World Cup: QF: Sweden vs. England, 7/7/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Sterling is just unfortunate. He's working so hard and they just can't cope with his pace, he's frightening them to death. It's just not happening for him in front of goal, but he can't let his head drop

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Sterling needed to pass that last one after that touch that wasn't as kind as he'd have liked. did get a corner but England ran out of time. Still a nice half for them. Hopefully they'll continue with the pressure in the second.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Sterling continues his bid for the post-defeat scapegoat role.

At least his pace will make it harder for Sweden to feel confident about committing more men to the attack in search of an equaliser.

Seeing the corner again, Sweden simply weren't concentrating on their marking.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Competition? It's one thing to compete against some small countries where hockey is a big sport and a bunch of others where it's the 4th or 5th biggest sport and a totally different matter to be a small country competing vs 100+ nations where football is by far the biggest sport.
Does Canada have a proper youth program where the kids get the challenge and support they need on a grass roots level? If not, that is what they need first and foremost.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I remember a match from last season where he missed 6 obvious scoring chances, 6!, in a row.
One was like less than 5 feet from the goal line.
Scored a hat trick in that match though...go figure. Sterling just is
(or was it 2 goals what he scored)

He had had about 3-4 straight matches before that ,where he missed almost 5 scoring chances a match.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Does Canada have a proper youth program where the kids get the challenge and support they need on a grtass roots level? If not, that is what they need first and foremost.

We don’t have enough qualified coaches.

Basically it’s a participation sport here.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Why can't Canada produce any players capable of playing top tier soccer when more kids play soccer than hockey in Canada? It's not just about popularity and number of people playing, it's about how you develop those kids.
Because they teach youth 'when in doubt kick it out'.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
When Sterling was at Liverpool I thought he would figure the finishing stuff out eventually, but I'm not so sure anymore.. Now he gonna go out and score 3 in the second half just because I said this

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Competition? It's one thing to compete against some small countries where hockey is a big sport and a bunch of others where it's the 4th or 5th biggest sport and a totally different matter to be a small country competing vs 100+ nations where football is by far the biggest sport.

True but I dont think competition from outside is the underlying reason why a nation doesnt manage to develop a serious elite talent. It's just a thought I've had going through my head recently. Im not putting anyone down btw, just so you know. Sweden has had a couple great players in the past, and they are getting quite far this year with good team play. Good on them.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Differences....first we prefer Hockey. Secondly we let the kiddos play soccer for a bit before we put them in Hockey. Its always been that way. Some parents are worried their kids will get hurt playing Hockey.
You asked why those other countries don't produce more top players. It's all about development and has little to do with how many people watch it on TV. People "letting kids play soccer before they play hockey" makes no sense when more kids play soccer. Hockey is very expensive to play and soccer is cheap, but hockey in Canada has an extensive development system that kids can move up and improve through, while soccer doesn't.
I'd say a lot of the Canadian soccer players play more casually as well. Most of those registered are likely in house league and not looking at taking their talents further
The problem is there isn't the development infrastructure in Canada to even develop high quality players like there is in other countries. We do it well for hockey, but despite soccer having more registered players there is little chance anyone good comes out of the Canadian soccer system. If you're in Canada and talented at a young age, your best chance is to go to somewhere in Europe as soon as you can.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Besides the fact that we are a small nation population wise I think climate has a big part in it. During winter months they have to compete with lots of other sports for indoor fields etc. Plus if I'm not mistaken there is more money in Swedish hockey compared to Swedish soccer which means teams can put more money in youth development in hockey

Reactions: JJ68

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
On the bright side, getting coaches is an easy fix. Iceland did it.
Iceland is a great model that Canada can follow, and they have a fraction of the population to draw from. They made a big commitment to developing quality soccer players, Canada just scratches its head and wonders why the national team is so bad.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Is Southgate just playing Sterling in the middle to prove a point? This is beyond ridiculous, it'd be like using Johnny Gaudreau as a centre, put Vardy in ffs.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Word of warning for England fans, we Finns know all too well what happens if you don't use your scoring chances against Sweden (in hockey). If they can't increase their lead, Swedes will score the (probably lucky) equalizer.

Reactions: robertmac43

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Iceland is a great model that Canada can follow, and they have a fraction of the population to draw from. They made a big commitment to developing quality soccer players, Canada just scratches its head and wonders why the national team is so bad.
Indeed. And as said, it's not that hard to fix. Get a couple of guys and let them get the A-license, get a couple of development centers and you are good to go and look how it pays off about a decade later.

Reactions: Blender

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

They have one UEFA certified coach for every 500-600 players.

In England, it’s one for every 20,000 players.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Whilst they aren't playing top quality football, there's a genuine efficiency to England's game.

They seem less likely to run out of steam after the break. But that's only in theory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad