson of the man that made them is now selling their sauce out of Arizona. If this is the real deal, this stuff is awesome for flanken style short ribs on the bbq especially on kiawe wood. Shop - Azeka's Sauce

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
My ultra-picky 10 year old loves KFC chicken strips. I found a recipe which was supposed to taste similar to them and made them for the family last night. He took one bite and said "These taste just like KFC!".

He ate four of them (he likes to dip them in Bulls Eye Bold Original BBQ) which were also about 1.5 times the size you get from KFC.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing my picky eater wolf something down that is home made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad