Post-Game Talk: PS3 7:08 PM - Flyers 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
The only knock on Poitras so far is faceoffs - everything else looks like Bergeron rookie year to me. His pace, vision and the way the puck sticks to him are all NHL+ right now.

Think they start him at wing as a result? In the dot he does indeed look brutal. Be nice to shelter him from that.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Think they start him at wing as a result? In the dot he does indeed look brutal. Be nice to shelter him from that.

He's 12 - 16 in the two preseason games. I wouldn't be too concerned. Guys like Malkin, Getzlaf, McDavid and Point are career sub 50 percent at the dot. Stamkos is at 50 percent in his career. You can be a top line center on a contending team without being a faceoff champ ( not suggesting Poitras is a top line center ).

Reactions: Mione134

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Watching the bruins in 2 right now cause I totally fell asleep putting my 2 year old down last night lol.

Lauko stood up for Greer who doesn’t/shouldnt need it and fought the guy coming out of the box.

This kid has shown on many occasions he’s ready to do what ever it takes.

I’m a big fan of his.

Both Merkulov and Poitras visions on the ice are something to be excited about for sure

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Poitras was impressive along the boards and in corners, kept watching his off the puck skills. He took a physical beating, but did not hesitate to keep getting in the mix. I wish he was old enough to be sent to Providence, tough call to send him back to juniors(glad I don’t have to make it). Zacha looked a little hesitant early on but knocked the rust off and got into gear. Captain Brad played like it was mid-season and was in full snarl mode;) Of course!
Late in the game Linus was very slow getting up after a few saves, almost thought they might have him come out, seemed a bit tired by the shootout, but first full game and 35 saves, so not too worried.
And Heinen scored a goal, what more can you ask for a preseason game:rolleyes:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
much more assertive game from Merkulov

Lohrei played well, made mistakes I come to expect from a kid but had some real smooth plays too, like to see him go put some bulk on dem bones, get monster minutes in Providence to begin the year

Harrison- didn`t seem to get a ton of ice time and didn`t notice him once out there, so young, Providence bound

Poitras, one pass he thread to Merkulov who I was/am convinced Merkulov didn`t think in a million years would get through all those bodies was impressive. I`m a risk averse guy but he`s earned yet another look against another team closer to icing their opening day lineup

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Can Poitras hold up against the division duo’s Matthews & Taveras, Point & Cirelli, Thompson & Couzins, Stutzle & Norris …..

Or is he best served working on creating his shot, faceoffs, normal physical and mental development between 19 and 20? In CHL

You don’t want to screw this up because he’s pretty much the missing piece to a lineup that’s defensive D & G is young and skilled - has good top 6 wings
I thought he looked overmatched physically last night. He was game and that’s exciting but I kept thinking, imagine what he’s going to look like a year from now when he’s stronger and quicker, when the body catches up to the brain and heart.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Can Poitras hold up against the division duo’s Matthews & Taveras, Point & Cirelli, Thompson & Couzins, Stutzle & Norris …..

Or is he best served working on creating his shot, faceoffs, normal physical and mental development between 19 and 20? In CHL

You don’t want to screw this up because he’s pretty much the missing piece to a lineup that’s defensive D & G is young and skilled - has good top 6 wings
loving what I am seeing from the kid friend but I`m no hesitant to pencil him in, I want to see what he`s like against a lineup in pre-season that is almost like a starting lineup and give him a few games to start the reg season.

You are so right, don`t want to mess this up, if he goes back to Guelph, so be it, play monster minutes

I thought he looked overmatched physically last night. He was game and that’s exciting but I kept thinking, imagine what he’s going to look like a year from now when he’s stronger and quicker, when the body catches up to the brain and heart.
a little like Pasta who`d hit the ice if someone sneezed he was that skinny

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Wow, can we slow down here a little bit. First Poitras compared to rookie Bergeron and now we even expect Lohrei to play on the power play, let alone being the quaterback on the first pp line. Both didnt even play their first full professional season yet. I did see good things but nothing that makes me sure to know that both even can withstand the grind of 82 games regular season. Let's wait how they do against better NHL competition when the preseason games get tougher and then go from there.

Well, we are talking about utilizing his best skill, in a defense that lacks players with that skill. I would think QB the PP would be the easiest part of an NHL job for Lohrei,

remember we have a lot of D who should never be on a PP like Gryz, Forbert, Carlo.

Reactions: wintersej

LifetimeBruinsFan

Oct 12, 2022
Watching the bruins in 2 right now cause I totally fell asleep putting my 2 year old down last night lol.

Lauko stood up for Greer who doesn’t/shouldnt need it and fought the guy coming out of the box.

I’m a big fan of his.

Both Merkulov and Poitras visions on the ice are something to be excited about for sure

I’m a big fan of his.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
What happened to Greer? I haven’t had a chance to watch a preseason game yet. Just saw the tilt on YouTube. Looked like Lauko got a pretty good uppercut at the end all tangled with the refs

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Wow, can we slow down here a little bit. First Poitras compared to rookie Bergeron and now we even expect Lohrei to play on the power play, let alone being the quaterback on the first pp line. Both didnt even play their first full professional season yet. I did see good things but nothing that makes me sure to know that both even can withstand the grind of 82 games regular season. Let's wait how they do against better NHL competition when the preseason games get tougher and then go from there.
When did I say I expect him to play there? I asked a question because it is obviously the part of his game that is the most polished and NHL ready and even prefaced it by saying IF he makes it. The question marks are on his defensive play for sure. McAvoy is an amazing player but he has never been an amazing PPQB.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I didn't see it - he kept coming out of the corners with the puck, never pushed off of it. He got knocked down away from the play but that's a whole different story.

It's exciting what he'll be in a couple years, but he's also getting it done now too. Definitely looks a step ahead of the other kids at forward and most the bubble guys as well.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Poitras has more jam and stability on the puck at this age than Studnicka, another kid who needed to add some strength to his game. This week will be important for him - coaches are going to be eyeing Poitras to see how he recovers physically/mentally from last week's workload.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I didn't see it - he kept coming out of the corners with the puck, never pushed off of it. He got knocked down away from the play but that's a whole different story.

It's exciting what he'll be in a couple years, but he's also getting it done now too. Definitely looks a step ahead of the other kids at forward and most the bubble guys as well.

He got collapsed and outmuscled a few times carrying the puck thru center ice. I think it’s going to be better for his development if you give him another year to build up his core strength and learn to shoot more playing with his peers. That being said, he should be in the lineup every game the rest of the preseason to prove that wrong.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He played really well but agree - he’s just not physically there

They could flip him between Marchand & DeBrusk or Zacha & Pastrnak but centers have a lot of responsibilities

Bergeron was a RW to start

Krejci played age 20 in AHL

You can’t hurry love and you shouldn’t hurry your prospects

Lohrei a bit different cause he’s 6’4

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Totally impressed with Poitras. This dude never makes mistake , never makes a dumb play, never half asses it, always finds a the smartest play option. This guy has what it takes to be a top 6 right now, everything but the strength. If he continues playing like he has through camp, I say give him the 9 games. Still don't see him ready for an 82 game schedule but he has earned a taste.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
That defensive move that Lohrei around the net was nice, forget what period it was.
First period, was very nice, he did try it again in the second period and got caught that time. That’s what I think you’ll get from him as he learns. He definitely has offensive instincts and you can tell he is comfortable in the offensive zone where most defensemen seem lost or just wants to go back to defense quickly. I think if he goes back to Providence, he should be groomed into a PP quarterback. I think he can be good at it.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad