Recalled/Assigned: Pulkkinen sent back down

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I hate to disappoint you guys but I highly doubt Babcock puts a guy playing his first NHL game on the point. If they play a true umbrella he doesn't have to though.

Although Babcock didn't hesitate to put Brunner on the point in his rookie year.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Quite happy for Pulkinnen, finally getting his opportunity to prove himself. Sucks that it has to be due to Jurco's injury though, screw Comeau!

Kutas*

I don't believe in that playoff spot anymore so this brings even something interesting in these games. I'm happy to see Finn in Red Wings again after Filppula left. Young right handed sniper.. that's exactly what this team needs. Let's see if he's ready for NHL-level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Oh, hey, Emmerton is still playing. I continue to find this utterly befuddling. Babcock KNOWS that Emmerton cannot play effectively in the NHL, yet continues to give him the nod over Ferraro because he has played in the NHL and Ferraro has not.

****ING ANNOYING.

I hate to disappoint you guys but I highly doubt Babcock puts a guy playing his first NHL game on the point. If they play a true umbrella he doesn't have to though.

Although Babcock didn't hesitate to put Brunner on the point in his rookie year.

Ericsson played point on the power play in his very first game, also because of injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Lost around here especially on the main board threads where some are dancing on our grave, the transition period has been accelerated a lot this year. Long-term this could be one of the better things that happened to the Wings even if it has been painful as hell to watch on a lot of nights.

Excited to watch Pulks in the NHL. Hopefully he can be one of the few that doesn't suck as soon as we get to the third period.
I was thinking that the other day. The Wings gained a ton of youth this year. DeKeyser, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Nyquist, and even Glendening all became full-time roster guys this year. That's huge for this organization. It's nothing less than the first wave of the rebuild.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm not saying we should be tanking, but we should be learning all we can about our kids right now. Pulk is been tearing it up in the AHL and he has a skillset we desperately need. A right handed shot with a cannon? By all accounts the rest of his game is pretty good too.

Emmerton has no place on this team. At all. He's been given a few years to see if he can stay in the lineup but he just can't. He can only *barely* make the lineup when 5 of our centers are injured in front of him. Time to give Ferraro a chance, look at what he's got, see if he can bring something more than Emmerton.

Last edited:

NyquistIsMyGod*

I'm not saying we should be tanking, but we should be learning all we can about our kids right now. Pulk is been tearing it up in the AHL and he has a skillset we desperately need. A right handed shot with a cannon? By all accounts the rest of his game is pretty good too.

Isn't the best defensively, but time in Detroit/Grand Rapids will develop that.. His passing game is severely underrated. He has speed, and will throw a hit. Kind of reminds me of a Tatar in that area. He's a pretty thick kid as well. You continue to develop that defensive game, add in some work, and you have yourself a 30 goal scorer in the NHL.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I'm with u guys on that. About time to give players like Ferraro and Pulkkinen a chance - not only in emergency calls.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What number will he wear #6 ?

Would have to guess so. I think he has worn that # for most of his career.

Also used to wear #92 in Jokerit, but I'm guessing he likes 6 best since he chose that in GR and had the option to wear #92.

Or actually do GR #'s not go over a certain range? I see that Frk is #27 and I know he wore #91 up til now.

Edit: Didn't realize #6 was out of circulation unofficially. Probably going to go with 92. Which is a sweet # IMO

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
6 is unofficially retired by the Wings so that's not an option. He'll probably get some weird, offensive linemen number like 63 or something.

Technically, you can still wear it. Illitch put the number back in circulation in 2000 if I recall correctly.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Technically, you can still wear it. Illitch put the number back in circulation in 2000 if I recall correctly.

Did Ilitch ever even unofficially retire it?

I think the team keeps it retired moreso than Ilitch himself ever did.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/15757-dear-red-wings-raise-no-6-to-the-rafters

Aurie’s family attempted to have his number hung from the rafters without success. The Red Wings decided to "keep the number out of circulation to respect the memory of Aurie. It was discussed and determined by the Red Wings that the jersey will not be hung up.”

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

I wouldn't be so sure. Babcock doesn't universally dislike/distrust rookies. He has carve-outs for certain things: grinders, guys with size, right-handed shots. And then other times, he goes completely off the board.

Also, Almqvist got 2.5 minutes on the PP in his first NHL game.

The bigger question is: who gets PP time first? Smith or Pulkkinen. My bet is on Pulkkinen.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Did Ilitch ever even unofficially retire it?

I think the team keeps it retired moreso than Ilitch himself ever did.

Honestly, I don't even know how to interpret it. I found this for what it's worth.

But Ilitch did not stop the snub there. He has also acted to have his name removed from the records permanently, apparently feeling that he actually has the right to change and shape the history of the franchise.

In 1975, when the Official NHL Guide and Record Book began listing retired numbers, three numbers were listed by Detroit - Aurie’s No. 6, Howe’s 9 and Delvecchio’s 10. For the 2000-01 season, Ilitch authorized the league to remove Aurie’s name from the guide’s list!

http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/ilitch_celebrates_yzerman_desecrates_aurie

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Probably #56. He wore it in the pre-season and in prospect camps.

Yeah, I think that's it. One of the Wings guys on my twitter feed mentioned it, and that it'll be the first time the number will be worn in a regular season game.

I was thinking that the other day. The Wings gained a ton of youth this year. DeKeyser, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Nyquist, and even Glendening all became full-time roster guys this year. That's huge for this organization. It's nothing less than the first wave of the rebuild.

With how conservatively we move guys into the lineup, that's more like three waves. :)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I wouldn't be so sure. Babcock doesn't universally dislike/distrust rookies. He has carve-outs for certain things: grinders, guys with size, right-handed shots. And then other times, he goes completely off the board.

Also, Almqvist got 2.5 minutes on the PP in his first NHL game.

The bigger question is: who gets PP time first? Smith or Pulkkinen. My bet is on Pulkkinen.

It should be both of them, but I bet it's Pulkkinen, too.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
With how conservatively we move guys into the lineup, that's more like three waves. :)

It looks something like this.

Tidal-Wave-2009.gif

And I'm excited to get to see Pulkkinen. Here's hoping his cannon is on display.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
For forwards I'd like to see

Nyquist- Legwand- Franzen
Tatar- Sheahan- Abdelkader
Pulkkinen- Emmerton- Alfredsson
Miller- Glendening- Bertuzzi

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Oh, hey, Emmerton is still playing. I continue to find this utterly befuddling. Babcock KNOWS that Emmerton cannot play effectively in the NHL, yet continues to give him the nod over Ferraro because he has played in the NHL and Ferraro has not.

****ING ANNOYING.

Ericsson played point on the power play in his very first game, also because of injuries.

Babcock seems to like the "safe" choice, hence Emmerton. But you are correct, we already know he can't deliver so why? I just don't understand his train of thought or lack thereof

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Babcock seems to like the "safe" choice, hence Emmerton. But you are correct, we already know he can't deliver so why? I just don't understand his train of thought or lack thereof

Well, part of it might be a lack of difference in what they expect either to bring to the wings. Another part might what they expect either to get out of a very prominent role in GR, and what they might bring GR. Emmerton is who he is. More time in GR won't change that, regardless of what he's doing down there.

Being elevated to being "the" guy in GR could be big for Ferraro, though. It's more responsibility, it's more exposure, it's tougher match-ups. It might be a better way of tempering him for a full season with the wings next year.

I'd like to see him in Detroit, too. Not sure it's the right decision by Detroit, but that might be part of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad