Post-Game Talk: PS #6 - 09/27/18 | RANGERS @ flyers | 7:00 - MSG, NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
One of the most under-appreciated Rangers since I've been a fan. At least by the fan base.

The players on the team know it though.
After they drafted him he was one of my favorite prospects, he’s still one of my favorites on the team. I couldn’t believe people wanted him off the team after his first full season, but I’m glad he’s been one of the few guys to sway the opinion back the other way

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
1962 - 2009 were ****. Then cups in 2010, 2013, and 2015. (Was just at United Palace on Thu).

Chicago had the unfortunate luck of being great at times when there were dynasty caliber teams out there. I’m mostly talking about the mid-90s, though they did have really good teams in the 70s and 80s too. There was one series against Detroit that merits consideration for the best playoff series of all time.

The Chelios-Roenick-Belfour-Amonte Blackhawks were awesome.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Chicago had the unfortunate luck of being great at times when there were dynasty caliber teams out there. I’m mostly talking about the mid-90s, though they did have really good teams in the 70s and 80s too. There was one series against Detroit that merits consideration for the best playoff series of all time.

The Chelios-Roenick-Belfour-Amonte Blackhawks were awesome.

As if we didn’t have the same problem in the 70s and 90s.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I still maintain that Fast is what casual Rangers fans thought Callahan was, and Callahan was what casual Rangers fans think Fast is.
I don't even understand what this means. Callahan was 10x the player Fast could ever dream of being.

The Fast overrating is becoming insane. The guy is a great 4th line, that can plug in on the 3rd line if need be.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They're different kinds of players.

Cally was a true 2nd-3rd line tweener who got tons of PP time and excelled there. Fast is more of a utilitarian player who you can plug in anywhere in a pinch and is a better 5v5 player.

Ryan Callahan was grossly overrated by this fan base. He had an excellent motor and balls of f***ing steel but he wasn't that good.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't even understand what this means. Callahan was 10x the player Fast could ever dream of being.

The Fast overrating is becoming insane. The guy is a great 4th line, that can plug in on the 3rd line if need be.

Yeah, so exactly what Callahan turned out to be.

Fast best year 33 pts
Callahan's best year 54pts
But yeah Callahan is what the casual fan thought fast is. :laugh:

How many points do you think Fast would put up getting fed 1st/2nd line minutes while playing entire powerplays?

Fast 17-18: 1.76 p/60
Callahan 11-12: 1.41 p/60

That's not even close, honestly. And it's Callahan's best season.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Yeah, so exactly what Callahan turned out to be.

How many points do you think Fast would put up getting fed 1st/2nd line minutes while playing entire powerplays?

Fast 17-18: 1.76 p/60
Callahan 11-12: 1.41 p/60

That's not even close, honestly. And it's Callahan's best season.
He will never ever put up the type of points Callahan did. Plain and simple this conversation is irrelevant at this point. I think Callahan is a better player and you dont.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He will never ever put up the type of points Callahan did. Plain and simple this conversation is irrelevant at this point. I think Callahan is a better player and you dont.
He would put up more if he got transfused minutes like Callahan did.

Callahan put up laughable totals for the amount he was playing.

.35 p/60 is the difference between Chris Kreider and Patrick Kane.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
He would put up more if he got transfused minutes like Callahan did.

Callahan put up laughable totals for the amount he was playing.

.35 p/60 is the difference between Chris Kreider and Patrick Kane.
Callahan was a better stickhandler
Better skater
Had a better shot
Better passer
And was more physical.

Cally earned his minuets.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Callahan was a better stickhandler
Better skater
Had a better shot
Better passer
And was more physical.

Cally earned his minuets.

Better skater, yes. Better hands and better shot, maybe.

More physical is a reach. I'll take Fast actually making plays with his hits over Callahan hitting guys who passed the puck 8 years ago.

Better passer is laughable. Callahan barely passes at an NHL level. He's just shy of the Circle of Vesey.

And you can conject all you want, but you're still ignoring that Fast puts up points at a pace a full line above Callahan.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Better skater, yes. Better hands and better shot, maybe.

More physical is a reach. I'll take Fast actually making plays with his hits over Callahan hitting guys who passed the puck 8 years ago.

Better passer is laughable. Callahan barely passes at an NHL level. He's just shy of the Circle of Vesey.

And you can conject all you want, but you're still ignoring that Fast puts up points at a pace a full line above Callahan.
Until fast puts up as many points as Callahan has in a season cally will be the better player to me. This is without considering what a warrior he was. And he was a good captain.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Until fast puts up as many points as Callahan has in a season cally will be the better player to me. This is without considering what a warrior he was. And he was a good captain.
I would literally bet my life on Fast hitting 54 points if he got Callahan 2012 minutes.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hell, Jimmy Vesey who is one of the most talentless offensive players in the NHL has hit 17 and 16 goals.

If you cram minutes down player's throats, they score.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
I would literally bet my life on Fast hitting 54 points if he got Callahan 2012 minutes.
But he won't because he's not a better player. Do you see the cycle? Cally put everything on the line and earned his minutes. If fast gets those minutes so be it. But i doubt will be able to put up callys point totals against better competition.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But he won't because he's not a better player. Do you see the cycle? Cally put everything on the line and earned his minutes. If fast gets those minutes so be it. But i doubt will be able to put up callys point totals against better competition.
I understand why it's hard to let go of Callahan, but if you can't see the validity of a .35 p/60 gap, it's not worth arguing.

Again that's the difference between Kreider and Kane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad