News Article: Puempel trashes sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
www.google.ca/amp/www.thescore.com/news/1166157/amp?client=ms-android-rogers-ca

"They let you play here, they let you play to your strengths," Puempel told Larry Brooks of the New York Post. "They know there are going to be mistakes. They're not barking at you every time you come off the ice. It's beneficial."

"In Ottawa there for a while it was getting a little repetitious; chip the puck, chase the puck"

Someone should remind him that he failed to impress under several different coaches/systems in Ottawa.

Don't let one goal get to your head....

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
www.google.ca/amp/www.thescore.com/news/1166157/amp?client=ms-android-rogers-ca

"They let you play here, they let you play to your strengths," Puempel told Larry Brooks of the New York Post. "They know there are going to be mistakes. They're not barking at you every time you come off the ice. It's beneficial."

"In Ottawa there for a while it was getting a little repetitious; chip the puck, chase the puck"

Someone should remind him that he failed to impress under several different coaches/systems in Ottawa.

Don't let one goal get to your head....

I don't disagree with him in that he wasn't given a role he's suited for.

He was awful in every role he was given here.

All the best to him in New York, a place where he should see success as they score at will.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Scored one goal and all of a sudden everyone here's the bad guys. Goodbye Puempel. Great shot but he'll never make a play by himself anyway... He had top6 chances and never did anything with it.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
i wonder what his problems with Maclean and Cameron were? Wanted me to score all the time? Wanted me to hit people? Wanted me to forcheck hard?

I'm going to guess this is the last article of significance you will ever read about Matt Puempel and it will be insulting a coach who gave him his longest NHL run in Ottawa.

Alfies Moustache

Jul 13, 2011
North
Puempel played 52 games for the sens with 6 points. Dzingel has 10 points just this year. I do understand his statement somewhat because he was stuck on the fourth line, but he was given chances on the top lines/power play at times showing absolutely nothing.

Dzingel on the other hand was dangerous even on the fourth line, showing something at least. I will give Puempel the rest of the season to see how he ends up, but I would say it is way premature to act like he is somebody. He could probably end up waived if he has a drought or end up on the fourth line again depending on output.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
i wonder what his problems with Maclean and Cameron were? Wanted me to score all the time? Wanted me to hit people? Wanted me to forcheck hard?

I'm going to guess this is the last article of significance you will ever read about Matt Puempel and it will be insulting a coach who gave him his longest NHL run in Ottawa.

Puempel's strenght is his shot. Pure sniper. So we played him with Neil and Kelly over the last few years. Put Dany Heatley with Neil and Kelly, how many goals do you think he scores? A lot less.

You can't expect a young goal scorer (especially one with no confidence) to score goals without someone to deliver the puck to him. Puempel is the type of player that will go where he needs to go to score, he has a wicked shot (one of the best in the Sens org.) but if the puck doesn't get to him, then he's not effective. So I'll agree fully with him here that he wasn't given a playmaker like Turris or Brassard or even a guy like Pageau to really fully demonstrate and apply his skillset.

I thought 2 years ago when Cameron had him on the top line (when Hoffman was demoted) he played his best hockey.. getting chances and he was good. Of course you're going to look better with Turris rather than Kelly or whoever he played with but the point is that his skillset and playing style is suited for top 6 duties and PP and not much else.

BUT, I also think that to get a chance in the top 6, you need to show more than other players and I think it's just been against the "rules" of the team to promote a player that really didn't stand out compared to others (Hoffman, Dzingel, and others over the years).

All in all, I think Puempel can be an effective NHL player and I'm happy he's getting a chance in NY with players that can help him succed within his limitations which is only fair from Puemps point of view. I think he could be a Pirri type of guy with less skill and a little more grit in front of the net. He still can be a 20 goal guy if used in the right situations (front of net on PP and with a playmaker) IMO but that's just me.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Heatley showed he could score goals with not so talented people.

I'm also wondering how Puempel played with Kelly over the past 2 years considering Kelly was with the Bruins... are you joking and saying he sucked so bad he played for the other team? Don't let facts get in your way though. It's the end of the world! Just like when Prince left and now the Islanders are a powerhouse!

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

I'm also wondering how Puempel played with Kelly over the past 2 years considering Kelly was only here this season... don't let facts get in your way though. It's the end of the world! Just like when Prince left and now the Islanders are a powerhouse!

That's not relevant though, I'm not comparing Heatley and Puempel that makes absolutely no sense. The only reason I brought him into the conversation was to point out that goal scorers wouldn't score as many goals if they didn't have somebody Isetting up the puck to them which is only just a reality in any sports.

If it wasnt Kelly, it was sombody similar or with similar skillset AKA not a playmaker. I think my comments were only fair and I think you could see where I'm getting ...

Will need to adapt my writing for different people.

I'll be honest with you, this comment doesn't bring much to the conversation if at all and I don't see any point in posting without bringing any useful informationnor opinion.

I couldn't care less about Puempel leaving but saying he was put in a situation to show his strenghts in Ottawa is false. Did he deserve it? Not really. Which was pointed out in my original comment and you have COMPLETELY disregarded that. Bravo.

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

I'm also wondering how Puempel played with Kelly over the past 2 years considering Kelly was with the Bruins... are you joking and saying he sucked so bad he played for the other team? Don't let facts get in your way though. It's the end of the world! Just like when Prince left and now the Islanders are a powerhouse!

Was this when he played on a line with Kovalchuk, Spezza and Alfie, or Joe Thornton?

Puempel's the same player he was in junior. Peripheral and opportunistic. For most players in the NHL, that's not enough.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
He wants to be handed big important minutes.. He didnt deserve them. If NYR wants to just hand him things good for them hope it works out for them.
He'll be back back on waivers soon and I hope we put him in Bingo just to prove a point.
A player in his position shouldnt be bad mouthing anyone.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Hopefully Puemple doesn't whine to the media when he is most likely put on waivers again when some of their players get healthy.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
He was a one trick pony and he wasn't even good at that one trick.

Does anyone even remember him scoring one nice goal with his shot?

I can't...I remember a bunch of garbage goals

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Was this when he played on a line with Kovalchuk, Spezza and Alfie, or Joe Thornton?

Puempel's the same player he was in junior. Peripheral and opportunistic. For most players in the NHL, that's not enough.

He scored with those players - and when they were injured he scored without them. Puempel managed neither. Putting up Colin Greening numbers if you place him with Crosby is not a realistic plan for any organization.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He was a one trick pony and he wasn't even good at that one trick.

Does anyone even remember him scoring one nice goal with his shot?

I can't...I remember a bunch of garbage goals

A bunch is probably more than he has scored lol

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Not a good look for Puempel at all. Go ahead and say something like this after a year of success, not 1 game. Ottawa didn't treat him any worse than Hoffman when he first got here, or Dzingel more recently. He had opportunities to succeed, he just didn't bring much to the table. A goal scorer that doesn't score isn't useful. Putting him in an energy role with lesser players this season was just an indication that he had been passed on the depth chart, and rightfully so.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
We've seen guys like Dzingel and Hoffman come up from the AHL, make the most of their opportunities and get promoted to the top 6.

Honestly, this is nothign but a typical spoiled millenial (I'm 24 so I'm not some old guy talk about young people) expecting thing to be handed ot them.

All I've ever seen is "Puempel is a finisher he needs to be playing with guys who can get him the puck". Hoffman is the definition of a finisher and he managed to fight his way to the top 6. Why can't Puempel? Becuase he's simply not that good.

Suck it Puempel. Youll be back in the AHL soon

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Don't really care - what do we expect him to say? Blame it on opportunity or himself?

He doesn't need to blame it on anything really. Just has to say it's unfortunate it didn't work out and he's looking forward to getting an opportunity in New York.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Boucher was asked about his comments this morning. He cut him off and said he doesn't talk about other team's players. End of questioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad