GDT: PS Game 2: Dallas Stars @ Colorado Avalanche | 7:00pm MT

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's still early but if by the end of preseason it's clear that someone like Kaut should be on the team over others then hopefully they just make the decision based on play and not contract/waiver status.
I wouldnt hate Kaut playing on one of the PK units. Bellemare, Calvert, Compher, Donskoi/Kaut. Something like that.

Reactions: Avs_19

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Regardless of what Nichuskin does, Kaut should get another season in the AHL to really develop his offense with lot's of ice-time and PP minutes.

Let him marinate another year, with perhaps a short call-up to the NHL with a view of him being ready to make the roster for real next summer. Not coincidentally next summer we will have a few forwards hitting UFA's (Wilson/Nieto) and some RFA's (Jost/Burakovsky) in precisely the middle-6 forward slots Kaut will be vying for, which suggests that this is the timing Sakic has in mind for Kaut's development as well.

Reactions: MarkT

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Kaut and Byram should not be on the NHL squad come opening night imo.

They still need seasoning in their respective lower leagues.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
- Byram definitely has the heaviness, but I've always questioned his accuracy. Should have the best shot from anyone once he gets muscle behind it..

Ideally we'd have him and Makar on PP1 long term. Not going to be this year though.

Girard will never get a hard shot with a stick like that, it'd have to go against the laws of physics.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As for EJ, someone accurately pointed out why EJ's shot isn't great and Barrie's was. Barrie was able to get his through traffic and on net because he keeps his head up the whole time, EJ doesn't. I'd argue EJ has a pretty heavy shot but because he buries it in the opposition's shin pads all the time it's ultimately limited. And it took a little while before Barrie really perfected his point shot, so there's time yet for Cale to get his up to speed.

I think Sammy's shot will evolve as well, but I think we can all agree his point production isn't going to be on the same level as Barrie.

I think it was more that Barrie moves so much better laterally than EJ so he can find open shooting lanes more often. Barrie also takes a lot more effective wrist shots, especially from the top of the point, while EJ primarily takes slapshots from the right side.

I don't think G's shot is ever gonna be a huge strength, but he can of course improve on it. Players routinely improve their shots into their late 20's. All it takes is hard work and time spent on it in practice. He just needs to start shooting more in games. I was happy that he upped his totals in his second season, but he should do his best to up that total again this year.

Makar's shot is going to be a threat for sure though. It's already a lot heavier than last season, you can hear the difference when it hits the goalie's pads. I don't know why unrealistic expectations are always placed on him though. He doesn't need to figure everything out at the beginning of the season in order for the PP to be good next year. He can work on it throughout the season with the coaches, and I'm sure he will.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yep not enough torque. But then again, with a longer stick it would change his center of gravity and mess up the spinning.

giphy.gif

Reactions: MarkT and Avsboy

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't really want to see Nischuskin again. He wasn't terrible, but I see no reason why he should have a shot over, say, Martin Kaut.

Saw a couple of plays where he was half-assing it on the back check, or skating by someone instead of challenging. People talk about the Russian-factor, and laziness, well I see all the bad qualities in Nischuskin when he plays. If he wanted it bad enough, he could be a dominant power forward, but I don't think he does.

I thought Nuke was ok, but a little up and down, and didn't finish strong. I actually noticed him have a couple strong backchecks which surprised me. So this is another example of his consistency issues.

Ordinarily pre-season would make that not a big deal, but he's got way more to prove than most guys left on the team, so he needs to iron that out and stand out more often in a positive way.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I thought Nuke was ok, but a little up and down, and didn't finish strong. I actually noticed him have a couple strong backchecks which surprised me. So this is another example of his consistency issues.

Ordinarily pre-season would make that not a big deal, but he's got way more to prove than most guys left on the team, so he needs to iron that out and stand out more often in a positive way.

You think he'll make the team over Wilson?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
There’s no room the PP for him anyway. His path to the NHL is on the bottom pair and if he proves he can PK, that’s even better.

We will see, almost averaging 1 point/game last season for the Marlins, yes it's the AHL but still impressive stats for a Swedish defenceman adjusting to North American hockey. Like you are saying, this is the way it works if not considered being a star talent, you have to work yourself up from the bottom line.

I'm confused about Rosén though, why isn't he considered being a bigger talent with these impressive stats (??) also he has experience from the SHL and did very well? I probably missed something but I am not sure what. Then you look at this game, his highlights, his great shot and great skating? What did I miss, why are people downgrading him?

Finally the competition in Colorado between the young defensive talents is incredibly tough right now, this complicates the situation for Rosén.

I have no idea about his defensive pk killing stay at home type of skills, no idea at all. Just feels a bit weird watching him being used like that, pehaps I will have to get used to it. ;-)
Scouting Report: Calle Rosen has all the tools to be good NHL defenseman

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
We will see, almost averaging 1 point/game last season for the Marlins, yes it's the AHL but still impressive stats for a Swedish defenceman adjusting to North American hockey. Like you are saying, this is the way it works if not considered being a star talent, you have to work yourself up from the bottom line.

I'm confused about Rosén though, why isn't he considered being a bigger talent with these impressive stats (??) also he has experience from the SHL and did very well? I probably missed something but I am not sure what. Then you look at this game, his highlights, his great shot and great skating? What did I miss, why are people downgrading him?

Finally the competition in Colorado between the young defensive talents is incredibly tough right now, this complicates the situation for Rosén.

I have no idea about his defensive pk killing stay at home type of skills, no idea at all. Just feels a bit weird watching him being used like that, pehaps I will have to get used to it. ;-)
Rosén spoke in interviews (at the end of last season iirc) about his need to get stronger over the summer, by spending lot's of hours in the gym. He clearly knows that he needs to be stronger and be better at board battles to make it as a 3rd pairing guy in the NHL.

Another thing I noticed in an "all touches" highlight compilation from one of his games with the Marlies is that he can sometimes be a bit sloppy on his outlet passes. Overall he's pretty good with the transition game and does tend to hit his man with good passes, but he needs to cut the giveaways out more. That said, in the same game he also scored twice i think, once off an end-to-end rush, so there's clearly a lot of offensive talent there.

So yeah, if he's bulked up a bit and dials in his passing and focus I think he could make a nice impact for us this season.

Reactions: MarkT and 21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

In today's NHL setups, really only 2 defensemen per team get consistently PP time. You might get the random team that has 3 defensemen. Under the 2 defensemen idea, he's simply not beating out Makar or Girard for a consistent role. Fair or not, they organization has them higher in the pecking order. Under a 3 defensemen idea, he's competing with EJ, Byram, Z, and Timmins this year. There is a chance he could beat them out this year. Long-term... Byram bumps out Girard in a 2D system or they move to a 3D system with those 3. Timmins will be higher on the pecking order long term, and he's likely to have some issues getting PP time. Too many bodies and Rosen just isn't that level of player to get a favored spot.

Reactions: 21

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

I think Rosen is being penciled in as a 3rd liner because he's LHD and can replace Zadorov. However, the fact that Rosen played on his off side was interesting because I'm not sure how they intend to use him, if at all.

My gut tells me Rosen was not a mere toss-in in the trade. I think Sakic really wanted him. If he can pass the puck accurately, then all the better. It's hard to get a read because of the logjam with Alt and Graves.

I'd like Rosen to get a real chance this season and I thought he played well.

Reactions: 21

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You think he'll make the team over Wilson?

Make the starting roster or make the team as a 13th forward? I don't think he's beating out Wilson for the 13th forward spot, because I don't think they're sending Wilson down either way. He'll stay up with the team all year.

He has an outside chance of beating him for a roster spot, but he hasn't done enough so far to get that IMO. He's got to pot 2-3 goals in pre-season and be more of a consistent presence in games.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Regardless of what Nichuskin does, Kaut should get another season in the AHL to really develop his offense with lot's of ice-time and PP minutes.

Let him marinate another year, with perhaps a short call-up to the NHL with a view of him being ready to make the roster for real next summer. Not coincidentally next summer we will have a few forwards hitting UFA's (Wilson/Nieto) and some RFA's (Jost/Burakovsky) in precisely the middle-6 forward slots Kaut will be vying for, which suggests that this is the timing Sakic has in mind for Kaut's development as well.

I'm just going off of the Rantanen situation. I don't think there's room for Kaut if Rantanen returns prior to the start of the season and I agree, ideally Kaut should spend some more time in the AHL. However, if Rantanen isn't signed and Kaut outplays others, I think he deserves to start the season with the Avs.

Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Girard's ankle breaker and also a nice little deceptive turn to open up space for the stretch pass that set up the goal.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Byram is still having issues in the D zone but he's also still flashing signs of what makes him special.

In the first clip he sees the open ice Dallas is giving him and attacks the net. Then circles around the goal with his head up the whole way, looking at every single option, before he realizes no one is moving to get open, so his best option is to just put the puck on net. Didn't turn into a goal, but these kind of little plays show just how aware he is, and that he can create scoring chances out of nothing all by himself.

The second play is another example of what sets him apart. 90% of defenseman in the league don't have the poise and puck skills to take that pass off the boards, and go forehand backhand to deke the forechecker out, then gain the redline to dump the puck in, while also spinning off the hit. Most would bail on the puck and back into the zone, turn the puck over, ice it before the redline, or get smoked if they managed to make it that far.

He may not be ready for the NHL this year, but he's gonna prove his doubters wrong soon enough. Remember he just turned 18 in June. Imagine how good he'll be at 25.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyfysher

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think Byram will make the team. Obviously, a lot of it comes down to those first 9 games; but from the eye test, there's enough there to say he looks like an NHLer. He's had a couple bloopers in the pre-season, but he can work those out as he gets more NHL action.

I think Calle Rosen looked fine, but nothing special. A little better than the Barberio's and Graves' of the world. Once guys start getting healthy (and it sounds like they are), I think Rosen's two way status seals him getting cut from camp, while a guy like Barberio sticks around as an extra d-man.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The way I see it playing out if EJ, Zads & Conno are healthy for opening night:

Girard - Makar
Zadorov - EJ
Connauton - _____

With that third pairing puck mover spot going to some iteration of Timmins / Byram / Rosen / Graves...and Cole replacing Connauton whenever he's back, if there aren't any new injuries to deal with *looks over at EJ judgementally*

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad