News Article: Puempel trashes sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Nah, it was definitely poor form to talk about the Sens....but, it's also a Larry Brooks article. You know how that guy works with his takes.

At the same time, I do kinda feel bad for a kid liek this. A pure shooter, are you completely dependant on others getting you the puck. That's why, if you go that route to the NHL, you damned well better be a (Patrick) Kane level sniper, or you're not going to make it. That's why being a 'complete' player is so important. Even if you aren't the greatest in other aspects of the game, if you're at least working hard and working on those other skills and are reasonably competent in other areas, you'll keep getting chances. Some of these kids need to realize the NHL isn't a regular 9 to 5 job....there are literally millions of young guns working their butts off to take your place on the roster. You need to be enthusiastic about any opportunity and assignment you get at the pro level. Give less than 100%, and you'll lose your job pretty quickly.

I really don't see him as a long term NHLer. But he could really excel in the KHL. Seriously that style of play suits him. He could make a couple hundred k per season there and maybe be a star player. I expect he will end up there in a season or two.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I've been saying it for awhile: playing a pure goal scorer on the 4th line beside Kelly and Neil was not good coaching. Obvious that Puempel needed to play with skill players to succeed, never got the chance to succeed this season.

He comes off as a fool for trashing his former team, but that doesn't mean his criticisms aren't valid. He was mismanaged here, no question.

When he is wide open, with a little time, has a good enough head of steam, gets hit with a pass coming in late through the slot with the goalie screened, partially obstructed & unable to move laterally across the crease to recover - Puempel is one of the top 200 forwards in the league, probably.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Not trying to start issues on your own boards, but I think he was more directing his anger at Boucher in particular. He said he was yelled at a lot. Maybe it was one of the instances where a certain player does better with a certain type of coach.

I think you have a very good coach, better than AV for sure. I also saw how Torts used to go head to head with some players, often without much reason.

Regardless, I am curious if Peumpel was known as a bad egg before he unloaded in what was probably an emotional moment after the game the other night.

Thanks guys!

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Not trying to start issues on your own boards, but I think he was more directing his anger at Boucher in particular. He said he was yelled at a lot. Maybe it was one of the instances where a certain player does better with a certain type of coach.

I think you have a very good coach, better than AV for sure. I also saw how Torts used to go head to head with some players, often without much reason.

Regardless, I am curious if Peumpel was known as a bad egg before he unloaded in what was probably an emotional moment after the game the other night.

Thanks guys!

I think all of us to a poster are pretty fond of Boucher, so Puempel flaming him in he media is not a popular move. To answer your question, before he became a two timing Judas, no one here had any issues with his character. Just his bad play.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I think his comments show exactly why he was getting that ice time and those opportunities.

Many great rookies start on the 4th line and work their way up. Also, you don't need to be putting up a ton of points for the coaches to notice you and trust you. You just need to be working hard and doing what's asked of you from the coach. As it's been mentioned by many here, Hoffman, Dzingle, Stone are all players that starred on the bottom 6 and forced the coach to give them more time and better linemates.

Lazar, in 1 period after being called back up, was more noticeable than Puempel was all season.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Lazar, in 1 period after being called back up, was more noticeable than Puempel was all season.

To be fair to Lazar, he's always showed speed and gumption, but just can't put up the points!

Puempel on the other hand might have just signed his "AHL for Life" card!

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I see both sides of this argument. I understand how a guy like Puempel, who is a pure sniper, could feel that he hasn't been given a good chance with the team since he has played with less than stellar playmakers.

At the same time, you have to prove you deserve those shots by producing despite your linemates. At the end of the day, Puempel did have some opportunities with the Sens, even a few games with Turris over the years and didn't seize those opportunities. I don't think there were any effort issues when he got those chances but he didn't produce. Sometimes the puck just doesn't go your way and it is what it is.

It will be interesting to see how the sens react to him. Wouldn't be surprised to see Phaneuf or Boro light him up.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Anyone member when Daugavins trashed the country club atmosphere and the teams commitment to winning how the times have changed

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
As others have said, Dzingel and Hoff showed something. Peumpel, didn't. He didn't like to chip and chase, apparently, and I'm not surprised because he was lousy at it. He looked slow and disinterested and didn't look like a player fighting for his career.

Honestly, he could turn into something and I still wouldn't care. The Sens are right in waiving him and if this helps to revive his career, then good for him. No hard feelings!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
As others have said, Dzingel and Hoff showed something. Peumpel, didn't. He didn't like to chip and chase, apparently, and I'm not surprised because he was lousy at it. He looked slow and disinterested and didn't look like a player fighting for his career.

Honestly, he could turn into something and I still wouldn't care. The Sens are right in waiving him and if this helps to revive his career, then good for him. No hard feelings!

Summed up perfectly

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Returning players always have big games against us. He has to prove himself even more after the publicity from those statements.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I don't see the chip and chase complaint from puempel. Our skilled players carry the puck across the blue line. Our not skilled players dumped it in. If he was skilled enough to carry it across he could have. Hoffman does it. Stone does it. Brassard does it. Ceci does it. Karlsson does it.

If he actually had the ability to gain the zone with control he would be allowed to.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Because he is not that great a player? He is and always has been a 4th/3rd liner that can pot 10-15 goals? Are you really pining for Eaves 10 years since he left?

Eaves has played half his season on a line with Spezza this year.

Sure sounds like a 4th liner to me.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Eaves was out-pointing Karlsson a couple days ago. He's doing about as well with Spezza as Greening did i guess, career years both.

I guess one good thing that might come out of Puempels interview is that now the narrative has changed. Instead of being like Kaigorodov where we go through years of complaints he didnt get a fair chance, now the conventional wisdom story line shifts.

He was so close to getting through and heading back to bingo. There's still a chance he could find a role like Eaves. But just another reason to hate the Rangers.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
To be fair to Lazar, he's always showed speed and gumption, but just can't put up the points!

Puempel on the other hand might have just signed his "AHL for Life" card!

If he plays well the Rangers org or any other NHL team coudln't care less about what he said. Besides, I'm pretty sure the Rangers players have already had this conversation with him after the comments he made. He was emotional and it was a mistake... But there's nothing here.

This has absolutely no impact on his chance to stay in the NHL. His level of play however will dictate if he will be a NHL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad