Proposal: Q. Hughes to NJ

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Right, because Canuck fans should be overly excited at that package they will definitely get for Quinn Hughes. These are just proposals man and teams fans are allowed to want to keep their own player that their team drafted.

"These are just proposals man" blah blah blah. Let me tell you something, "DUDE". This was a shit proposal to begin with and ignorant Nucks fans are trying to make it even worse. Q Hughes is nothing special. He might be a good player some day, might be a valuable piece even as early as next season. But he isn't worth Smith, 2020 unprotected NJD 1st and McLeod. That's just nonsense. Similar to when Rags fans told me years ago that Skjei's value STARTS with a top-5 pick and an A-level prospect. Just a bunch of freaking morons thinking too highly of their precious "future franchise players". Quinn Hughes is not Erik Karlsson.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
If Ty Smith is as good as Hughes and projected to have the same upside, the Canucks would have drafted him instead.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
As a Nucks fan I would prefer to keep Hughes - he's exactly what we need and we are lucky he dropped to us.

That pick next year could be not great - Devils were in the playoffs last year if you recall. I can also totally understand Devils not wanting to do this, it's risky and the payoff I don't really think is worth it - they aren't twins!!!

Pass from both.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Lol bad for vancouver. You can keep TY.
Quinn is showing he is the real deal. A puck moving dman that has 1D potential the canucks havent had in years. Yeah he aint going nowhere even if you offer someone else like hischier.

Hischier gonna be a RNH tier player while quinn will be an elite 1D that can quarterback pps.

Means nothing in NJ that can pry quinn away from canucks. Better and easier to just send jack hughes to canucks
That's a whole lotta crystal balling.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I wouldn't do this from Vancouver's POV, because I value quality over quantity. But with that being said, some people in here are really overrating Hughes. Both Hughes and Smith had really good draft+1 years, so that deal is basically the #7 pick for the #17 pick, another 1st from a few years ago and a 1st for next year. That's a gross overpayment from the Devils.
You’re over simplifying things. Doesn’t matter where the player is selected once selections have been made. That’s like saying trading Pettersson for brannstrom is basically trading the #5 for the#15 pick. Ottawa adding another 1st to that and a 1st round selected player that’s heading towards being a bust is a gross over payment. That would be a false statement.

While the op offer is a reasonable offer, a reasonable offer doesn’t get you a top prospect that’s already looking to be the best dman the team currently has. Not to mention Quinn could end up being the best dman the of all time for the Canucks. His competition is Mattias ohlund whom was a great dman but it shows the Canucks have never had great ones on the backend

Canucks777

Jun 17, 2018
Even if the package ended up being better in the long run, there's no way th Canucks would do this as they want to win next season and I feel this would be a step back as far as the development of Hughes and Smith. I don't know if smith is ready to play next year but we know Hughes will be essential on the power play. The unprotected pick is nice but there's a chance that NJ could jump back into the playoffs next year. Not interested in McLeod.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You’re over simplifying things. Doesn’t matter where the player is selected once selections have been made. That’s like saying trading Pettersson for brannstrom is basically trading the #5 for the#15 pick. Ottawa adding another 1st to that and a 1st round selected player that’s heading towards being a bust is not a gross over payment

The fact that you're equating Hughes and Pettersson is downright comical. I don't know if you meant it that way or what, but that's a ridiculous comparison for really obvious reasons. If we're talking about 2 players who have done nothing in the NHL so far, why are you bringing up someone who will probably win the Calder this year and comparing him to a guy with 2 NHL games?

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Ty Smith is nowhere near where Quinn Hughes is, not even close. Smith is a very good prospect in his own right, but QH is one of the top 5 drafted prospects in the league. Both put up similar numbers, one in Junior, one in the NCAA, big difference.

Mcleod is a good B to B+ level prospect. Still has a ways to go, but should be an NHLer for sure.

2020 pick is possibly the best piece, but a huge gamble. If you add both Hughes brothers and a healthy Taylor Hall to the Devils, they should at least be competing for a wild card.

I think the OP did a very good job with this proposal, and it is very fair value. Nice work.

As a Canucks fan, i am just too excited about what QH brings to deal him. The biggest question with QH was whether the size and speed of the NHL would overwhelm him. Small sample size, but I think he answered those questions in his 5 games. I think he has elite potential. We have never had a player with his skill set and potential. Ever.

This is a great package, one that very well could be far better than Hughes, but there are still too many question marks as it is based soley on potential. The WHL is a long way from the NHL. Success there does not ensure Smith will be a top 4 D. Mcleod has certainly not exceeded his draft slot, if anything he has dropped. He could still be a bust. The Devils should be a much more competitive team next year. The pick could very well be out of the lottery.

Best case this package ends up being a top pairing D, middle 6 forward and lottery pick. Worst case you get a servicable D, fringe NHL and mid 1st pick. That is too big a gamble for the Canucks to give up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ty Smith is nowhere near where Quinn Hughes is, not even close. Smith is a very good prospect in his own right, but QH is one of the top 5 drafted prospects in the league. Both put up similar numbers, one in Junior, one in the NCAA, big difference.

God damn Hughes is overrated on here. They were separated by 10 picks last year and both had excellent draft+1 seasons, do you really think one being in the Big-10 and one being in the WHL means one is "one of the top-5 drafted prospects in the league" and the other is "a very good prospect"? That's just pure homerism.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
The fact that you're equating Hughes and Pettersson is downright comical. I don't know if you meant it that way or what, but that's a ridiculous comparison for really obvious reasons. If we're talking about 2 players who have done nothing in the NHL so far, why are you bringing up someone who will probably win the Calder this year and comparing him to a guy with 2 NHL games?
It’s to make a point. Pettersson was drafted 1 yr prior to Quinn. Obviously now it looks even worse but before the begining of this season if you asked canuck fans if we’d trade pete after his d+1 for brannstrom + otts 2019 1st + a bust we’d say no. This is this years equivalent

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It’s to make a point. Pettersson was drafted 1 yr prior to Quinn. Obviously now it looks even worse but before the begining of this season if you asked canuck fans if we’d trade pete after his d+1 for brannstrom + otts 2019 1st + a bust we’d say no. This is this years equivalent

It's a crap point to make because it's a ridiculous comparison. Hughes has done nothing to even sniff what Pettersson was at after his draft+1 season. Hughes had a slightly better draft+1 season than his draft-1 season in the same league. Pettersson set records in the SHL after not even playing in the SHL in his draft-1 year.

An actual comparable for this would be trading Brannstrom, Ottawa's 2019 1st and another prospect for Makar, not Pettersson. Or another example would be Bean, Carolina's 2018 1st and another prospect for Juolevi in 2017.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Vancouver fans over-rating their players I'm not disappointed either. You think you can get Hischier for a guy who's never played in the league hahaha.

A: Quinn Hughes has played in the league.
B: How is that different than NJ fans thinking Hughes is worth Pettersson?

Ty Smith will prove himself to be better than Quinn Hughes next season. Best player in WHL last season.

Will he now? Based off what? Also LOL he wasn't even the best defenseman in the WHL. Not sure how much exposure an NJ fan gets to the WHL, but we see a lot of it on the west coast. Smith is very good, he's not even close to the best player in the W this season.

"These are just proposals man" blah blah blah. Let me tell you something, "DUDE". This was a **** proposal to begin with and ignorant Nucks fans are trying to make it even worse. Q Hughes is nothing special. He might be a good player some day, might be a valuable piece even as early as next season. But he isn't worth Smith, 2020 unprotected NJD 1st and McLeod. That's just nonsense. Similar to when Rags fans told me years ago that Skjei's value STARTS with a top-5 pick and an A-level prospect. Just a bunch of freaking morons thinking too highly of their precious "future franchise players". Quinn Hughes is not Erik Karlsson.

Nothing special? Really? He's something very, very special and yes he might be a good player some day, that day however is today. Same crap we heard with Pettersson Boeser too. I remember about a week before the season some Leafs fan said Petey's some prospect who may or may not make the NHL.

Canucks777

Jun 17, 2018
When I say this it applies to all fanbases: A fan of one team cannot understand what a certain player means to another organization.
Canucks fans and management have been extremely excited about Hughes and getting back a bunch of lesser pieces (Smith is great, almost as great as Hughes) would make the Canucks fanbases start another riot. Let's stop with these proposals. Not a chance in hell the Q or J Hughes will be traded.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
VAN gladly takes this package.

SMith + McLeod is enough, but the unprotected 1st is an overpayment.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
"These are just proposals man" blah blah blah. Let me tell you something, "DUDE". This was a **** proposal to begin with and ignorant Nucks fans are trying to make it even worse. Q Hughes is nothing special. He might be a good player some day, might be a valuable piece even as early as next season. But he isn't worth Smith, 2020 unprotected NJD 1st and McLeod. That's just nonsense. Similar to when Rags fans told me years ago that Skjei's value STARTS with a top-5 pick and an A-level prospect. Just a bunch of freaking morons thinking too highly of their precious "future franchise players". Quinn Hughes is not Erik Karlsson.
Take a chill pill man, I can guarantee you none of this will affect you personally.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Will he now? Based off what? Also LOL he wasn't even the best defenseman in the WHL. Not sure how much exposure an NJ fan gets to the WHL, but we see a lot of it on the west coast. Smith is very good, he's not even close to the best player in the W this season.
Explain to everyone, why you think "Smith is not even close to the best player in the W this season", when he has been nominated for WHL best defenseman, and he has been already awarded best defenseman in Western Conference.

He may win best defenseman or he may not win, but to be a top 3 finalist, shows he must either the best or very close to the best.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
It's a crap point to make because it's a ridiculous comparison. Hughes has done nothing to even sniff what Pettersson was at after his draft+1 season. Hughes had a slightly better draft+1 season than his draft-1 season in the same league. Pettersson set records in the SHL after not even playing in the SHL in his draft-1 year.

An actual comparable for this would be trading Brannstrom, Ottawa's 2019 1st and another prospect for Makar, not Pettersson. Or another example would be Bean, Carolina's 2018 1st and another prospect for Juolevi in 2017.
Okay so why do nj fans say to get jack hughes Canucks have to give up Pettersson and some say Pettersson +? Jack Hughes has barely improved from d-1 to d year while pettersson is potentially a roty and looks to be a top 15 nhl player soon

Would you trade #1 for the #10 + Canucks 2020 1st + a recent top 5 pick in juolevi? Probably not. It’s easy to spin it when it works in your favour.

Since your arguements against those are it’s a #1 selection or yet to be drafted players let’s use the comparable offer if the team 10 spots down from smith were to make their offer. Would you trade ty smith for Nicolas beaudin + Chicago’s 2020 1st + Perlini?

Last edited:

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
God damn Hughes is overrated on here. They were separated by 10 picks last year and both had excellent draft+1 seasons, do you really think one being in the Big-10 and one being in the WHL means one is "one of the top-5 drafted prospects in the league" and the other is "a very good prospect"? That's just pure homerism.
How many games have you watched of either Q. Hughes or Ty Smith? Lots of criticism, so out of curiosity what have you seen in their games that lead you to this conclusion? I have seasons tickets to the WHL Giants but I still haven't seen much of Smith - between WJC and league play maybe 10-12 games. Hughes a few more WJC, WC, College and NHL. But I question how many of the people spewing venom have first hand knowledge, and if they do I am very interested in what they see and evaluate talent.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017

Not Really Homerism at all
1) Do you not think Hughes is a top 5 drafted prospect? Most people who evaluate NHL talent for a living do.
2) 10 spots in the first round is a pretty big gap. 3 other D were taken in that gap.
3) Yes, excelling in the NCAA against kids 3-4 years older does hold more weight than excelling in junior.

Smith is an excellent prospect, I'm not knocking him one bit. I just feel QH is on another tier. I don't think that is an unreasonable stance. I also said that this deal is more than fair for QH. Not sure what your issue is.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Okay so why do nj fans say to get jack hughes Canucks have to give up Pettersson and some say Pettersson +? Jack Hughes has barely improved from d-1 to d year while pettersson is potentially a roty and looks to be a top 15 nhl player soon

I think New Jersey fans are being ridiculous with that ask. New Jersey fans being ridiculous with that isn't a justification to be ridiculous the other way.

As a nj fan would you trade ty smith for Nicolas beaudin + Chicago’s 2020 1st + Perlini?

I'm not a NJ fan. I'll give the same exact reply as I gave for the OP: Devils fans should want to keep the upside of Smith, but that's a gross overpayment by Chicago.

How many games have you watched of either Q. Hughes or Ty Smith? Lots of criticism, so out of curiosity what have you seen in their games that lead you to this conclusion? I have seasons tickets to the WHL Giants but I still haven't seen much of Smith - between WJC and league play maybe 10-12 games. Hughes a few more WJC, WC, College and NHL. But I question how many of the people spewing venom have first hand knowledge, and if they do I am very interested in what they see and evaluate talent.

Watching them play and having an in depth knowledge of their on ice play isn't a requirement to judge trade proposals on here.

Not Really Homerism at all
1) Do you not think Hughes is a top 5 drafted prospect? Most people who evaluate NHL talent for a living do.

Oh yeah, he's a top-5 drafted prospect despite not even being a top-5 pick in his own draft class. Yeah, "most people who evaluate NHL talent", except for the people actually doing the drafting.

2) 10 spots in the first round is a pretty big gap. 3 other D were taken in that gap.

And it's the same way with Boqvist, Dobson and Bouchard as it is with Smith. Hughes may be above them, but it's ridiculous to pretend that 1 year where none of them were in the NHL somehow makes Hughes dramatically higher than the rest of them.

3) Yes, excelling in the NCAA against kids 3-4 years older does hold more weight than excelling in junior.

Hughes was marginally better in his draft+1 season compared to his draft-1 season. A slight improvement in all parties from where they were a year ago doesn't take one to a "top-5 drafted prospect" when he wasn't even a top-5 pick in his draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad