McKenzie: Puljujarvi has requested a trade [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
CGY acquires Jesse Puljujärvi

EDM acquires Michael Frolík and a conditional 3rd in 2020 if Frolik doesn't re-sign

This assumes Edmonton isnt on Frolik's 10 team no trade list. Calgary sheds cap, clears space for some younger players to play up the lineup (Dube), and acquires a reclamation project.

Edmonton receives a strong defensive 3rd liner which Rishaug says Edmonton is looking for in a return for Puljujärvi and a conditional 3rd since Frolik only has 1 year left and Edmonton obviously doesn't want to be empty handed a year after trading a recent first rounder.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The best part about Puljujarvi going to Europe if he's not traded is that the Oilers don't need to hurry to get rid of him. If his value is low to start with, holding him out won't change that.

Basically, I don't think this trade would be the one that convinces Holland to pull the trigger.

Reactions: Fixxer

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think you’d need to do better than that to get the Oilers to risk Puljujarvi realizing his potential in Calgary.
You’re probably right, but if you guys get a Frolik caliber player, from someone else, you’ll be doing good.

Reactions: Conbon

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Absolutely not from Calgary. At this point I think Pulju has a ceiling of Frolik. Not giving a pick if Edmonton can't re-sign. That's on them

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Absolutely not from Calgary. At this point I think Pulju has a ceiling of Frolik. Not giving a pick if Edmonton can't re-sign. That's on them
I think the majority feel that Puljujärvi's ceiling is higher than a 3rd liner or he wouldn't have been picked so high and hyped up. The point of the trade is to shed cap space and if Puljujärvi becomes anything it's a bonus.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I think the majority feel that Puljujärvi's ceiling is higher than a 3rd liner or he wouldn't have been picked so high and hyped up. The point of the trade is to shed cap space and if Puljujärvi becomes anything it's a bonus.

Frolik right now is a decent second line player. Backlund/Tkachuk are better with him than without.

Maybe I'd consider if the conditional pick went the other way

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

I actually don't mind this. If Frolik was in his 20s on an ELC, the Flames wouldn't be moving him. Frolik is a cap casualty. If the Flames scouts think that Pulju can be even an effective bottom six player at this point, it's not a bad deal.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
BT liked this kid in 2016.
Only way he ends up in Calgary is a Hoffman type trade.

Reactions: CF84

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
As a Flames fan, sure because of the cap savings. With the cap savings alone doesn't make it worth it for Edmonton. I also think the pick is on the wrong side.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
So if its between UFAs, cap dumps and a 3rd round pick id rather just send him to Europe.

Can someone confirm but isnt it 6 more years till he would be UFA? If he wants to go that route fine with me. I can wait and I wouldnt be surprised in a year or two if his tone on coming back changes

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
So if its between UFAs, cap dumps and a 3rd round pick id rather just send him to Europe.

Can someone confirm but isnt it 6 more years till he would be UFA? If he wants to go that route fine with me. I can wait and I wouldnt be surprised in a year or two if his tone on coming back changes

If he goes to Europe then the Oilers retain his rights for 6 more years. I think most fans are happy enough to let him go back to Europe rather than caving to his trade request.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Pretty much my stance on this.
And mercifully, it seems to be echo'd by Holland.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I would like habs to give him a chance

Habs have no room on the wings

Left wing
Tatar
Drouin
Poehling (assuming he plays #3 winger)
Lehkonen

Right wing
Gallagher
Shaw
Byron
Armia

We could fit him into the bottom 6 if we move Lehkonen (considering he sucks) but idk if Pulju would want that. Unless we stick Poehling on #4C and make room for pulju on the 3rd line.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's not just his preference to leave Edmonton. It's his preference to be traded somewhere where people will ignore his training and studying habits and give him preferential treatment. Just let him do things his way and hope it works out for him and that the coach can figure out what to do with him. Stay positive and I'm sure it'll all work out just like it did in Edmonton!

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It's not just his preference to leave Edmonton. It's his preference to be traded somewhere where he'll people will ignore his training and studying habits and give him preferential treatment. Just let him do things his way and hope it works out for him and that the coach can figure out what to do with him. Stay positive and I'm sure it'll all work out just like it did in Edmonton!
He's 21, and was obviously rushed into the league by shady under-dealings of an overly-aggressive agent.

Like most 21 year olds, this kid is likely going to mature, and gain some perspective.

Maybe he goes to Europe for a couple of years, and comes back a better person and a better hockey player at 23.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

6 years if he goes to Europe or 5 more years under NHL contract until he's UFA. So he either becomes a UFA in 5 years if he stays in Edmonton, or 6 if he spends at least 1 year in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad