Puck Drop Preview: 2014-15 Pittsburgh Penguins

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Because KCD has worked in the past? You're being dense if you actually think KCD won't exist this year.

Really? What have they won with KCD? Regular season stats don't mean **** with this team anymore. I'd rather see them work with different line combos during the regular season.

Besides, if KCD exists that means Malkin has to play with two RWs. That's stupid. We've seen enough of making guys play on their off-wings in the Bylsma era.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Really? What have they won with KCD? Regular season stats don't mean **** with this team anymore. I'd rather see them work with different line combos during the regular season.

Besides, if KCD exists that means Malkin has to play with two RWs. That's stupid. We've seen enough of making guys play on their off-wings in the Bylsma era.

There is nothing wrong with players on their off wings. Plenty of guys are just fine on either side. Some even prefer it. I'd rather Geno play with 2 RWs than Dupuis. Especially since Hornqvist has no problem playing LW.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
For KCD to not exist there has to be a better option and there isn't one. JR went into this offseason thinking there wasn't a problem with that first line.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
There is nothing wrong with players on their off wings. Plenty of guys are just fine on either side. Some even prefer it.

Uh, this isn't the video game. I think we've seen plenty of examples under Bylsma where players were forced onto their off-wings and were not very good. There's no good reason to do it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Uh, this isn't the video game. I think we've seen plenty of examples under Bylsma where players were forced onto their off-wings and were not very good. There's no good reason to do it.

Some guys do, some guys don't. Dupuis can switch wings without much trouble. Hornqvist has no problem playing his off wing. It isn't some ridiculous thing that only Dan Bylsma did. Its a very common thing. Either Kunitz should be Geno's LW with Dupuis on Sid's LW, or Geno should have a right handed LW. Dupuis will not hold a spot on Geno's line.

penguins2946*

I think it will exist. I don't think it will exist full time.

I'm hoping it doesn't exist, but I don't have much faith in our wingers. If we get someone else, Dupuis won't be there. We don't have any in-house options though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm hoping it doesn't exist, but I don't have much faith in our wingers. If we get someone else, Dupuis won't be there. We don't have any in-house options though.

I think it will likely come down to health. Downie and Spaling could both potentially be better than Dupuis depending on how Duper and Downie have recovered. I think fully healthy Downie is better than fully healthy Dupuis.

penguins2946*

I think it will likely come down to health. Downie and Spaling could both potentially be better than Dupuis depending on how Duper and Downie have recovered. I think fully healthy Downie is better than fully healthy Dupuis.

In all honesty, none of them sound good in the top-6. All 3 options aren't appealing.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

And it comes down to the coach not looking for the slightest of reasons to bench a young player in a meaningless regular season game.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I have faith that Bennett and Downie will play better than a 35 year old with one good leg. At this point, I don't see any reason to assume that KCD will be together full-time. Nothing Johnston has said suggests that, and Dupuis hasn't even been cleared yet.

And to your comment that 'KCD has worked in the past,' it has never worked when it matters.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I have faith that Bennett and Downie will play better than a 35 year old with one good leg. At this point, I don't see any reason to assume that KCD will be together full-time. Nothing Johnston has said suggests that, and Dupuis hasn't even been cleared yet.

And to your comment that 'KCD has worked in the past,' it has never worked when it matters.

I think if Martin eventually gets traded for a top 6 wing, you can put a fork in Dupuis playing in the top 6 when everyone is healthy.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think if Martin eventually gets traded for a top 6 wing, you can put a fork in Dupuis playing in the top 6 when everyone is healthy.

I think there is next to no chance of Martin being traded for a top 6 wing. It would have to be to a contender, and a contender isn't going to give us back a top 6 wing for Martin.

penguins2946*

KCD has only been together for one playoff run. Hardly a large sample size there. I know Bennett would do better there, but I'm not sure about Downie. He was horrendous last year.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
KCD has only been together for one playoff run. Hardly a large sample size there.

Are you trying to argue that KCD is a good playoff line? It's not even the playoffs, it's any time we play a strong defensive team. The line doesn't work, it doesn't have the components it needs to be a successful line against good teams.

Dupuis was hard to watch at times last year. To the point that Dan demoted him. Now he's another year older and just had a major knee surgery.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
if you want Dupuis in the top 6, it should be with Sid and Hornqvist. At least he isn't so redundant with Hornqvist compared to Kunitz.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Are you trying to argue that KCD is a good playoff line? It's not even the playoffs, it's any time we play a strong defensive team. The line doesn't work, it doesn't have the components it needs to be a successful line against good teams.

Not only that, but how often do you see other coaches for teams like Chicago and LA constantly change up the lines in the playoffs? The Penguins need to stop acting like they have to stick with one combination.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not only that, but how often do you see other coaches for teams like Chicago and LA constantly change up the lines in the playoffs? The Penguins need to stop acting like they have to stick with one combination.

Duos man. Duos with Dupuis, Bennett, Downie and Megna rotating through the lines. And even with the duos, they don't have to be permanent. Throw some Sid and Geno together. Sutter can take a few shifts as 2C with Spaling or Goc taking 3C.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
if you want Dupuis in the top 6, it should be with Sid and Hornqvist. At least he isn't so redundant with Hornqvist compared to Kunitz.

Basically. Although after hearing about how he has no feeling in his knee and will be wearing knee-braces on both his knees, it's really hard for me to believe that he'll be even passable in the top-six at this point.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

MJ singling out Kunitz and Sid, not KCD as a basis to build lines and Tocchet (who will be handling the forwards) being anti-DB on wingers not playing their natural side gives me hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad