Putting It All Together-What does Jarmo do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Howson did bring in most of the team we are currently watching but he also brought in the team we saw play five, four, three and two years ago... No one here knows what is going on behind the scenes with John Davidson in the organization; he could be impacting the room in a way Howson never could.

There is more to winning than a list of players, there is an organization behind players on a daily basis... A simple positive attitude knowing you are being led by a guy (JD) with bona fide experience and confidence could be the difference...

Good post.

Let's look at the S.H. Situation from a little bit different perspective.

J.D. Was president of the St. Louis Blues. The Blues were sold to a new ownership group. The new owners decided that they no longer wanted J.D. as President and they parted ways. Everyone agrees that J.D. did a great job rebuilding that team, yet for whatever reason ownership wanted a new direction and their guy as President.

Now J.D. is President here in CBus. J.D. Knows what and who he wants. No matter what kind of job S.H. did, Davidson wanted to move in a different direction and bring in his guy. In business, this happens all the time. So whether you liked Scott or not, it was well within Davidson's authority to can Howson and bring in Jarmo.

Nuff said.

Time to stop looking up a dead horses ass, and move on.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
What matters here isn't making or missing the playoffs this year, it's building a winning culture. Even if the team goes on to lose the rest of the games by one goal, what they have established is a core group that will not allow them to play lackluster. Keep this attitude, mix in some talent, and you have the right recipe for success. We all knew this year wouldn't be our year, so lets not get our hopes up too high - but enjoy the ride, this is the kind of effort we should start to expect from this team (and should have expected from day one).

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
What matters here isn't making or missing the playoffs this year, it's building a winning culture. Even if the team goes on to lose the rest of the games by one goal, what they have established is a core group that will not allow them to play lackluster. Keep this attitude, mix in some talent, and you have the right recipe for success. We all knew this year wouldn't be our year, so lets not get our hopes up too high - but enjoy the ride, this is the kind of effort we should start to expect from this team (and should have expected from day one).

Reminds me of the Dean Smith years at North Carolina. His basketball teams were almost always two super-stars surrounded by good solid hard working role players.

That translates to most sports. A couple of stars on offense and defense surrounded by good, solid, hard working role players, and good goaltending and this team is in the mix. They have the defense, and the hard workers, now all they need is a few snipers, and look out.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
IMO, the only decision is whether to trade away performers or not. It's very hard for me to pick with any confidence who I'd move. RJ could still score 20 goals the way he played over the weekend. Brassard leads the team in PP points (if I heard Rimmer right). I'd let Aucoin go, though he's played well of late, simply to make room for Erixon, Prout, and/or Goloubef, I think we may have a future top pairing guy in that lot. I don't think I'd trade any of the top 4. We'd be haunted for sure to see Jack Johnson light it up for Pitt in the playoffs, just so we could take another step back and wait for draft picks which may or may not pan out. Bobs showing signs of life, that makes everyone on the ice believe they can win every night, no matter the deficit. When was the last time this team got blown out?

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Exactly, I dont think Howson had the hockey-mind that JD and JK have, not to say Howson doesnt know hockey(obviously a little bit if he got to where hes at) but no where near on the level of these two.

This isn't really the place for my spirited defense of Scott Howson, so let me just register my view that you're point is unfounded.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
IMO, the only decision is whether to trade away performers or not. It's very hard for me to pick with any confidence who I'd move. RJ could still score 20 goals the way he played over the weekend. Brassard leads the team in PP points (if I heard Rimmer right). I'd let Aucoin go, though he's played well of late, simply to make room for Erixon, Prout, and/or Goloubef, I think we may have a future top pairing guy in that lot. I don't think I'd trade any of the top 4. We'd be haunted for sure to see Jack Johnson light it for Pitt in the playoffs, just so we could take another step back and wait for draft picks which may or may not pan out. Bobs showing signs of life, that makes everyone on the ice believe they can win every night, no matter the deficit. When was the last time this team got blow out?

January 23rd 5-1 and the 24th 4-0.... and January 31st 4-1....

The rest of the season has been very close.... the last six weeks or so.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I a somewhere in the middle of all the above. I think we have a chance,albeit a slim one, of making the playoffs. That being said if we are close to a playoff spot I think we make a trade (as a seller) only if we get a really good return (a #1 instead of a #2) otherwise I think we wait till the draft before we deal. Those who might go Brass, Aucoin, Prospal (least likely unless he is Tkachuked) and Umbie if he waives. Those are guys who could help a contender. And who I don't think fit in the long term plans. I don't see us being a buyer;as blah said what we need will not be available at the deadline but might be at the draft or before free agency. Interesting time coming up.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Short of a Stanley Cup, I don't read too much into this surge (from the standpoint of making moves specifically for the playoffs), given whats been preached by management so far. Given whats transpired in the last twelve Months with this franchise (Carter, Nash, Howson all Gone, Priest reassigned, Davidson and Jarmo in, Richards and his staff's future uncertain) I see this as a transition year.

I expect the team to be "sellers", even if its only a piece or two.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
What JD and Jarmo have likely discussed that they will not reveal to most is when they expect to be competitive? Not average (get to the playoffs) but able to win a playoff series competitive.
We all want to think it's next year - I believe it's the following year (2014-15) that they want to have a good team.
Then they have to look at the roster and see who fits where in 2 years.
That doesn't mean they are going to blow up the roster, but they have to have a good feel on who fits where. For those that don't fit they need to decide if they will fade away (someone like a prospal or Aucoin maybe) but will be benefial to work with the youngsters, someone that has value to someone else (maybe RJ or some of the existing forwards), etc.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
Things are never as bad as they seem, or as good.

Good teams don't alter their master plan because of one good stretch or one bad stretch. Keep working the master plan.

The kids are playing pretty good hockey right now, especially Bob. Don't do anything stupid like trade prospects for a playoff push Or signing Bob to a Mason-like contract extension.

Let it play out and see where we are. Keep working the plan.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Can you imagine how miserable it would be around here? A team in the playoffs that is 100% put together and maintained by Howson...with me constantly reminding everyone of that.;)

Kinda like Tressel winning with Cooper's players?

What will happen to the misery index if they win a series or two? :D

There is only one person who will be taking credit for this surge by the CBJ.

doug_maclean_240.jpg

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Can you imagine how miserable it would be around here? A team in the playoffs that is 100% put together and maintained by Howson...with me constantly reminding everyone of that.;)

Very few will care. His resume as a Jackets GM blew. We are better off without him at the helm. Now, let's talk about JK/JD.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Very few will care. His resume as a Jackets GM blew. We are better off without him at the helm. Now, let's talk about JK/JD.

This. He implemented a plan coming off the playoff year that, for a variety of reasons, did not work. This past year, he tried to change course and implement a Plan B, but it's not too often in this business that you get to do a Plan B if your Plan A led to three consecutive years in the league basement.

He made some good moves, but he made alot of mistakes as well. I am thankful that he didn't clear the cupboards of draft picks and prospects as he tried to save his job (although he did that with the Carter trade, but recovered OK from that). I will give him credit for that, hope he learned from his experience here, and wish him well in the future.

Regardless of how the team finishes this year, it was time to move on. I'm ready for JK/JD's Plan A. Back on topic - I have little idea what their Plan A is, but let's hope its a good one.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Regardless of how the team finishes this year, it was time to move on. I'm ready for JK/JD's Plan A. Back on topic - I have little idea what their Plan A is, but let's hope its a good one.

:) me either.

Scott was conservative, and his legacy as such includes a class of promising prospects (Moore, Erixon, Goloubef, Prout, Calvert, Johansen, Atkinson), and three 1st round picks in 2013. When alot of GM's fail, they sell off the club's future to attempt to right the ship and save their hide. Scott, never went into panic mode, he always planned for the future, and tried to make moves based on growth first, value second. Of course, some big mistakes were made along the way, and we took a huge step backwards 3 seasons ago.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Things are never as bad as they seem, or as good.

Good teams don't alter their master plan because of one good stretch or one bad stretch. Keep working the master plan.

The kids are playing pretty good hockey right now, especially Bob. Don't do anything stupid like trade prospects for a playoff push Or signing Bob to a Mason-like contract extension.

Let it play out and see where we are. Keep working the plan.

:handclap:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't like this presumption that we couldn't win a playoff series. Almost every year a lower seed comes in with a tight checking game and a hot goalie and knocks a team or two out. (This is not an argument for buying at the deadline).

Also if people want to keep discussing Howson's legacy please start a new thread.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
Okay. We've been down, we're now up. We've *****ed about Umbie,Brass,Bob, Nikitin,Toots,Aucoin, etc. Now they are all heroes.

A rebuild supposedly is needed. A couple more wins and we're in the playoff hunt and Jones, Mackinnon, et al are merely guys that will torture us for years to come.

We're young. Most of our guys are signed for next year or are no brainers to be resigned.

Richards is a lame duck next year if he isn't extended.

Barring a return to historical Jacket habits and a prolonged slump, what does Jarmo do?

Things are a bit more complicated than when he first showed up.

???

The best scorer on our team (Prospal) won't be here by the time we are ready to truly contend for the playoffs. Room eventually will have to be made for improvements at forward one way or another given that the next highest scorer has 6 goals.

The win streak has been fun, but let's not kid ourselves about the rebuilding process. If you are a believe in advanced statistics this team may be headed for a market correction soon--the score-adjusted Fenwick numbers I've seen are not good. We're still 13th in the West with more games played than the 2 teams beneath us. Let's not get too carried away.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006

I'll do you a favor and not be nearly as obnoxious if we finish in the bottom 5 (again) and Burke's Leafs make it to the playoffs and win a round. :nod:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'll do you a favor and not be nearly as obnoxious if we finish in the bottom 5 (again) and Burke's Leafs make it to the playoffs and win a round. :nod:

That's not doing a favor; that's just entertaining.

I wonder if any bystanders read our arguments and realize that it's two fairly intelligent individuals who are WAY too old for this basically regressing into schoolyard-style "my dad can beat up your dad" sniping.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
If we mortgage some future pieces for a chance to "Win Now", the "Brick by Brick" building will take longer to build.

The thinking seems to be that, if we make the playoffs, then anything can happen. I hope Jarmo and JD aren't willing to bank some of the future to try and chase that notion.

Making the playoffs once every 3 years or so (and only then by the skin of our teeth) shouldn't be goal. The goal should be playoffs and advancement and be a serious factor each year. Its going to take more time, because its never been done right.

Jarmo and JD can't turn the clocks back and undo the mistakes of the past, and you can't judge them on those mistakes. As long as they acknowledge our suffering as fans and work as hard as they can to make this work positively, there's not much more I can ask right now.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That's not doing a favor; that's just entertaining.

I wonder if any bystanders read our arguments and realize that it's two fairly intelligent individuals who are WAY too old for this basically regressing into schoolyard-style "my dad can beat up your dad" sniping.

Even folks who know you think you just sound like kids on the playgrounds trying to decide whose dad is tougher. At least that's what I've heard...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The plan should be (and hopefully, likely is) sustained success, not a short term fix. The wins have been nice and entertaining, but I still don't see a team that I believe is going to be successful in the long haul. That's what's really important.

Assuming a plan/strategy/whatever is in place -- don't blow that up because of a nice six game run.

It's been fun but I still see a team that's closer to Calgary and Edmonton than to Chicago and Anaheim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad