McKenzie: Puljujarvi has requested a trade [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If this is reflective of how most Oilers fans feel, cant say I'll feel much sympathy for the organization when they end up at the bottom of the standings yet again.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong in asking for a trade. I wouldnt expect fans to like the player after that, but management imo should have an obligation to fulfill the request. It doesnt sound like most of you even care about the player anyways. Holland should just move him for a late round pick
So we should give him away just cause he asks?

Not a chance, the oilers are done bending over backwards for players.

I didn’t see you complaining that yzerman should just trade drouin, it’s his obligation to move him ASAP!

Reactions: TheNumber4

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Looking back at the Combine, Puljujarvi didnt know a lick of English at this draft interview. He was hired a tutor. Later, he admits in a finnish interview that he has problem understanding the coach, that it is awkward because he always has to go last so he can immitate what other people do. One year ago he basically said ”no time for english only hockey” when asked about his progress. Im sure 3 years in american dressing rooms without being able to properly bond with your teammates is bad for someones confidence

I am sure Oilers has mismanaged him in tons of ways, still dont think you could have convinced him to stay and play in Finland 3 years ago to Continue to develop. He was a 4th overall, playing with men, touted to be NHL ready.

Puljujarvi looked to have given up early last season. I saw alot of games and sometimes there would be flashes of his talent, but most of the time he was just behind the play, and not working very hard to change that.

Oilers sure is to blame for alot but he has responsability in it too. And to request trade while undergoing major shoulder surgery is just bizarre. Just seems like a lack of judgement.

Reactions: plank

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
The ethical thing to do is grant a request of a player who doesnt want to play for the team any more. It's hardly an unreasonable one either considering hownthe faired ith the team so far.

The cheerleading of some folks in advocating the Oilers essentially destroy this young mans career is fairly disgusting

When a player demands out from your precious Maple Leafs, will you be so high and mighty about ethics?

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
If this is reflective of how most Oilers fans feel, cant say I'll feel much sympathy for the organization when they end up at the bottom of the standings yet again.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong in asking for a trade. I wouldnt expect fans to like the player after that, but management imo should have an obligation to fulfill the request. It doesnt sound like most of you even care about the player anyways. Holland should just move him for a late round pick
Didn't Yzerman do what Holland is currently doing? And Winnipeg with Rosloviv?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think playing a year in Europe would be best for his development. He can get prime minutes, even if he plays for the Oilers I feel as though his top 6 opportunities might be few and far between. I'm not sure Jesse can make it as a bottom 6 forward long term.

Yeh maybe Europe would be good for him. I’ll say this regarding Jesse though, I think he’s actually show to be more fit for a bottom 6 role than top 6. He skates hard, hounds the puck hard, doesn’t seem to skirt responsibility (if he knows what it is)..... what he hasn’t shown really is that enough offensive ability required to stick in the top 6.

I’m actually okay with him turning out to be just a third liner... he’d be a good one at that and it’s more than what we’ve extracted from many a draft pick.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
When a player demands out from your precious Maple Leafs, will you be so high and mighty about ethics?
yes. Dubas has honored requests from Leivo, Marleau, and Zaitsev in requests to move them, and potentially others. That doesn't mean Edmonton has to, but as a Leafs fan I am totally on board with that approach

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
yes. Dubas has honored requests from Leivo, Marleau, and Zaitsev in requests to move them, and potentially others. That doesn't mean Edmonton has to, but as a Leafs fan I am totally on board with that approach

Lol Marleau and Zaitsev wanted out? Or were pushed out?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
GMs have an obligation to trade players who request trades?

lolol
No obligation IMO, but if the guy is willing to sit in Europe the team usually is better off getting something back.

It seems like the relationship is probably very hard to repair, if at all.

Might be best to move him for locker room purposes, having a guy on your team who doesnt want to be there is a hard situation to handle.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Wonder if Holland calls up his old team's Captain.

Detroit gets: Puljujarvi

Oilers get: Evegeny Svechnikov

I love Svech's personality, but he's suffered with injuries, yet still probably has a better chance at being a bottom 6er than Pulj who is more boom or bust. Could be a trade with a minor add.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hanging on to him at all costs and forcing him to play in Europe will do more to feed the narrative that Edmonton isn't a place players want to play in than trading him before training camp will.

Why would you want to turn this into a huge thing?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Hanging on to him at all costs and forcing him to play in Europe will do more to feed the narrative that Edmonton isn't a place players want to play in than trading him before training camp will.

Because if Holland doesn't recieve an offer he thinks is fair, he won't do a deal.

What if right now, the best offer for Puljujarvi is a 3rd round pick? You really think it would be in the Oilers best interest to trade him for that?

No, screw that. Holland isn't a GM your going to push around. Jesse hasn't done anything to warrant this sense of entitlement.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Puljujarvi doesn't want to play in Europe. He's not going to make nearly as much money in Europe as he could with even a small NHL sub $1m contract.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's needs the AHL development time anyway, so a season in Europe is just as good if not better.

Let him play the year in Europe. He has a good season and they'll be able to get more for him in a year.

I don't care about holding the kid "hostage", but if a year of development in the AHL or Europe is not going to hurt him and he likely needs it, his agent needed to tell him that 3 years ago but they insisted he didn't want to play in the AHL.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Let’s be real here, you guys needed to move zaitsev and Marleau regardless of if they wanted to or not.

He gave up a first to move Marleau, that wasn’t done to please the player

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Let’s be real here, you guys needed to move zaitsev and Marleau regardless of if they wanted to or not.

He gave up a first to move Marleau, that wasn’t done to please the player
Leafs didn't really need to move Zaitsev. Ceci has the same hit this year, so it didn't exactly help create any room for now. Marleau did apparently request to go to the Sharks or to a team that could buy him out, and I personally don't have any problem with that even though it sort of handcuffed Dubas. Yes it worked out for the Leafs, but ultimately it may have been better if Marleau was willing to go and play anywhere. Even if you want to nix that example, I still don't have any issue with honoring lesser players requesting a trade

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Leafs didn't really need to move Zaitsev. Ceci has the same hit this year, so it didn't exactly help create any room for now. Marleau did apparently request to go to the Sharks or to a team that could buy him out, and I personally don't have any problem with that even though it sort of handcuffed Dubas. Yes it worked out for the Leafs, but ultimately it may have been better if Marleau was willing to go and play anywhere. Even if you want to nix that example, I still don't have any issue with honoring lesser players requesting a trade
It still has to make sense for the team.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Because if Holland doesn't recieve an offer he thinks is fair, he won't do a deal.

What if right now, the best offer for Puljujarvi is a 3rd round pick? You really think it would be in the Oilers best interest to trade him for that?

No, screw that. Holland isn't a GM your going to push around. Jesse hasn't done anything to warrant this sense of entitlement.

If the best offer for Puljujärvi is a 3rd round pick, it's because his trade value isn't higher. It's not like there is collusion going on here. If a teams thought they would get good value trading more for him they would. They are interested in improving their team, right?

He's scored 37 points in in 139 NHL games and has major hockey IQ issues. Oilers need to let go of the illusion that he's more than he is, just because they drafted him 4th overall.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It still has to make sense for the team.
I agree. I think in this case, honoring the request makes sense. You don't want a malcontent sticking around like that, and it's a good way to recoup some value for a player who literally doesn't want to contribute anything at all. It's not like he's a key piece or anything either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad