GDT: PS Game 2: Dallas Stars @ Colorado Avalanche | 7:00pm MT

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If you only show up to play the 1st 5 minutes of the game then just cruise rest of the way, you'll lose to anyone. MacK is not even trying

They showed up for a lot more than 5 minutes. They played well for a while but couldn’t beat their goalie. I didn’t like the PP and play of a few individuals though.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
So do we tar and feather a certain poster now or later?

dw204mjuvv021.gif

Reactions: henchman21

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Byram looks like he could use some conditioning work. Every game, granted small sample size with rookie games and 2 pre-season, he seems to look worn out as the game goes along - resulting in him making a mental mistake.

It really is too bad that both EJ and Cole are out for the pre-season...as there is a huge difference in being paired with one of those vets....vs guys like Graves or Alt.

Reactions: Metallo

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Good to see hockey again (well, entertaining hockey I mean...I watched part of the first pre-season game :confused:).

No major complaints, though I was hoping to see Francouz get a period.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Burakovsky on the top line is worrisome especially to replace Rants but the hate already is overkill. Give the guy 5 actual games before we roast him lol.

He needs at least 20 games before we start calling him Kerfoot but the fact that he blamed his lack of success in the NHL so far on "opportunities" instead of blaming himself tells me that he won't get any better.

We'll see.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Fews thoughts:

- Good overall game. Score isn't indicative of how the game went. Avs outshot the Stars big time.
- If this is all we're going to get out of Burakovsky, I don't see him in the top-6 very long. He killed almost every play that went his way. Not much good to say about him.
- Makar-Girard was exactly as advertised. Got pinned in their end a few times, but they continue to excel at starting breakouts. Makar was especially good with his breakout passes.
- The 4th line deserves some love, they were awesome.
- Landeskog and MacKinnon were both a bit rusty. To be expected at this point, they'll be fine.
- Thought Rosen looked better as the game went on. He can really skate.
- Byram played decent, but I don't know if decent is enough for him to stick around. I think I'm leaning towards another year in the WHL at this point, but he'd be okay in any case.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Byram looks like he could use some conditioning work. Every game, granted small sample size with rookie games and 2 pre-season, he seems to look worn out as the game goes along - resulting in him making a mental mistake.

Bring Rantanen over and send Byram to Europe after TC and his 9 NHL games. Makar, MacKinnon and Girard are going to absolutely devastate the opposition. Please Mikko, come home soon.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
He needs at least 20 games before we start calling him Kerfoot but the fact that he blamed his lack of success in the NHL so far on "opportunities" instead of blaming himself tells me that he won't get any better.

We'll see.
I agree, I’m not over the moon on the guy but I am interested. Just seems like some guys here are all over him. He has some talent so let’s see what he can do, I wouldn’t want him on the top line but put him beside Kadri and see what happens. One thing I will say and this has nothing to do with this preseason and I’m sure we all know it but...we need Mikko back when the regular season starts.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
The good: Donskoi, Bellemare, Kadri, Nieto, Calvert, Makar, Girard, Nichushkin

The bad: Bura and Rosen still for me

The meh: Mack and Lando played like it was a preseason game (which is ok), Byram (good until the end), Grubauer (looked alright in the limited action he saw)

Overall liked what I saw but the PP was awful and even though it’s just one game it was enough for me to worry about having Burakovsky in our top 6.

Reactions: crue7

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's something in Donskoi's game that reminds me of Soda for some reason, especially in the o-zone.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
One game into his showcase and Nichushkin looked like the exact same guy he has always been to me. Flashed once or twice with a power move but was slow and had some trouble with the puck. I just don't see how he fits Bednar's preferred style of play.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Things that worry me:
-Makar-Girard getting pinned with no hope of breaking the play
-Our shooting, muffins galore & breadbasket aiming
-Mikko not here

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They showed up for a lot more than 5 minutes. They played well for a while but couldn’t beat their goalie. I didn’t like the PP and play of a few individuals though.
They weren't really trying

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I agree, I’m not over the moon on the guy but I am interested. Just seems like some guys here are all over him. He has some talent so let’s see what he can do, I wouldn’t want him on the top line but put him beside Kadri and see what happens. One thing I will say and this has nothing to do with this preseason and I’m sure we all know it but...we need Mikko back when the regular season starts.

We'll see more of Burakovsky before Rantanen returns, so he's going to get every chance to prove himself in the preseason. My issue is, once Rantanen returns, who moves to the 3rd line? Donskoi is playing on Kadri's wing, and he outplayed Burakovsky in a big way tonight. I think Jost earned his shot at a top-6 role in the playoffs last year, so they only option might be to move Burakovsky down. Donskoi looked really good tonight in my opinion.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad