Puck Drop Preview: 2014-15 Pittsburgh Penguins

penguins2946*

"The majority of the additions the Penguins made to their forward group over the past couple of years have been wingers to play with Crosby and Malkin, improving what was already fixed instead of focusing on what was broken."

Uh what? Also:

"Considered amongst the best offensive defensemen in the league, Letang was having another solid season before he had a stroke that many believed would be career ending."

Unless my memory is incorrect, he was extremely bad before his stroke.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sorry but this is such an absurd statement:

The majority of the additions the Penguins made to their forward group over the past couple of years have been wingers to play with Crosby and Malkin, improving what was already fixed instead of focusing on what was broken.

Their bottom 6 was really only a problem last year (and possibly the year before as Cooke and Kennedy didn't mesh with Sutter as well as Staal). Prior to that, they had a great 3rd line and a mediocre 4th line. Certainly enough to keep up with other playoff contenders. Their top 6 wingers have been seriously lacking in quality compared to other contenders. It's tough to take what's been written seriously after reading that statement.

Not sure I'd call Spaling and Sutter "very talented" and Bennett is 22 not 20.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I basically discard every article that projects KCD.

You have to understand one thing.. KCD will probably be projected by the majority of HF. While the majority projects it, that doesn't mean we all agree. That's the part where we have to step back and disagree with what will probably be on the ice... but have no control.

Same thing as last year. I could project Glass/Adams being on the 4th line even though I hated every single second.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You have to understand one thing.. KCD will probably be projected by the majority of HF. While the majority projects it, that doesn't mean we all agree. That's the part where we have to step back and disagree with what will probably be on the ice... but have no control.

Same thing as last year. I could project Glass/Adams being on the 4th line even though I hated every single second.

Why is it probable that KCD will happen? The only time MJ has even mentioned it, he said he'd like to see if Dupuis can play with Malkin and that he's not married to any line.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why is it probable that KCD will happen? The only time MJ has even mentioned it, he said he'd like to see if Dupuis can play with Malkin and that he's not married to any line.

If Dupuis is healthy and can still skate well, I think it's likely. Outside of Kapanen making the team, we really don't have anyone else to plug in on that right wing that's clearly more talented than Dupuis. I'd obviously prefer Downie get the spot because we need a different dynamic there. I'm just not sure how likely that is.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

From everything MJ has said about how he wants to create his lines and the fact that Duper has said he still doesn't have feeling in his knee, projecting KCD just screams of laziness.

If you gonna write an article on a team, you should prolly take a few min to come up with realistic lines from the information out there, instead of just posting last year's lines.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
From everything MJ has said about how he wants to create his lines and the fact that Duper has said he still doesn't have feeling in his knee, projecting KCD just screams of laziness.

If you gonna write an article on a team, you should prolly take a few min to come up with realistic lines from the information out there, instead of just posting last year's lines.

So show us your realistic lines. Dupuis is at least just as likely to be with Sid as Downie. Likely more because of their history.

That said, the article isn't particularly strong. I just don't think the lines listed are close to the biggest issues with the analysis.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett/Downie
Dupuis-Malkin-Hornqvist
Spaling-Sutter-Downie/Bennett

Thats what I see happening.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He may be just plain brutal. I dont see Tocchet playing multiple guys on their offwings. I bet this board ends up hating him for it. :laugh:

He may be plain brutal but he is bad with Malkin, so I'm not sure why you would think that's a realistic lineup. He's either with Sid on RW or on the 3rd line.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
KCD will happen, but it won't happen full time. I really think the 3rd wheels are going to be moving from line to line quite a bit, at least at first.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett/Downie
Dupuis-Malkin-Hornqvist
Spaling-Sutter-Downie/Bennett

Thats what I see happening.

If you go with these lines, you'd be better off swapping Sid and Geno imo. Dupuis is better with Sid and Bennett is better with Geno.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He may be plain brutal but he is bad with Malkin, so I'm not sure why you would think that's a realistic lineup. He's either with Sid on RW or on the 3rd line.

Maybe, maybe not.

Johnston did say something to the effect of he was going to see where Dupuis fit -- including next to Malkin. Might just be lip service.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Whatever you say. None of us know anything concrete. We can only guess. Im guessing thats the starting lineup with Dupuis eventually moved down the lineup.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Dupuis has probably earned the benefit of the doubt in flunking out of the top six, instead of just being removed with no opportunity to stay there. That I expect he will doesn't change that.

Some will suggest that he already has, but it's worth noting he was the most-productive 3rd wheel for Sid last season by a substantial margin, suboptimal as he was. For comparison's sake, Bennett, Sid and Kunitz posted a whopping zero even strength points together over about 10-15 games. Sid's never had a stretch like that with #9. Penciling Bennett on the first and expecting something to happen is a lot more far fetched than putting Dupers there (though that's also far fetched).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
With our current wings, there is no reason not to give Dupuis a chance to earn a top 6 spot. I don't want him there full time, but honestly I don't want Downie or Spaling there full time either. Let the subpar options rotate in and out depending who is the hot hand at the time and who we are up against.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maybe, maybe not.

Johnston did say something to the effect of he was going to see where Dupuis fit -- including next to Malkin. Might just be lip service.

I'm not saying it won't be tried. I just think it will be quickly scrapped. Like, really quickly.

penguins2946*

I think Johnston likes running with pairs, which will probably be Kunitz-Crosby, Malkin-Hornqvist and Spaling-Sutter. Bennett, Dupuis and Downie will rotate through the other top-9 spots. If I had to guess, I would say that KCD will be the top line for next year. Geno's Horny Beauner will be the 2nd line I think.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
So show us your realistic lines. Dupuis is at least just as likely to be with Sid as Downie. Likely more because of their history.

That said, the article isn't particularly strong. I just don't think the lines listed are close to the biggest issues with the analysis.

Realistically, there will be 4 duos with rotating 3rd wheels, like MJ has said. IMO, they will be:
Sid + Kuni
Geno + Horny
Sutter + Duper
Goc + Comeau

BB, Downie, Spaling, Carcillo, Menga, KK, ect. will shuffle around till the best lines are found.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think Johnston likes running with pairs, which will probably be Kunitz-Crosby, Malkin-Hornqvist and Spaling-Sutter. Bennett, Dupuis and Downie will rotate through the other top-9 spots. If I had to guess, I would say that KCD will be the top line for next year. Geno's Horny Beauner will be the 2nd line I think.

Johnston already said he's going to try Dupuis with Malkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad