Puck Drop Preview: 2014-15 Pittsburgh Penguins

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Ogre, it's a little more complicated than that, though. Kunitz was seen not as a guy who could produce 60 in his own right at the time. He was seen largely as a product of the Ducks' offense, riding on the success of better players (hell, go back in time here and read the threads in the archives after the trades-- plenty of Ducks fans were saying we got fleeced on Kunitz, and not because they were in love with Whitney and Tangradi). He was an undrafted journeyman, shuffling around the league being waived and claimed by various teams, who fit a niche relatively late in his career. Kunitz succeeding as well as he has here was again, because, while he does nothing spectacularly, he was able to slot into a niche in the top 6.

I'm not saying Spaling's identical, nor am I saying that he WILL do so, but that it's not entirely out of the range of possibility to wonder if his abilities would be a good fit in our top 6. That's what I'm getting at, not that he's the next Kunitz 2.0 or whatever.

On a tangential note, it's amazing how much the game has tightened up again in 8 years.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
But again, there is a huge quality difference there. Sure, people didn't see Kunitz as some great winger. But nobody thought he was going to come in here and score less than 50 points a year. That was the expectation. Any less would have been a big disappointment.

If Spaling hits 40 points, we should be absolutely thrilled. Its not out of the question that his abilities will fit into our top 6 better than the other 3rd liners we have fighting for a spot, but it would be a huge surprise to everybody if he proves to be a legit top 6 player here. It would have been pretty close to the same level of surprise if Kunitz wasn't able to play like a legit top 6 player here.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Spaling's a spark plug (pun intended) similar to Talbot. Maybe he has the same effect here with Malkin until better options are developed or brought in. Id certainly like to see him compete for a top 6 spot opposite of Malkin and PH. Malkin's tendencies and Spaling/PH's past chemistry could result in a whole better than the sum of its parts.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Spaling is like Talbot? I have never got that vibe from watching him play. I think people are overplaying his physicality.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Spaling is like Talbot? I have never got that vibe from watching him play. I think people are overplaying his physicality.

He doesnt throw 2 hits/game, but hes certainly a max effort type guy who works the boards and goes to the net.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Spaling got a lot of offensive opportunities last year that he just won't get here. It's unlikely he's going to surprise anyone with his production. He'll still outperform almost all of last year's bottom 6 though.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
But again, there is a huge quality difference there. Sure, people didn't see Kunitz as some great winger. But nobody thought he was going to come in here and score less than 50 points a year. That was the expectation. Any less would have been a big disappointment.

Go take a peek at the archives. You'll be surprised, I think. The conventional wisdom was (after your join date, I realize, and old history now) certainly not in line with that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not saying you're wrong. But whoever those individuals are (hell... maybe even myself) certainly were. Or just really big Whitney fans, for some reason. Kunitz was never the flashiest top six wing. But he came into the fold as a fairly established one. His hands, for one thing, are much softer than Spaling's. His skating is better. His offensive IQ is better. His pedigree is better. Spaling was tried in Nashville in the top six on an offense starved team... and the results were less-than-sufficient.

I don't think it's impossible. But it's a huge stretch. Hell... I hope he does it. Options there are very limited, as it stands. Er... well... realistic options.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
May have been discussed already but I haven't spent much time here this summer - Johnson mentioned trying Dupuis with 71 at least once. So maybe

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Dupuis - Malkin - Hornqvist
Spaling - Sutter - Downie
Comeau - Goc - Carcillo

That's a pretty good group. Still one more impact winger needed (and Bennett to work out) but that's about the only hole up front. Get that winger along the way and with a solid defense and great special teams we shoud be fine.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Also, Johnson mentioned liking "pairs" to anchor lines. Looking at my previous post, it's easy to picture

Kunitz - Crosby
Malkin - Hornqvist
Spaling - Sutter
Comeau - Goc

as those pairs, with the rest being somewhat interchangeable.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Go take a peek at the archives. You'll be surprised, I think. The conventional wisdom was (after your join date, I realize, and old history now) certainly not in line with that.

So are you saying people thought he was actually going to do worse with Crosby and Malkin than he did with Andy McDonald?

Also, Johnson mentioned liking "pairs" to anchor lines. Looking at my previous post, it's easy to picture

Kunitz - Crosby
Malkin - Hornqvist
Spaling - Sutter
Comeau - Goc

as those pairs, with the rest being somewhat interchangeable.

Ya, that's how I see it. With Bennett, Dupuis, Downie and Megna or Carcillo rotating in those other spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad