McKenzie: Puljujarvi has requested a trade [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So in your opinion it’s better to let young players dictate their own terms?

If Holland and the Oilers don’t stand firm then it sets a terrible precedent going forward where any young player who’s unhappy for whatever reason will demand a trade.

The kid has no leverage here, he’s gambling with his career.

The ethical thing to do is grant a request of a player who doesnt want to play for the team any more. It's hardly an unreasonable one either considering hownthe faired ith the team so far.

The cheerleading of some folks in advocating the Oilers essentially destroy this young mans career is fairly disgusting

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How does it look bad in Oilers and Holland? Because we won't let a player in our organization dictate terms and cave immediately to them? Maybe Pool Party should take a long look in the mirror if he is unhappy with how his career has started.

Cave immediately? The guy asked weeks ago to be moved.

No need to wreck the guys career because he feels hes not wanted in the organization. Keeping him too will simply create a toxic atmosphere in the dressingroom

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

No need to wreck the guys career because he feels hes not wanted in the organization. Keeping him too will simply create a toxic atmosphere in the dressingroom
How will there be a toxic dressing room atmosphere when he's on the other side of the planet? You think the players are all going to sit around lamenting the loss of Jesse and how much he could be helping(lol) the team?

The ethical thing to do is grant a request of a player who doesnt want to play for the team any more. It's hardly an unreasonable one either considering hownthe faired ith the team so far.

The cheerleading of some folks in advocating the Oilers essentially destroy this young mans career is fairly disgusting
Jesse is doing a fine job destroying his own career. This isn't on the Oilers. If he is adamant of never playing for the Oilers then he should have no problem sitting out the NHL until he's 27, because that is a possibility.

Reactions: HuMz

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How will there be a toxic dressing room atmosphere when he's on the other side of the planet? You think the players are all going to sit around lamenting the loss of Jesse and how much he could be helping(lol) the team?

Jesse is doing a fine job destroying his own career. This isn't on the Oilers. If he is adamant of never playing for te Oilers then he should have no problem sitting out the NHL until he's 27, because that is a possibility.

If this is reflective of how most Oilers fans feel, cant say I'll feel much sympathy for the organization when they end up at the bottom of the standings yet again.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong in asking for a trade. I wouldnt expect fans to like the player after that, but management imo should have an obligation to fulfill the request. It doesnt sound like most of you even care about the player anyways. Holland should just move him for a late round pick

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If this is reflective of how most Oilers fans feel, cant say I'll feel much sympathy for the organization when they end up at the bottom of the standings yet again.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong in asking for a trade. I wouldnt expect fans to like the player after that, but management imo should have an obligation to fulfill the request. It doesnt sound like most of you even care about the player anyways. Holland should just move him for a late round pick

Oilers fans are just terrified that if they trade Puljujarvi that he will finally put it all together like so many before him once they got out of the toxicity in Edmonton.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Oilers holding onto his rights until they get an offer they deem acceptable.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
I’m going back to Drouin on this one, dont see why teams should just grant trade requests left or right.

Roslovic in WPG has requested a trade multiple times. None is crying out for player treatment there. So IMO the way this discussion has gone, I think its just another Oilers narrative thing

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

He didn't ask. His agent publically demanded a trade like an entitled brat, destroying whatever trade value he has left.

Holland will move him when a deal that suits the Oilers comes along. Pulju can either play for the Oilers and raise his value or go hide in Europe.

The moral thing is for Pulju to sign a contract and earn a trade

Reactions: Calypso

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Why would management have an obligation to fulfill a request if they aren't getting an offer they deem acceptable? There's plenty of other professional hockey leagues in the world that Jesse is welcome to play in if an acceptable deal doesn't materialize. A late round pick doesn't do much of anything for the team, and it would be a dumb move to make.

Reactions: Steeler23

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Oilers holding onto his rights until they get an offer they deem acceptable.

I think the biggest problem is the offers aren't getting any better at this point forward, not to mention it hurts the organization's public image. Why would you want to sign a ELC or even a UFA contract with a team who refuses to honor your wishes after nearly a full season+. It hasn't worked, trade him and move on, this isn't a hostage situation and an eventual wish that he succumbs to stockholm syndrome.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

The ethical thing to do lol, this is professional sports, it’s cut throat, there’s a lot of players and not a lot of spots. Things are earned not given and that includes trades. While his development may have been botched by the team, plenty of players on plenty of the teams including the oilers have overcome poor development to be good nhl players. It’s not like the Oilers completely failed him either, He’s had plenty of opportunity all over the lineup including with the best player in the world. At some point a kid has to look in the mirror and realize that it’s not all on the team and that if he wants out then he has to show well enough, either here or in Europe, for someone around the league to want to give up decent value for him.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think the biggest problem is the offers aren't getting any better at this point forward, not to mention it hurts the organization's public image. Why would you want to sign a ELC or even a UFA contract with a team who refuses to honor your wishes after nearly a full season+. It hasn't worked, trade him and move on, this isn't a hostage situation and an eventual wish that he succumbs to stockholm syndrome.

If you can't get a good deal now it makes more sense for the team to wait. Maybe he raises his stock.

Oilers have bent over backwards in the past to honor trade requests and its hurt the org.

Better off to wait until the best deal comes along. Like Yzerman did with Druion. And the Senators did with Yashin way back in the day.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I’m going back to Drouin on this one, dont see why teams should just grant trade requests left or right.

Roslovic in WPG has requested a trade multiple times. None is crying out for player treatment there. So IMO the way this discussion has gone, I think its just another Oilers narrative thing

Because you want players that actually want to play for your team?

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Comrie for Puljujarvi is a fair proposal if you ask me.
Makes absolutely 0 sense. Starett had a good year in Bakersfield, Skinner just moved up and did well in the playoffs, 1 year removed from a fantastic year, there’s Konovalov now in KHL and Rodrigue in juniors. Comrie is a bad match

Reactions: 780il

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Because you want players that actually want to play for your team?

He doesnt need to sign with EDM now or later. If he believes he can raise his stock elsewhere thats on him. Doesnt mean he be traded for a nothing pick. If Nylander can fetch Jokiharju, Puljujarvi better fetch a prospect too.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013

Cool he wants to be moved but why would Edmonton give him away? If Jesse wants to be moved so bad how about building your value back up, it would be piss poor asset management to move him at his lowest possible value. If that means he goes to Europe so be it or he can put on his big boy pants and build his value back up in the NHL. Until he does that or someone offers a real offer for him he won't and shouldn't be moved.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

For what reason exactly?

Reading your posts, it doesn't seem like you have an accurate grasp of the situation at hand.

You're talking about a 21 year old player that was recently selected 4th overall in the NHL draft. How does bending over backwards to accommodate a malcontent player benefit the Edmonton Oilers interests?

Reactions: Sacul
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad