Recalled/Assigned: Puljujarvi Recalled

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
I don't get it. The smart move is to not rush him, and this is rushing him. He needs to master the AHL first.

I understand where you're coming from, we have a history of throwing prospects in over their head. However, we need to call up someone... this is JP's chance to show his game.

Meanwhile, he doesn't need to master the AHL, he's needs to master the NHL.. the AHL is nothing but a competitive training camp for someone like Puljujarvi, a place to work on his game that won't hurt the big club.

Reactions: LaGu and Aerchon

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
I think Rattie would have to clear waivers if he didn’t pan out. I think he wouldn’t have to clear if he is waved after 9 games of his last wave? If he’s succeeding in the AHL let him simmer he needs a huge confidence boost the guy has struggled and confidence can cure all. Don’t think bringing him in to the pressure cooker would be the best move.

Like Puljujarvi getting a look, he can still go back once Slepy gets healthy. He should have enough time to get a real shot to prove what he’s got. I like what Fleming said about him understanding the small ice now. Hopefully his puck protection has improved, his game could grow leaps and bounds in that regard.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The team need bests the players needs.

The Oilers have a gap at RW, a problem with team speed and they need to see if the fast, skilled prospect can help stop the bleeding.

That, frankly, matters more than whatever might be best for Puljujarvi's development in the short term.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Despite my reservations around recalling Jesse at this time I really hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
The team need bests the players needs.

The Oilers have a gap at RW, a problem with team speed and they need to see if the fast, skilled prospect can help stop the bleeding.

That, frankly, matters more than whatever might be best for Puljujarvi's development in the short term.

True, but it's almost impossible to know what is best for a player's development, especially for a high draft pick. Their mental predisposition, ability to adapt and their reaction to stress, commitment to getting better are never predictable. We thought Drai was pouting when sent to the A, but it perhaps he needed other skilled players along with top level competition to showcase his improved abilities.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not the same thing imo

Jesse's issues are entirely different
that wasn't so obvious at the time with Drai though. Yes they were different, but there very similar too. In principle it was about super talented, raw players that everyone agreed should spend significant time away from the team

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If they’re not going to play him in the top 6 and PP then it’s a waste to bring him up. They need to give him a chance to be the player he was drafted to be.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Meh. Nothing wrong with playing him on the 3rd line if thats what they decide to do with him.

I agree, but with Nuge and Lucic clicking quite well at evens this year, that line might just be the best spot for him regardless.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him on the third line with Jokinen to start off. It might light a fire under his ass as well. We need to get a few guys going and this setup may get one or two guys off the snide...

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - RNH - Strome
Pakarinen - Jokinen - Puljujarvi
Malone - Letestu - Kassian

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him on the third line with Jokinen to start off. It might light a fire under his ass as well. We need to get a few guys going and this setup may get one or two guys off the snide...

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - RNH - Strome
Pakarinen - Jokinen - Puljujarvi
Malone - Letestu - Kassian

They have no chemistry what so ever.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They have no chemistry what so ever.
If it wasn't for two Lucic whiffs a few games ago on Strome feeds we'd be saying the opposite. Their cycle game was pretty strong as well in the few games they had together. And regardless, whoever plays in that RW role is going to feed off of the play of Lucic and RNH who have improved considerably over the past few games.

As for JP, he at least gets an opportunity to get up to speed next to two guys he can understand.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Hopefully he shoots the puck and doesn't defer to the vets as so many rookies often do.

He was drafted to be a shooter/goal scorer.

Hoping for the best but expecting him to be a non-factor and get sent down again soon. With his confidence significantly battered.

Because...Oilers.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hopefully he shoots the puck and doesn't defer to the vets as so many rookies often do.

He was drafted to be a shooter/goal scorer.

Hoping for the best but expecting him to be a non-factor and get sent down again soon. With his confidence significantly battered.

Because...Oilers.
I'd read that scouting report again if I were you.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
I'd read that scouting report again if I were you.
  • Corey Pronman: He’s an unbelievable skater for a 6-foot-4 player, having a great top gear and a really fluid stride. He’s not that physically aggressive, but he closes on guys so well that he pressures and wins battles effectively. Puljujarvi shows a high-skill level, a plus shot and high-end hockey IQ. He is constantly around the puck and setting up his teammates.
  • Red Line Report: Big horse looks and plays like a Mats Sundin clone. Has the four S’s: size, skills, skating, shot. Has all the tools to be a dominant power forward who combines top-notch skills with brute force. Terrific size/strength and is impossible to move off the puck — uses wide stance and is hard on his stick. Comes alive whenever the puck is nearby. Wants to make plays. Dynamic skater accelerates in a few strides and has excellent speed. Uses long reach and soft hands to beat “D” off the rush. Dangerous every shift.
Probably a set up guy. The truth is he was drafted because the Blue Jackets passed on him. ;)

But I bet the team would like a trigger man.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Meh. Nothing wrong with playing him on the 3rd line if thats what they decide to do with him.

He's not going to get anything done on the 3rd line and all it will do is hurt his already fractured confidence even further. The best way to maximize his abilities is by playing him with skilled players and not demoting him if he makes a mistake or two. Young offensive players need to score to gain confidence and he needs to score in the worst way. Once he does, he could take off.
However, I'm not very confident that he's ready to take on a full time top 6 role based on the way he looked in preseason but I'm rooting like hell that he does.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's not going to get anything done on the 3rd line and all it will do is hurt his already fractured confidence even further. The best way to maximize his abilities is by playing him with skilled players and not demoting him if he makes a mistake or two. Young offensive players need to score to gain confidence and he needs to score in the worst way. Once he does, he could take off.
However, I'm not very confident that he's ready to take on a full time top 6 role based on the way he looked in preseason but I'm rooting like hell that he does.
He scored in the first game last season. It didn't do squat for him, it took him six games to get another point. The important part of Puljujarvi's development at this point in the NHL is for him to understand what the hell is going on when he's on the ice. Playing him with JJ for the first few games to get his feet under him wouldn't be a bad idea.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He scored in the first game last season. It didn't do squat for him, it took him six games to get another point. The important part of Puljujarvi's development at this point in the NHL is for him to understand what the hell is going on when he's on the ice. Playing him with JJ for the first few games to get his feet under him wouldn't be a bad idea.

I disagree, stick him with Nuge. RNH is playing very well right now and creating offense, Jesse can be a finisher on that line.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I disagree, stick him with Nuge. RNH is playing very well right now and creating offense, Jesse can be a finisher on that line.
Wouldn't be shocked if that happened either. But I see two Fins on the third line currently. Wouldn't be shocked to see a third one make an appearance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad