PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I was solidly headed towards PS5 first of the two, but this is a monumental game changer.

Games Pass is now undoubtedly the best bargain in gaming. If Elder Scrolls, Starfield and Fallout go Xbox exclusive that will seal it for me.

Reactions: aleshemsky83

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I was solidly headed towards PS5 first of the two, but this is a monumental game changer.

Games Pass is now undoubtedly the best bargain in gaming. If Elder Scrolls, Starfield and Fallout go Xbox exclusive that will seal it for me.
I'm still gonna buy PS5 for demon souls, but yeah, Im gonna be selling pretty quickly if PS Now doesn't up it's library and bundle with PS Plus

Which by the way, Sony is embarrassingly not rebranding PS Now. There are numerous members of the media that still think PS Now is still a streaming service only, they basically haven't told anyone that it's a gamepass competitor now.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Xbox lost badly last generation while Playstation and their fanboys gloated about their exclusives. Now Microsoft is buying up IP. They are 100% going to make this shit exclusive at least for a significant period of time. It's bad for the consumer but I guess this is what console gamers deserve when they justify a purchase with "well... exclusives..." and sit in their camp of Playstation or Xbox and just throw shit at the other side instead of coming together and demanding better from both.

I almost wrote a post last week about how backwards it seems to me to think that exclusives are a good thing and how buying consoles on the basis of them encourages the practice and leads to developers being bought up and more titles being exclusive. Obviously, I wish that I had now. What Microsoft did today was predictable. I think that it's also predictable that these games will be Xbox exclusives, at least for the first 12 months. The timing here, the day before pre-orders for the next Xbox open and just a couple months before both their system and their competitor's are released, is very telling. Microsoft is telling the world, "If you want to play the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout, choose Xbox."

That said, I did read about two potential benefits of this acquisition:
1. Microsoft may want Elder Scrolls VI to be finished sooner, so they might get Bethesda to focus on that instead of Starfield (which probably won't sell systems like Skyrim's successor will) or even just hire more staff to speed it up.
2. Microsoft now owns the Fallout franchise and Obsidian, the developers who made New Vegas, so there's a chance that Microsoft could commission the latter to make a New Vegas sequel.

Last edited:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Considering RDR2 was on gamepass for like 4 months, I'd have to assume licensing can get pretty expensive.

You're massively inflating the profits. A huge portion of those subscribers are subscribed at a discount (sometimes as low as $1) or on PC ($5 at most). Those numbers are for shareholders to oggle at and pump up stockprices . Once they set the permanent prices to something actually sustainable, we'll see where the subscriber count settles at. Even then, the model would seem to discourage proper AAA games and encourage Games as a Service multiplayer loot box games, which is another concern.

To me, this is a far greater concern than licensing fees and subscription prices. The last Forza Horizon was dangerously close and I have a feeling the next one might go all the way. Also the fact that they're getting into bed with EA on the subscription front makes me wonder what kind of collaboration we'll see in the future. But we also may get some amazing games out of this too. I don't want to be too pessimistic.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Game pass is definitely a great deal but for me, they have very little that interests me. Even with this massive purchase, if all those Bathesda games go to game pass nothing jumps out at me except maybe The Evil Within. Don't care about Elder Scrolls, Starfield etc. I do know that come launch they will have a ton of games added so we'll see. But for now, no thanks.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Preordered an Xbox knowing I’ll likely cancel it before launch if I can get a PS5. I wasn’t prepared for the PS5 preorder frenzy so I missed out. I was prepared for the Xbox one because they actually told us when it was going live. Imagine that.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Preordered an Xbox knowing I’ll likely cancel it before launch if I can get a PS5. I wasn’t prepared for the PS5 preorder frenzy so I missed out. I was prepared for the Xbox one because they actually told us when it was going live. Imagine that.

Even then it was very hard to preorder one.

It was suppose to be live at 8 a.m. my time. Well it f***ing felt like all of them were sold out exactly at 8 a.m.

Chris Pronger

Valar morghulis
Jan 20, 2011
Canada

Also the xbox will not sell out nearly as quickly as the PS5. You probably could comeback tomorrow and still find some

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I’m having to stop myself from hunting down a series X. I bought one of each, PlayStation and Xbox, at launch last time, but last time I wasn’t married. I think I’m already pushing my luck with one this go-round.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Also the xbox will not sell out nearly as quickly as the PS5. You probably could comeback tomorrow and still find some
I don’t know about that. I got mine at Walmart and when I checked right after check out they were already gone. Not sure about other stores but Walmart went quick.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
Managed to snag a Series S from Walmart. Total impulse buy as I'll probably get a PS5 when they come available, and it'll still be my preferred platform. I had to get in on the game pass though, especially with the Bethesda deal

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Still some available on Microsoft store. Buddy just got one moments ago.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Never owned an XBox. If I have game pass do I still have to pay for Xbox live?

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Never owned an XBox. If I have game pass do I still have to pay for Xbox live?

upload_2020-9-22_13-18-44.jpeg

You need Ultimate if you want Xbox Live included.

Reactions: 542365

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
How are they making money off of that? They just bought bethesda for 7.5 billion. Also assuming all bethesdas games will be available on gamepass.

I guess over time they will make it back? Lol.

I heard they got Bethesda then when I found out what they paid I was shocked because they will need a lot of subscriptions / console sales to make back that money.

Phil Spencer “confirmed” that all Bethesda games will be available day 1 on gamepass.

Spencer says that “with the addition of Bethesda, Microsoft will grow from 15 to 23 creative studio teams and will be adding Bethesda’s iconic franchises to Xbox Game Pass. This includes Microsoft’s intent to bring Bethesda’s future games into Xbox Game Pass the same day they launch on Xbox or PC.”

Future Bethesda games will be on Xbox Game Pass from day one | PC Gamer

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
considering gamepass has over 15 million subscribers, I would say they are fine in the making money department.

While this is not an accurate number - 15 million subscribers at 19.99 (eventually) is 3.5 billion dollars a year in revenue. I know people usually pick it up on deals or stuff and the games on the pass cost money to license (unless they're Microsoft IP but still - development cost).

I would expect the 15 million to keep growing and growing so billions in revenue is not out of the question. The only question is the cost of running something like Game Pass which I would imagine is fairly significant.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I got a pre-order in-store at EBGames.

They STILL weren't sure if the payment plan was going to be a thing in Canada, so I'm not sure if I'll get it at launch or just pass on the pre-order and wait til there's a game worth buying for the $500 up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad