Post-Game Talk: PS #6 - 09/27/18 | RANGERS @ flyers | 7:00 - MSG, NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Last point I'm making:

Callahan in 11-12 had almost identical usage to Anze Kopitar in 17-18.

If Kopitar put up 54 points, the city of Los Angeles would nuke itself.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, so exactly what Callahan turned out to be.

How many points do you think Fast would put up getting fed 1st/2nd line minutes while playing entire powerplays?

Fast 17-18: 1.76 p/60
Callahan 11-12: 1.41 p/60

That's not even close, honestly. And it's Callahan's best season.
What does what cally turned out to be matters? Should we speculate what Fast will turn out to be at 30 too? Cally in his prime hit 50 points 2x, Fast will never sniff 40.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Last point I'm making:

Callahan in 11-12 had almost identical usage to Anze Kopitar in 17-18.

If Kopitar put up 54 points, the city of Los Angeles would nuke itself.
Why are you comparing Cally and Kopitar now?? You are all over the place and your points are not making any sense.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What does what cally turned out to be matters? Should we speculate what Fast will turn out to be at 30 too? Cally in his prime hit 50 points 2x, Fast will never sniff 40.

We're using counting stats to compare a player used as a 4th liner to one used as a 1st liner (and an elite one at that)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why are you comparing Cally and Kopitar now?? You are all over the place and your points are not making any sense.

I'm demonstrating the types of players that get similar usage to Callahan in 2011-12. Callahan put up the points he did because Torts deployed him like an elite player. Almost anyone would put up 54 points getting that sort of usage.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
At the very least, I think Fast deserves better usage than he's gotten.

Remember when he was on our top line for like two weeks last season and they were scoring like twice every game?

We made Callahan our all-situations dynamo. I'd like to see us do half of that with Fast, especially since we're not exactly loaded this year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For the record, you can disagree with me on that without being a "casual fan."

What I mean by that is, the random guy sitting behind you at MSG probably thinks Fast is a scrub and probably owns six Callahan jerseys and wants to bring him back.

I know for a fact that @Richard Banger is better than that guy.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I know you guys don't agree with machine head...and I don't really either..I think Cally was a better player...at the very least his argument is fairly compelling and backed by empirical data. I don't think it's a ludicrous argument that he's making. Frankly he's making me rethink my stance...though I do really like fasth so that may play a role.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I know you guys don't agree with machine head...and I don't really either..I think Cally was a better player...at the very least his argument is fairly compelling and backed by empirical data. I don't think it's a ludicrous argument that he's making. Frankly he's making me rethink my stance...though I do really like fasth so that may play a role.

Agreed. P/60 is a very easy stat to understand, yet it seems like some people don't or refuse to acknowledge it. Callahan was getting top-6 minutes because we didn't really have anyone else. The 2011-12 team had 0 depth. It's what killed us in the playoffs. If that same Callahan plays on the Rangers the past 2 seasons, he's battling with Fast for the 3RW role.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
For the record, you can disagree with me on that without being a "casual fan."

What I mean by that is, the random guy sitting behind you at MSG probably thinks Fast is a scrub and probably owns six Callahan jerseys and wants to bring him back.

I know for a fact that @Richard Banger is better than that guy.
I have seen a lot of bring back Callahan posts on Facebook. I want to soooo badly let them know he's not the same player but it would be a waste of time :laugh:. But yes I do agree that a lot of casual fans underrate fast but at the same time I think there are some who overrate him. ( not saying you are one of them)

Reactions: Machinehead

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
This year or for his career?

People were disappointed with the pick because this is where most people saw him topping out: as a dependable bottom 6er. That's pretty ****ty use of a 7th overall pick. So people are hoping to see at LEAST 2nd line potential from him.

Now if people are expecting him to be a 2nd line guy NOW they're crazy. If they're disappointed with how far away from that he seems to be, I don't blame them

Edit: For the Mitt vs Lias thing.

If you feel 1000% certain Mitt will be a bust then you do not take him. It's possible the NYR scouts felt that way. They better be right though. If all you can get is a bottom 6er then you pick someone else or trade down. So my thought process is that they think they can improve Lias's talent to make him a leader and middle 6 player at the least. I can accept that for a 7th overall with noooo problem.

I feel like Lias' upside is Stepan. You take that with 7? Would have rather trade down to 13-18 if possible. May still have gotten Lias there.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I’ll take the kid who has POTENTIAL(ceiling) Selke written all over him than some ‘flashy’ kid who would probably drown on this hockey club for the next season or two.

Lias is a born leader and the best young Swedish hockey kids call him the f’ng SHARK.

Lias all day baby.

Holy optimistic batman! Give me what your smoking.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
You pray that Lias is Stepan.

Sign me up for that yesterday.

I don't disagree. But, I have heard people stating Lias ceiling is Toews/Bergeron. Really? He hasn't showed anything that would make you believe that he can be at that level. Please don't tell me about his time in Sweden. I'm only interested in what he is now.

Bottom line is this team can't afford to miss on 7OA picks. They need a home run at some point.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I don't disagree. But, I have heard people stating Lias ceiling is Toews/Bergeron. Really? He hasn't showed anything that would make you believe that he can be at that level. Please don't tell me about his time in Sweden. I'm only interested in what he is now.

Bottom line is this team can't afford to miss on 7OA picks. They need a home run at some point.

Hence my optimism.

Also, this strain is called ‘Kush Breath’

:D

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Having lurked for years, and signed up a lot later, I think this is one of the most entertaining PGT's I've ever read, and it's only pre-season! Who said this year was going to be boring :laugh:

Top stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad