Post-Game Talk: PS #6 - 09/27/18 | RANGERS @ flyers | 7:00 - MSG, NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The truth is, we weren’t quite good enough. And I can’t help but feel we overachieved to a degree.

But I also can’t deny that for better or worse, we did achieve. Outside of that final step, one could argue that the 2005-2017 era was about as successful as we’ve had in a few generations. One could also argue that we were one of the more successful franchises over that span. Maybe the most successful not to win a cup.

In many ways, the Rangers are almost a mirror of Henrik Lundqvist. In a given year there would be one or two guys better, but they’d fall off and the names would switch around. But the Rangers were pretty close to a constant.

Last edited:

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Selfishly, I get why, I’d like to not watch a bunch of guys not long for this team all season. But logically I’m all on board for it, I’m all for overcooking prospects
This is precisely why I wanted all of our prospects to make the team. It sucks to have to suffer watching a shitty team without a future in the club.
At least I got KZB, Chytil and Howden to make this season palatable.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They went to 3 conference finals in 4 years including a stanley cup final. They were never good enough to win it all but they were pretty damn good and better than most.
To be fair, the only thing I complained about at that time was Girardi. I just hit him a lot.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The truth is, we weren’t quite good enough. And I can’t help but feel we overachieved to a degree.

But I also can’t deny that for better or worse, we did achieve. Outside of that final step, one could argue that the 2005-2017 era was about as successful as we’ve had in a few generations. One could also argue that we were one of the more successful franchises over that span. Maybe the most successful not to win a cup.

In many ways, the Rangers are almost a mirror of Henrik Lundqvist. In a given year there would be one or two guys better, but they’d fall off and the names would switch around. But the Rangers were pretty close to a constant.

I agree with the part about the new era actually being the longest timeframe with success minus the cup.

But holy balls! This team would have been major ass without the King.

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I've had this debate with a couple people, I just cannot fathom not looking back on that run with anything other than great enjoyment.

Yeah, we didn't raise the cup but we won some really fun series and have a lot of good memories to look back in.

If you look back at that and think "Well, I knew we didn't have quite enough!" then come on, look at sports a little differently.
I do look on it fondly but I'm a little miffed that Washington got it done. They were our main rival during that time.

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Some years we overachieved, others we underachieved.

All cup winning teams technically beat the odds. No single team has a majority chance.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
This is precisely why I wanted all of our prospects to make the team. It sucks to have to suffer watching a ****ty team without a future in the club.
At least I got KZB, Chytil and Howden to make this season palatable.

I get what you're saying, but honestly I think I would have preferred to have Chytil and Howden start the season in Hartford as well - neither one of them knocked my socks off in preseaon. It sucks for us fans having to watch a crappy placeholder team for a year, but in the long run I think it would be worth it.

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
My prediction is Georgiev and Hank are splitting games by the half way point
If Hank gets 50, I will be very surprised. I'm not even gonna say it......just use your imagination. Many ways for him to NOT reach that. And ummm, no. He won't be happy about it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Honestly...a lot of theines and who plays with who...doesn't really matter...what matters is how the kids develop. I don't like that DeAngelo is sitting tho...that's my big gripe.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
You cite toughness and yet we’ve drafted Andersson, Chytil, Kraftsov, Miller and Lundkvist with firsts in the last two years.

And what exactly is wrong with those picks? Have they busted in your eyes?

Our defense consists of Skjei, Pionk, Shattenkirk.

Our vets include Zibanejad, Hayes, Zucc, Fast, and a bunch of other players who would not be described using the word tough.

You claim nothing has changed in 18 years and yet how could even remotely compared the 2018 team to the 2003 team?

See, THAT is where the disconnect is. It’s one thing to disagree and have reservations, but the evidence you’re using to support those conclusions doesn’t really fit.
Jesper fasth is one of the toughest sobs I've ever watched play the game of hockey.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
A 7th overall pick not contributing in their draft year is not even remarkable in the slightest. Even in their D+1 year that isn't remarkable at all. Most people don't think of 7OAs are sure lock impact players, let alone instantly.
(Not saying you) Are we all forgetting, that draft wasn't' exactly a "deep draft"? I mean, who was really available that was sure fire? Is that what we wanted? A player that was "hit or miss"? Gorton obviously chose the "safe route", and its all about timing, right?
Also, he essentially would become the "heir apparent" for Stepan (in a perfect world) and no one could ever tell me Derek was EVER a 1C, more a misplaced 2C. So, if Anderson ever gets there, we would've have gotten younger, right?

Reactions: haveandare

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Jesper fasth is one of the toughest sobs I've ever watched play the game of hockey.
He really is. Been watching hockey for 45 years, and he wouldnt miss a beat, nor be out of place playing 70's hockey.
Might sound crazy, but reminds me of Bobby Clarke minus the fighting and the surplus of teeth.

Reactions: haveandare

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
He really is. Been watching hockey for 45 years, and he wouldnt miss a beat, nor be out of place playing 70's hockey.
Might sound crazy, but reminds me of Bobby Clarke minus the fighting and the surplus of teeth.

jespersohotrightnow.gif

The grim reaper.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
You know, it's possible to have constructive discussion without sucking the fun out of the room. The team IS crap and they're probably going to finish bottom-five this year. Half the fun is articulating it in a way that makes it easier to digest. For example, at least we won't be subjected to Girardi fumbling the puck on the powerplay this year.
Spot on, and my vote for top post this preseason. Been reading this back and forth for 2-3 pages now. Really wasnt fun reading all of it.....but I did anyway (didnt want to miss anything good).

@Machinehead.....obviously you can say anything you want, but it seems you are majorly malcontent with being a Rangers fan. Hey, we've all been there at some point, but probably wearing everyones patience around here.
This is why I vote for above and kudos to "edge" and others for trying to help.

Hey its gonna be a long season.....lets try and enjoy it for what it will become.
If I remember correctly you couldnt stand AV, right? He is gone now and our new coach deserves some time, right?
So, I guess you're choosing to lash out on Gorton and Slats while giving yourself time to assess our new coach? Guess there is no set time, it will certainly happen, in fact has already. Uggh.

P.S. I like Pionk, but I can see where it seems that they're giving him the McD treatment.......they WANT him to be our next McD, and Brady actually deserves that, if anyone. Poor ADA, this is the perfect time to let him get BETTER with consistent playing time. And, poor Marc.....he continues to be crapped on. I get it, he is kind of hurting whats going on here.....he still has something to offer, we can't "see it", but its there.....just not worth the $$. I get it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If it was up to me, I probably would've started all three of Andersson, Chytil and Howden in the AHL to get a ton of minutes playing in every situation.

I think as a group they would receive the most minutes if they are actually split between NHL / AHL, whether 2/1 or 1/2 would be an issue of roles and assignments.

Reactions: Edge

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Furthermore, on a team that was a collective -37 goal differential, can someone explain to me how Marc somehow managed to be a +11? I know that stat category is somewhat skewed, but the fact remains he was on ice more for goals for, than against.
Must have been doing something right, or extremely fortunate. Just saying. Now we all just want to get rid of him, like a dirty ole' washed up rag. Concussions and almost lost an eye for this team......guess thats just the way sports are. We have a tendency to not treat these athletes like human beings, and probably because we are partly envious that they are making all this money for playing a sport they love to play, while we go to work (for usually less) and most have to answer to someone.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Furthermore, on a team that was a collective -37 goal differential, can someone explain to me how Marc somehow managed to be a +11? I know that stat category is somewhat skewed, but the fact remains he was on ice more for goals for, than against.
Must have been doing something right, or extremely fortunate. Just saying. Now we all just want to get rid of him, like a dirty ole' washed up rag. Concussions and almost lost an eye for this team......guess thats just the way sports are. We have a tendency to not treat these athletes like human beings, and probably because we are partly envious that they are making all this money for playing a sport they love to play, while we go to work (for usually less) and most have to answer to someone.

Luck and he was never on ice during 6 on 5 situations empty net situations (where players are docked a - if they get scored on.) IIRC his on ice save% was absurd last season.

He's a horrendous defenseman who does almost nothing right 90% of the time.

No one is bashing Staal the human, we're bashing Staal the player. I have nothing against the person and respect him tremendously, he basically gave an eye for this organization.

Butttt as a player, hes been finished. He shouldn't be a regular on any iteration of this team moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad