Recalled/Assigned: Puljujarvi Recalled

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not concerned with the callup. This has been Chia's stated offseason plan. Not to get so many vet recruits that it would make it harder for prospects to fit in or have time up with the club. This is the intent of the org to allow more of the prospects into the lineup. This works favorably for Pulju too because the bar hasn't been set very high. Essentially he doesn't have to knock it out of the ballpark playing with Nuge and Lucic who recently have been more than capable of holding it together on their own. All he has to do is be as good, or better, than Ryan Strome. I like the odds..;)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not concerned with the callup. This has been Chia's stated offseason plan. Not to get so many vet recruits that it would make it harder for prospects to fit in or have time up with the club. This is the intent of the org to allow more of the prospects into the lineup. This works favorably for Pulju too because the bar hasn't been set very high. Essentially he doesn't have to knock it out of the ballpark playing with Nuge and Lucic who recently have been more than capable of holding it together on their own. All he has to do is be as good, or better, than Ryan Strome. I like the odds..;)

Nuge's newfound confidence makes this call-up all the more interesting. As you say Jesse just needs to come in and work hard and let the results sort themselves out. Strome gives us a little offensive threat from the 3rd line so that could/should pay off at some point.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nuge's newfound confidence makes this call-up all the more interesting. As you say Jesse just needs to come in and work hard and let the results sort themselves out. Strome gives us a little offensive threat from the 3rd line so that could/should pay off at some point.

yep, I don't think the timing is too accidental other than it being related to Slepy, but previously they would have just pulled up Khaira and slotted him into bottom line. But now with Nuge soaring the team can put him there with more support.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Catched 3 shifts, pulju looked ok not out of place at all. Is this also right view of his game overall so far?

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
He looked really good. He is still too kind in corners but Barkov was too. He will be a good one.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
yep, I don't think the timing is too accidental other than it being related to Slepy, but previously they would have just pulled up Khaira and slotted him into bottom line. But now with Nuge soaring the team can put him there with more support.

That line looked very good today. Strong game from Jesse with no PP time.

Reactions: GameChanger

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That line looked very good today. Strong game from Jesse with no PP time.

Yep, a real positive. Kid was thrilled to be up and I would say that as much as anything means he was ready. he was just effervescent today on an off the ice and it was a pleasure seeing the kid excited at the chance and really dialing it up. This was the best he's played this season and a good time to do it. Liked that he was strong on the puck got it away fast when he had chances, and that the line showed some gell. The line just with Nuge and Lucic has been our best line on the road trip so those two were going to be setting the table well for the kid as we had both thought pregame.

I'm more optimistic now because we have 2 lines and we have Nurse playing like a star. There was some good things out there and solid EV play against a Vet club that prides itself on EV play. We actually beat the Rangers at evens in their barn. That doesn't happen often when they are on, and they were sure on today limiting time and space. Their NZ and own zone play was good, as was the Oilers.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I'm glad Jesse had a start like this. I thought the first game might be more difficult as he obviously didn't have any practise time with the team and the tempo was naturally also faster than in the AHL. It's a shame and almost unbelievable he keeps hitting the posts so often, but at least he got the one goal anyway. Now he just needs to keep this level and he'll be very useful to the Oilers. They might even try him as a secret weapon if McDavid keeps having a bit more difficult time 5-on-5.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm glad Jesse had a start like this. I thought the first game might be more difficult as he obviously didn't have any practise time with the team and the tempo was naturally also faster than in the AHL. It's a shame and almost unbelievable he keeps hitting the posts so often, but at least he got the one goal anyway. Now he just needs to keep this level and he'll be very useful to the Oilers. They might even try him as a secret weapon if McDavid keeps having a bit more difficult time 5-on-5.

Not getting any coaching from McLellan + his coaching staff might've been a net positive for Jesse at this point.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yep, a real positive. Kid was thrilled to be up and I would say that as much as anything means he was ready. he was just effervescent today on an off the ice and it was a pleasure seeing the kid excited at the chance and really dialing it up. This was the best he's played this season and a good time to do it. Liked that he was strong on the puck got it away fast when he had chances, and that the line showed some gell. The line just with Nuge and Lucic has been our best line on the road trip so those two were going to be setting the table well for the kid as we had both thought pregame.

I'm more optimistic now because we have 2 lines and we have Nurse playing like a star. There was some good things out there and solid EV play against a Vet club that prides itself on EV play. We actually beat the Rangers at evens in their barn. That doesn't happen often when they are on, and they were sure on today limiting time and space. Their NZ and own zone play was good, as was the Oilers.

The bad penalties, defensive play and PK is what killed us today. At ES we were pretty damn good, especially the Nuge line. Nuge playing well makes such a difference. If Jesse came up last year and played with last seasons Nuge it'd be a tough task. This seasons Nuge is making his linemates better.

Not getting any coaching from McLellan + his coaching staff might've been a net positive for Jesse at this point.

Ouch, that said you maybe onto something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad