Post-Game Talk: PS3 7:08 PM - Flyers 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I gotta say. Greer seems to be carrying himself like a guy who isn’t fighting for a roster spot (and imo he is).

Complete 180 from the guy we saw last preseason. Looks content. Not good.

To me Greer's a 13th/14th forward and a good guy to have in that role. One of those guys who's got a pretty capable all-round game - hard-nosed, willing to play physical, can skate and defend ok, not a complete offensive black hole - but doesn't do any one thing well enough to earn a regular spot on a good roster. What he can do though is step in at short notice, do what's asked of him, and be a player who's dependable and won't complain about his limited role.

As such, I think he should make the final roster, but as a spare who's sitting upstairs until he's inevitably called upon to fill a gap. Much better to have an experienced guy in that position than wasting the time of a kid just hanging around who could actually be learning something playing in Providence. If a prospect really earns a call up, there'll still be ways to make that happen.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
To me Greer's a 13th/14th forward and a good guy to have in that role. One of those guys who's got a pretty capable all-round game - hard-nosed, willing to play physical, can skate and defend ok, not a complete offensive black hole - but doesn't do any one thing well enough to earn a regular spot on a good roster. What he can do though is step in at short notice, do what's asked of him, and be a player who's dependable and won't complain about his limited role.

As such, I think he should make the final roster, but as a spare who's sitting upstairs until he's inevitably called upon to fill a gap. Much better to have an experienced guy in that position than wasting the time of a kid just hanging around who could actually be learning something playing in Providence. If a prospect really earns a call up, there'll still be ways to make that happen.
You just described Danton Heinen. Who can actually play on all four lines on either side. Even center in a pinch. He doesn’t fight. And everyone hates him. But he’s a better player than AJ Greer. That’s who I want at 13F.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
You just described Danton Heinen. Who can actually play on all four lines on either side. Even center in a pinch. He doesn’t fight. And everyone hates him. But he’s a better player than AJ Greer. That’s who I want at 13F.

Heinen probably makes the starting 12 for me, 3rd line. I haven't quite settled in my head yet what exactly the lines should look like, but I'm definitely leaning towards thinking he should be in there. But that said, you're right, Heinen is a very handy utility player. Would have no issue with him as 13F. My only question would be is he a guy who will cope well with being in and out of the team? Not sure about that.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Heinen has had a decent pre-season and given our lack of quality depth and his familiarity with the team and skillset, he should make it. That said, I do notice a dropoff from his younger days and wonder if the league has gotten too fast for him.

Reactions: Ladyfan

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Yeah I mean I’ll give him a stick tap for that.

Gonna sound harsh.. But for a guy who was an afterthought after various deadline acquisitions. And even when he was playing he was playing sheltered minutes.. I don’t think he should be content with coasting around in the preseason like his spot is secured.

At this point, I genuinely don’t see what more he offers than a Lucic, Lauko, Beecher even Heinen or Chiasson (Heinen has PK experience and Chiasson has PP experience so they are helping more than just 5 on 5).

I like the kid but I’m genuinely not seeing it. Not that my opinion matters and he could very well be on the opening night roster lol. Just not seeing the same hungry kid that came into camp last year that made it difficult for the coaches
I will take him over Chiasson for now but otherwise agree. I definitely have Lauko, Beecher and Heinen ahead of him.

Reactions: JCRO

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Heinen has had a decent pre-season and given our lack of quality depth and his familiarity with the team and skillset, he should make it. That said, I do notice a dropoff from his younger days and wonder if the league has gotten too fast for him.
When we saw him Friday, I thought he looked pretty good. He looks the same. IMO he would be a decent addition to the team but it is not up to me.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I just can’t imagine they would put that much responsibility on him. Let him worry about improving the defense. I mean shit, they played Gryz over McAvoy for a year to not put too much on McAvoy’s plate.
Ya your right. I was a little cheeky about my 2 weeks,but I have said for 2 years this guy has huge upside

Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad