Post-Game Talk: PS3 7:08 PM - Flyers 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Poitras was impressive along the boards and in corners, kept watching his off the puck skills. He took a physical beating, but did not hesitate to keep getting in the mix. I wish he was old enough to be sent to Providence, tough call to send him back to juniors(glad I don’t have to make it).
It's hard not to watch Poitras even when he doesn't have the puck. Just so good and smart. Very noticeable from the first Prospect's Challenge game onward. He definitely has some elements of a young Bergy in his game. Someone posted a week or two ago they were getting Bergeron vibes from Poitras. Can't disagree with that. Not saying he's the next Bergy, but he certainly has a well-rounded game at such a young age that comparisons are going to be made.

Yeah, it would be ideal to be able to send him to Providence. No knock on the OHL, but Poitras would be best served by going up against faster and stronger players for a season in the AHL. Not convinced a kid his size would be able to handle a full 82-game season in the NHL. Big difference in shining in some preseason games compared to going through the absolute grind of an NHL season against the best players on the planet. His mind and skillset are there. Is his body there yet? Impossible for me to know. Have to trust the Bs organization to do what's best for the kid. Seems like he entered camp with no intention of being sent back to the OHL. Love his confidence, drive, and fearlessness.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
When did I say I expect him to play there? I asked a question because it is obviously the part of his game that is the most polished and NHL ready and even prefaced it by saying IF he makes it. The question marks are on his defensive play for sure. McAvoy is an amazing player but he has never been an amazing PPQB.

I dont know how we can say this part of his game is NHL ready because for me he hasnt shown anything like that. Playing on the power playing is reserved for the very best offensively talented players on the team. Lohrei isnt anywhere in that category. Nothing personal but I think we should pump the brakes a little bit and lower the expectations (like when will he be the first pp qb) when he hasn't really shown he is even NHL ready.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
What happened to Greer? I haven’t had a chance to watch a preseason game yet. Just saw the tilt on YouTube. Looked like Lauko got a pretty good uppercut at the end all tangled with the refs
I gotta say. Greer seems to be carrying himself like a guy who isn’t fighting for a roster spot (and imo he is).

Complete 180 from the guy we saw last preseason. Looks content. Not good.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Well, we are talking about utilizing his best skill, in a defense that lacks players with that skill. I would think QB the PP would be the easiest part of an NHL job for Lohrei,

remember we have a lot of D who should never be on a PP like Gryz, Forbert, Carlo.

Personally I think being the qb on a junior team is on a totally different level than being on an NHL team. I would let him eas in as a third line defensemen without being on the special teams (if he even makes the team). McAvoy, Lindholm and Shattenkirk are more than capable.

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Well he fought a guy who's 6' 6" and 240+, content gentelemen don't do that sort of thing.
Yeah I mean I’ll give him a stick tap for that.

Gonna sound harsh.. But for a guy who was an afterthought after various deadline acquisitions. And even when he was playing he was playing sheltered minutes.. I don’t think he should be content with coasting around in the preseason like his spot is secured.

At this point, I genuinely don’t see what more he offers than a Lucic, Lauko, Beecher even Heinen or Chiasson (Heinen has PK experience and Chiasson has PP experience so they are helping more than just 5 on 5).

I like the kid but I’m genuinely not seeing it. Not that my opinion matters and he could very well be on the opening night roster lol. Just not seeing the same hungry kid that came into camp last year that made it difficult for the coaches

Last edited:
Reactions: HustleB and lopey

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Same with Poitras. Both kids have shown more composure, confidence, and fearlessness than I expected at this stage in their development when facing NHL players. Really nice to know that the Bs have these two players in the organization.
These are things you can't teach, as well as speed and skill. You can always teach defensive positioning. Or hit the weight room to build strength.

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I was pretty impressed by the poise of Walsh last night. Also thought Lohrei looked a lot more comfortable

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
One thing for sure is the Lohrei will teach every other D man how to get a puck on net from the point.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I can see your point but he has played so well and has nothing left to prove playing in the O. I would give him a few games and see how he does.

I'm not sure but hypothetically, they could give him nine games with the big club.

Let's see how he does the rest of the preseason.

There's nothing wrong with letting him cook in the OHL. Ideally, he would go straight to PRO, and could be brought up at any time. Unless Lohrei makes it out of camp, which I doubt, that's what the Bruins will do Mason. And they should.

No need to rush either player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tbaybruin and lopey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad