Recalled/Assigned: Puljujarvi Recalled

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Put him with maroon and mcdavid. Move draisaitl with lucid and rnh. Drai and lucic had some good chemistry last year.

Pulju can skate with mcdavid and they’ve shown well in short samples. Hopefully they can put up some points and pulju gets his confidence going.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Hope they give him a good look with Nuge. Or try him with McDavid and move Drai down with RNH/Lucic.

One way or the other, this feels like make or break time for the kid. He better show something or I'm gonna really start to worry about his upside.

I agree, I'm a bit scared actually for what will happen. Really need this kid to show something, anything. I'll be very discouraged if he once again does not look like an NHL player.

The second part of that is that I really hope Todd gives him the opportunity to succeed. I think Pulju is one of those players who needs a pat on the back and needs to know that his coach believes in him. Confidence is everything in sports, so I really hope Todd doesn't bench or demote him for any little mistake.

If he's gonna play in the NHL he needs to be given the opportunity to fail. It's part of development. If he doesn't have any leeway whatsoever he's better off in the AHL.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Worst outcome? He'll need another year in the AHL.
Best outcome? He'll take off like Drai in 15/16.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Put him with maroon and mcdavid. Move draisaitl with lucid and rnh. Drai and lucic had some good chemistry last year.

Pulju can skate with mcdavid and they’ve shown well in short samples. Hopefully they can put up some points and pulju gets his confidence going.

That's a good idea, actually. I love it. Let McDavid drive the 1st line, and Drai drive the 2nd, though Nuge has been driving it very well, just lacks consistent offensive help. With the way Nuge has been playing, Nuge and Drai should produce. McDavid should be able to set up JP for some tap-ins; I don't think McD needs Drai to produce, though in OT you obviously put them together. But yeah, try to develop chemistry between McD and JP, and hope it works out, and with Nuge and Drai on the 2nd line we'd have (or should have) consistent primary AND secondary scoring (in theory). And if Talbot can keep playing the way he has the past 2 games, things should get better and better. That's my dream, anyway, lol. Hope for the best.

Showcor3

Sep 27, 2017
E-town, Berta
You would think rattie would have got the call up first based on production. Maybe it’s a bid to get pulijarvi playing with more skill since ahl doesn’t have a lot for him to play with.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Cool with it. He can't be any worse than most of our bottom six and at least brings speed. If he flops then send him down ... that's whole point of ELC contracts to let teams give developing players a taste and be send back down if they need work on their game.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Cool with it. He can't be any worse than most of our bottom six and at least brings speed. If he flops then send him down ... that's whole point of ELC contracts to let teams give developing players a taste and be send back down if they need work on their game.

What I hope a flop here means worse than the rest of the team. I also hope the fans understand it may take a couple of games to adjust to the new speed. Still I expect an energetic game tomorrow.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Hopefully he surprises and gains some traction because EDM needs it in the worst way.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I'll be very discouraged if he once again does not look like an NHL player.

His last NHL season can be divided into two very diffferent parts:

1. Time until the benching started: 19 games (and one where he injured at the beginning, which I didn't count) where his average ice-time was almost 13 minutes per game. After that period his ppg/60 was the 2nd best of the team (after McDavid of course), and +- was +4 (one of the best in the team) and his corsi was the best of the team at the time of one article that mentioned it (the only time I checked it too). Points 1+6 during this time.

There were also games where he was one of the best players. So while he may have been raw and still far from his potential, he wasn't doing too badly, especially considering he was the youngest player in the league with no much language skills. Take almost any game from this period and most messages consider him looking like an NHL player.

2. Time during the benching process and with limited minutes: 8 games with TOI of just over 8 minutes per game. Points only 0+1 and +- was +1. That's when people felt bad seeing him play every 2nd or 3rd game and wanted him sent to the AHL. Too bad so many people seem to remember only this perioid.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Pretty cool to make his season debut at MSG in the Big Apple. Speaking of apples, I bet JP could crunch one down in a single bite with that set of chompers. I'd pay money to see that actually.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I agree, I'm a bit scared actually for what will happen. Really need this kid to show something, anything. I'll be very discouraged if he once again does not look like an NHL player.

The second part of that is that I really hope Todd gives him the opportunity to succeed. I think Pulju is one of those players who needs a pat on the back and needs to know that his coach believes in him. Confidence is everything in sports, so I really hope Todd doesn't bench or demote him for any little mistake.

If he's gonna play in the NHL he needs to be given the opportunity to fail. It's part of development. If he doesn't have any leeway whatsoever he's better off in the AHL.

Agree with this entire post.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Worst outcome? He'll need another year in the AHL.
Best outcome? He'll take off like Drai in 15/16.

I'm hoping JP is a 60 point guy at most. Why? So we can afford to keep him long-term. If he somehow clicks this season to score 40-50 points and then scores 70+ points next season, like Drai has, he's going to want a huge contract. So I'd actually rather him be a 25/35 type of player at most, or something like that. That's all we really need on the RW. We have our superstar and near superstar (dare I call Drai that -- a stretch, I admit, but he's a very high level player regardless). Pulju just needs to be relatively consistent, and solid defensively, scoring 25 goals or so a season. Would be a perfect fit on either the 1st or 2nd line RW spot, and wont cost 8 million a season to keep (hopefully). If he breaks out into a 55-60 point player (which again, I think is all we need), I hope we can give him a Nuge type contract, and try to keep him long-term. Trade Strome for a pick, sign cheaper player to play the 4th line C -- Letestu makes about 2m; we can sign someone for half that, and probably not lose much or anything -- at least with the way he's playing this season. Do what it takes; trim all the excess fat you can, and keep him. But if he breaks out like Drai, he might as well be gone for picks and prospects within 2 seasons. But maybe we win a SC if he goes gang-busters? So maybe it's worth it in that sense. But that doesn't seem likely. We have to remember he just turned 19 this year in May. Still a very young guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Swap drai and nuge. Pulujarvi with Lucic and Draisaitl. That down low game is the things dreams are made of.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Patience for Puljujarvi
Fleming talks about Pulju.

Thanks for the article! Some interesting things in it, e.g. this about the mental side:

“His biggest challenge is realizing that when he isn’t scoring, it is okay. He has always been a difference maker, and he will be, but not every shift, and he just has to learn that is okay. He just needs to understand mentally that he can help the team a lot, even when he isn’t scoring. He has gotten much better at that, but it is a challenge for him, like most young players. Unless you are Connor McDavid you likely aren’t going to dominate every game,” said Fleming.

And this one is quite promising:

“The biggest thing for Jesse when he is playing well is he moving. He can really move for a big man, and I just don’t mean tall. He is thick. He works out all the time. He is strong and when he is moving well with the puck it has been men against boys,” Fleming said to me this morning.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't like the idea of lining him up with McDavid right away, no point in throwing the kid directly into the fire. Let him simmer in the frying pan first.

I'd say getting him on a line with Jokinen would be a wise start, give him a bit of comfort level. This also leaves Lucic and Kassian as your other middle 6 wingers, a combo which has looked decent together. See which duo RNH/Strome fit better with and there's your middle 6.

Going into next game...

Maroon-McDavid-Draisatl
Lucic-RNH/Strome-Kassian
Jokinen-RNH/Strome-Puljujarvi
Malone-Letestu-Pakarinen

Reactions: guymez

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Has anyone been following the Condors this year? I just took a look and Puljujarvi has a 3.2 s% so far, seems awfully low for someone of his caliber in the ahl. Has he just been incredibly snake bitten or are there concerns there with his finishing ability so far this year?

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I'm hoping JP is a 60 point guy at most. Why? So we can afford to keep him long-term. If he somehow clicks this season to score 40-50 points and then scores 70+ points next season, like Drai has, he's going to want a huge contract. So I'd actually rather him be a 25/35 type of player at most, or something like that. That's all we really need on the RW. We have our superstar and near superstar (dare I call Drai that -- a stretch, I admit, but he's a very high level player regardless). Just needs to be relatively consistent, and solid defensively, scoring 25 goals or so a season. Would be a perfect fit on either the 1st or 2nd line RW spot, and wont cost 8 million a season to keep (hopefully). If he breaks out into a 55-60 point player (which again, I think is all we need), I hope we can give him a Nuge type contract, and try to keep him long-term. Trade Strome for a pick, sign cheaper player to play the 4th line C -- Letestu makes about 2m; we can sign someone for half that, and probably not lose much or anything -- at least with the way he's playing this season. Do what it takes; trim all the excess fat you can, and keep him. But if he breaks out like Drai, he might as well be gone for picks and prospects within 2 seasons. But maybe we win a SC if he goes gang-busters? So maybe it's worth it in that sense. But that doesn't seem likely. We have to remember he just turned 19 this year in May. Still a very young guy.

Well, you've converted my thoughts into a much more detailed description of how I feel about Pulju and his call up. :laugh:

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
I'm hoping JP is a 60 point guy at most. Why? So we can afford to keep him long-term. If he somehow clicks this season to score 40-50 points and then scores 70+ points next season, like Drai has, he's going to want a huge contract. So I'd actually rather him be a 25/35 type of player at most, or something like that. That's all we really need on the RW. We have our superstar and near superstar (dare I call Drai that -- a stretch, I admit, but he's a very high level player regardless). Pulju just needs to be relatively consistent, and solid defensively, scoring 25 goals or so a season. Would be a perfect fit on either the 1st or 2nd line RW spot, and wont cost 8 million a season to keep (hopefully). If he breaks out into a 55-60 point player (which again, I think is all we need), I hope we can give him a Nuge type contract, and try to keep him long-term. Trade Strome for a pick, sign cheaper player to play the 4th line C -- Letestu makes about 2m; we can sign someone for half that, and probably not lose much or anything -- at least with the way he's playing this season. Do what it takes; trim all the excess fat you can, and keep him. But if he breaks out like Drai, he might as well be gone for picks and prospects within 2 seasons. But maybe we win a SC if he goes gang-busters? So maybe it's worth it in that sense. But that doesn't seem likely. We have to remember he just turned 19 this year in May. Still a very young guy.
makes a lot of sense tbh. was really disappointed when he fell so far below Matthews/Laine last season, but it might all be for the best.

Reactions: Consultant

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
makes a lot of sense tbh. was really disappointed when he fell so far below Matthews/Laine last season, but it might all be for the best.

Yeah, it's hard to keep expectations down. As a fan, you always have a tendency to want all your forwards to score 100 points a season, and the D to score 50. But in a cap world it's impoossible to do (unless the cap goes up by 150 million -- not likely any time soon). As much as we want him to be a point-per-game player, it's actually in our best interest if he's the 25g, 60 point player I describe. Then we might have a chance at keeping our team intact for the long term. Do what it takes. If he becomes that player, which is still a VERY useful player, we need to find a way to keep him (and Nuge, if he keeps up his season). Do what it takes.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
There are lot of excited people. I don't see it myself!

I'm not sure he can process the game at this level. Has the tools to do it.... I hope he proves me wrong.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
I don't get it. The smart move is to not rush him, and this is rushing him. He needs to master the AHL first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad